The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

How do trackers count clicks on CPM campaigns?

Traste

Hi,

Newbie here. I did search a lot and couldn't find anything about how trackers count clicks. I'm using Adsbridge free plan, since I don't get many clicks yet (still testing). I see their basic plan covers 100.000 visits/month, but I'm not sure about how they count visits.

I'm about to run a CPM campaign with PopAds, so... which of these is the right one?

1. I get 5.000 impressions on PopAds and 50 user clicks: Adsbridge will count 50 clicks.
2. I get 5.000 impressions on PopAds and 50 user clicks: Adsbridge will count 5.000 clicks.

For me, option 1 sounds like the right one. But, if that's correct, how can Adsbridge know when the click occurs after the impression? I guess some sort of platform integration should exists.

Thank you!

Last edited:
The second option is the right one.
Adsbridge will know you had 5,000 impressions and also 50 clicks in your landing page.

Thanks a million! But... how do they know when a click occurs? I mean, there's no Javascript tracking (ie. Google Analytics) on the landing. So the network should pass that click info to Adsbridge somehow, right? And in case you use a network with no Adsbridge integration... what happens?

yes the second one
Cus u put the Tracking url in the traffic Source
so the impression and the clicks Count
if u HAVE any Issue or some thing u can't figure out let me know

Thanks a million! But... how do they know when a click occurs? I mean, there's no Javascript tracking (ie. Google Analytics) on the landing. So the network should pass that click info to Adsbridge somehow, right? And in case you use a network with no Adsbridge integration... what happens?

There should be some kind of javascript, cookies or PHP enabled for them to track.
I don't use Adsbridge but they definitely can track it without the network telling them.

Hey, @Traste how are you? I'm Alex, the AdsBridge representative, I'll try to assist you.

TY @servandosilva for your assistance.

Here is how it actually works on AdsBridge.

The moment you click on the banner is the moment of the first redirect, so traffic source adds the tracker’s unique click ID to the campaign URL, which in the case of conversion identifies the creative, on which the user has clicked.

Then, the user is redirected from the tracker to the offer’s link, now tracker adds its unique click ID in the offer’s URL.

Further, there is a conversion takes place and the postbacks are fired back in the reverse order. And here comes unique click id. Affiliate network inserts in the tracker’s postback a click id, which had received at the time of redirect from tracker to the offer and fires this postback. Tracker catches the conversion, matches click id with its database and records information about the conversion in the statistics.

Next tracker substitutes a click id, which had received in URL at the time of redirect from tracker when the user clicked on the ad and fires postback. Traffic source also matches click ID with its database and records this data in the statistics.

so, basically the scheme looks as follows

Copy-of-Beginners-Guide-To-Affiliate-Marketing-Google-Презентации-Google-Chrome-2016-07-29-10.55.51.png

Thanks @Alex_O99. Great explanation, although I still don't see how Adsbridge can count impressions and clicks without the network passing those values. For me, these two steps are different:

Un3vQTPXIOXJ5aSNUv82T67L6t0v7i.png

After the redirect jump to affiliate link (offer), an impression occurs (does this count as a visit?), and when the user clicks on the offer a new hit occurs (how can Adsbridge know this happened?).

According to folks here, looks like AB can track both impressions and clicks, which is great, but I don't see it yet. Sorry for being such a pain in the ass, but this is important to me when calculating tracking costs. Thanks!

Sure, here are AdsBridge metrics:
Impression - is a metric that indicates how many times an advertising link or banner is displayed
Visit - redirect through campaing's link
Click - redirect through the offers link

If you have a flow with LP, the click on the banner will be counted as a visit.
So, the redirect jump to affiliate link (offer) - is counted as a click.

Screenshot “AdsBridge - Next generation tracker and landing page builder! - Google Chrome 2016-08-08 12.12.43.png” then you can set filters according to your needs in stats

We also have a detailed instuction how to tracker impressions, I also can send it to you.

Sure, here are AdsBridge metrics:
Impression - is a metric that indicates how many times an advertising link or banner is displayed
Visit - redirect through campaing's link
Click - redirect through the offers link

If you have a flow with LP, the click on the banner will be counted as a visit.
So, the redirect jump to affiliate link (offer) - is counted as a click.

Thanks for putting up with my questioning.

This clarifies what counts as a visit, regarding your subscription plans limits. Sorry, but you still haven't said anything about how can Adsbridge count clicks on the offer landing page. I guess that's not possible if the network is not, somehow, integrated into AD, right?

About tracking impressions, I'm familiar with it. I know how to add the tracking pixel to the landing when that's possible (I have experience with Analytics and DCM), but thanks anyway for the detailed info :)

Thank you!

Quick question that could help us clear this out.

Do you want to track clicks from your pre lander to the offer lander (landing page is hosted by you)?
Or clicks in the offer page only (being the offer from some advertiser)?

If it's the first one, the tracker uses their technology to track the click.
If you're talking about the second one, then you normally don't know, but you get the conversion data instead of the clicks.

Quick question that could help us clear this out.

Do you want to track clicks from your pre lander to the offer lander (landing page is hosted by you)?
Or clicks in the offer page only (being the offer from some advertiser)?

If it's the first one, the tracker uses their technology to track the click.
If you're talking about the second one, then you normally don't know, but you get the conversion data instead of the clicks.

Thanks @servandosilva. Actually, it's not any of them. What you just said is what I knew (guessed) before I asked (sin ánimo de ofenderte).

But in your original response you said: "Adsbridge will know you had 5,000 impressions and also 50 clicks in your landing page."

That's what I struggle with. How come could AB know that you had 50 clicks on the landing (offer page) if there's no integration whatsoever. I know conversions are later passed back to the tracker, but I don't think clicks are too. Anyway, my original question is already answered and I thank you all for being so kind.

Thanks @servandosilva. Actually, it's not any of them. What you just said is what I knew (guessed) before I asked (sin ánimo de ofenderte).

But in your original response you said: "Adsbridge will know you had 5,000 impressions and also 50 clicks in your landing page."

That's what I struggle with. How come could AB know that you had 50 clicks on the landing (offer page) if there's no integration whatsoever. I know conversions are later passed back to the tracker, but I don't think clicks are too. Anyway, my original question is already answered and I thank you all for being so kind.

The landing page is not the offer page. That's why you're confusing it.

In PopAds you are buying impression directly to your landing page. Let's say you buy 1,000 visits and every time a visit loads they track it with the adsbridge campaign link.

Next step comes when the user clicks a button in your landing page and they now go to the offer page. Adsbridge tracks this with a unique link.

Next is the offer page, which is not the same as the prelander (or landing page as everybody knows them). In the offer page you CAN'T track anything except for conversions which are given by the network through a postback.

So when you say: "How come could AB know that you had 50 clicks on the landing (offer page)" you're getting it wrong because the landing is NOT the offer page.

The process is: Traffic source -> landing page -> offer page

And as I mentioned above a couple times. There is NO integration with the OFFER page (NOT the LANDING page/prelander) and so you can't track clicks there. Just conversions.

Thanks @servandosilva . And sorry about the misunderstanding. I was never talking about what you call a landing page. I was talking about the network landing page (offer page). For me it was too obvious that you can track impressions in the landing page adding a tracking pixel, if you own/can edit the LP.

From now on I'll make sure I specify wether I'm talking about landing page (which you're able to edit) or offer page.

Saludos!

Thanks @servandosilva . And sorry about the misunderstanding. I was never talking about what you call a landing page. I was talking about the network landing page (offer page). For me it was too obvious that you can track impressions in the landing page adding a tracking pixel, if you own/can edit the LP.

From now on I'll make sure I specify wether I'm talking about landing page (which you're able to edit) or offer page.

Saludos!
No problem mate.
Both are landing pages, of course, but in this world we usually call it the offer page or the pre sell/pre lander page to separate things :)

Keep rocking.

MI
Back