The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

Ask Me Anything Why email marketing is NOT dead - 53.71% open rate

SMTPBOXES

Service Manager
Service Manager
SMTPBOXES
I'm constantly reading that email marketing is now not worth it, it is dead as well as controversial theories.

Legend: B2B (Business-to-Business), B2C (Business-to-Consumer), ROI (Return on Investment)

Email communication is still essential as of 2020 and it will be at least until 2040 !

As we all know everyone working in an office has an Email. That is why B2B emails have solid ground. There is no alternative so far, at least nothing professional as Email is.

B2C emails are the ones where most concern is. But as a marketer you can focus on B2B or B2C emails depending on your niche.

Consumers/Customers won't have alternative to email as well.

Why do I think like this? Well, all email pessimist are based on the fact that email exists since 1971 and because technology evolves really fast it is logical that it will be replaced by something else.
But hey... Ever received a Viber message for a product? I did !
Is that an alternative ? - Yes.
Is it good alternative ? - No! Just no way!

Sometimes I purchase protein powder online from a famous store we have in here. I have put my telephone number for discussing the delivery time and if address is accurate etc. They use that number to message me on Viber for promotions as well as at least 50K people. This alternative to email ended bad. Same would happen with Skype and other tools intended for CHAT since their beginning.
Chat is a really good replacement for SMS,but it shouldn't be for Email, simply because Email has sophisticated SPAM filters that CHAT tools don't.
As a marketer you may dislike these SPAM filters but they are the reason Email communication won't die anytime soon.
When I was flooded with those Viber marketing messages I was constantly thinking that I got a message from a friend. When I found out it is yet another marketing message I got irritated pretty fast. So Viber couldn't deal with that! They did an option to block these messages 2-3 years ago,which really shows the weakness of how to deal with the situation.
That is why I deleted my Viber but never deleted my Email
------------------
Another proof - mixed list of B2B and B2C emails got 53.71% open rate
openrate.jpg

Behind this successful email campaign sits the fact that it was carefully created in 4 hours time!
Those points are covered:
• Email list that has old,inactive customers and targeted B2B emails.
• Subject title that offers what those people always needed, no blacklisted words!
• Good reputation sending server
• Engaging body content

Why you don't have such successful campaigns ? Well you probably haven't done these points exactly as they should. But this is your problem not that Email marketing is dying.
Email marketing is actually constantly evolving and a beautiful example is the Drip Email marketing. My personal opinion is that this is TOP ROI path and success for every business that can efficiently use it.

I have purchased an email list, I have scraped myself an email list, I have inherited an email list

This totally destroys all the mentioned above as tips for successful marketing and great open rate that may lead to sales. Those people are complaining that email marketing is dead as well.

There's a single exception in that situation - you have the targeting! No matter how you've got that list, if you have clear idea why those emails are collected into a single list and you are in the same niche maybe you can sort it out!

Unfortunately purchased lists are often (lets say 95%) lying about the targeting, scraped lists are often bombarded with SPAM (because if you had the chance to scrape it,many others also did) and your message cannot be seen, and inherited lists are often full mess as you don't know what you're inheriting.
Again - if you're in that situation there's no reason to blame the Email marketing efficiency.

Final thoughts

Why did I wrote all this?
1st - To stop (if I can call it) propaganda about that email marketing is dead, which probably annoys me as well as other perfectionist people that love to live in a world with more truths.
2nd - I couldn't find very clear,concessive and proving stuff, just general thoughts.
3rd - Your reply may be something that I can learn from as well.

Email marketing should be a way to maintain customers attention and re-sell to them, but not grabbing a list from somewhere with no targeting and good approach and make business.
Email marketing is usually enhancement of what you got.

Thank you!

I think email marketing is playing a very important role, because if I talk about myself, the first thing I check in the morning is my mails. And if I see something that I am looking for then I am trying to spend some time to search any discount on it. So its a good way to increase the reach.

I think email marketing is playing a very important role, because if I talk about myself, the first thing I check in the morning is my mails. And if I see something that I am looking for then I am trying to spend some time to search any discount on it. So its a good way to increase the reach.
Additionally, email is important way to communicate our customers everyday so that I also like you, sometimes check some interest topic emails. :)

To me, the subject of email marketing hasn't yet received enough attention. I've always been interested in this topic, so it was useful to read your article. You can see how long work was carried out on it, and how many details are described in it. Thank you for good materials, write to the forum more often, I'll wait for updates from you.

Marketers and buyers agree that no matter how much email marketing is criticized, it remains one of the most effective business tools.

The main reasons for mailing are increasing the company's revenues and brand promotion.

For example, MarketingSherpa reported that about 60% of marketers believe that email marketing brings a positive return on investment for their business. Direct Marketing Association claims that about 60% of consumers made purchases as a result of received emails.

I have been working in email marketing industry for almost 20 years.
When most people got a mobile phone (can't say smartphone at that time) we got to hear : Email is dead, SMS is going to be the new king
When people got smartphones, "Email is dead, people won't read their emails on such small screens"
When messaging apps became hot (snapchat/whatsapp and so on) : "Email is dead, messaging apps are the future"

I m not saying email won't die one day but clearly it should not be ignored the moment.

Email marketing is like rock music. At the end of the 70s, everyone said that rock was dead. In the early 90s, everyone said that rock was going to be buried six feet under. In early 2000, everyone said that rock music was replaced by rap music for good and young people despised it. Well, rock music is still here.

Email marketing is like rock music. At the end of the 70s, everyone said that rock was dead. In the early 90s, everyone said that rock was going to be buried six feet under. In early 2000, everyone said that rock music was replaced by rap music for good and young people despised it. Well, rock music is still here.

Yes,but I think rock music is evolving to survive.Many people hated Linkin Park when they changed the Hybrid Theory style. And after some time these critics initially accept it as "not too bad" until realizing they were probably wrong. RIP Chester :(
Here we have the opposite. New things are praised as the sure replacements but they don't.

I think open rate is the wrong metric, if i write any clickbait i will get tons of open rate, i think you need to see conversion rate with A/B test subject

sorry for my english

To me, the subject of email marketing hasn't yet received enough attention. I've always been interested in this topic, so it was useful to read your article. You can see how long work was carried out on it, and how many details are described in it. Thank you for good materials, write to the forum more often, I'll wait for updates from you.
I agree. As an affiliate manager, I keep telling my affiliates this is a fantastic opportunity but most are not interested in building their list or don't have it as a priority :(

Yes that's correct. I can tell you that I am having consistent open rates of 35% or more from my email campaigns so it is definitely not dead. However it all depends on a few things. Make sure that your email list consists of genuine contacts who have opted in to receive communications. Your subject line should be catchy showing some element of urgency, scarcity, fear (of being left out) etc. How big is your promotional email body? IMHO ideally it should be between 100 to 300 characters. Make sure that your DKIM and SPF headers are true and avoid using blacklisted words in your email. Sometimes that can be difficult and if so, use an image to cover for that!

However despite all this one factor to watch out for is classification by email providers. If Gmail puts your Friday sales email in the promotions tab, chances are your contacts may never look there until much later! Happens all the time with me and I happen to practically ignore all emails in the promotions tab of my Gmail inbox. But you can easily get around that by employing smart campaign tools which send SMS or Text messages along with or after the email is delivered so your contacts never miss an offer!

Assuming your contacts like your products and services, there's no reason why you wouldn't get better open rates.

avoid using blacklisted words in your email

Brilliant! Always check for these! So often a forgotten practice of bulk emailers.

Assuming your contacts like your products and services, there's no reason why you wouldn't get better open rates.

Exactly, good relationships result in trust. They'll want to read your emails!

Last edited:
email marketing in 2020 still remains the best and most effective method of attracting and retaining customers. It can keep your business afloat, or propel it into the stratosphere, with a potential ROI of up to 4400%. That prospect is just out of this world and beyond any marketers wildest dream.

Basically monetizing a purchased email lists using CPA Offers still works till now, the main obstacle is how to bypass the spam folder to make $$$
It's not recommended to newbies in this game at all.
I know some email marketers that have been generating 5 and even 6 figures per month using purchased lists.
Otherwise there is the classic method which is good as well, but you have to spend money and time to build a targeted email list using an ESP and a strong skills on how to monetize it.That's all !

Last edited:
I recently setup my mailing setup. All the DNS stuff is all good, mail-tester sore is 10/10.
Now, my next step is to warm up IPs.
How do you guys approach IP warm up?

We set our bulk email IP warm up to the our processors recommendations. Most bulk email processors have the options in the dashboard and recommendations for warm ups in the support documents.

I recently setup my mailing setup. All the DNS stuff is all good, mail-tester sore is 10/10.
Now, my next step is to warm up IPs.
How do you guys approach IP warm up?

Where did you made your setup ? At smtpboxes or another solution ?
There are various warm-up techniques and pretty much all of them work.
The easiest one is to pick 5% of your sending list volume (for example if your list is 5000 emails, pick-up 250 emails) and send them an intriguing email with the very best practices you have with sending speed of 1 email per 2 minutes.
In time gradually increase the list size.

MI
Back