The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Tracking after custom redirection to offer

TheDanmit

Hello Guys,

So let me describe to you my current issue.

I send people to my landing page where they can join my list and if they do, they are automatically redirected from my landing page to the offer. And here is the problem after this redirection I'm not able to tell who converter, I cannot redirect them to tracking link because I will get "Too many redirects error"

How should I solve this?

Also what kind of tracking are you guys using for your email sequence?

Thanks in advance

Hello @TheDanmit

I believe you'll need to classify the opt-in (info submission) as the "offer" and the offer as an "upsell" in this scenario.

This means your campaign would be a direct-linked campaign: traffic source to offer ("offer" being your landing page with the chance to submit info and opt-in). Now, when they convert and opt into your list, they are directed to an upsell and they can be identified easier.

If using ThriveTracker to handle this, you would use our Method 1. You can read more about how this works in our blog post on the topic.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions you have on this!

Cheers,

Hello @TheDanmit

I believe you'll need to classify the opt-in (info submission) as the "offer" and the offer as an "upsell" in this scenario.

This means your campaign would be a direct-linked campaign: traffic source to offer ("offer" being your landing page with the chance to submit info and opt-in). Now, when they convert and opt into your list, they are directed to an upsell and they can be identified easier.

If using ThriveTracker to handle this, you would use our Method 1. You can read more about how this works in our blog post on the topic.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions you have on this!

Cheers,

Yes Stephen, I can do that but if I will scrap thank you page I will not be able to track opt ins via google analytics and facebook pixel

the offer owner notifies you of conversions or the network?
When a referral is sent to the point of sale you need to add a parameter that the seller will post back.
referral landing_page.domain/page.php?utm_$x=$y -> link to offer/ ...? utm_$x=$y ==> offer post_back?utm_$x=$y

utm_$x=$y is the value transmitted back.
Where it is transmitted back? If it can be? NFI (no frickin' idea).

Cobbling together a mess of servers is often not easy.

I can do that but if I will scrap thank you page I will not be able to track opt ins via google analytics and facebook pixel

Just curious why you would scrap the thank you page in this case? You can still have the thank you page in between the initial opt-in (offer 1) and the upsell (offer 2).

You could configure your thank you page to still register the same data to google analytics and fire the FB pixel, then automatically redirect to your upsell. You can find more info on this setup here: How do I redirect to another webpage?

Perhaps I am missing something in my understanding? Let me know :)

I will not be able to track opt ins via google analytics and facebook pixel
pass the variable through the thank-you page too?
You can identify individual events by appending the tracking id with an identifier that you generate using a random function of some type

PHP:
<?php

$seed= rand(2395810,12000034);
echo "$seed";

So:

utm_$x=$y{+$seed}

{}see String interpolation - Wikipedia

Last edited:
pass the variable through the thank-you page too?
You can identify individual events by appending the tracking id with an identifier that you generate using a random function of some type

PHP:
<?php

$seed= rand(2395810,12000034);
echo "$seed";

So:

utm_$x=$y{+$seed}

{}see String interpolation - Wikipedia

Wow, thanks but unfortunately I'm not a big friend with programming. I'm trying to wrap my head around this

Just curious why you would scrap the thank you page in this case? You can still have the thank you page in between the initial opt-in (offer 1) and the upsell (offer 2).

You could configure your thank you page to still register the same data to google analytics and fire the FB pixel, then automatically redirect to your upsell. You can find more info on this setup here: How do I redirect to another webpage?

Perhaps I am missing something in my understanding? Let me know :)

I probably could I just need to take deeper links which you provided

Thanks

Ok, so I changed my redirect code to :

<script>

setTimeout(function () {

window.location.replace("myoffer");
}, 2000);

</script>

I will test if it will work for people and then I will replace myoffer.com with tracking link

Last edited:
Yeah, I just a through-out of an idea part that is part of a schema I have been thinking about.

The Referral's Conversion Journey

What if:
the landing page generated a random code fragment (user identifier) that would be added as a parameter to all of that page's link (or specific functions)? then you could track each individual user's actions through your funnel. for more detail you could log the user id code that you have generated along with attributes of that user GEO, ip address & other 'fingerprint' items.

This is about cross-domain tracking within a defined and limited purpose.

This is public data that the user voluntarily gives you when he uses the Internet (same as a vehicle driving down the public street). In USA 4th Amendment law this is like the 'plain sight rule' for search and seizure. As long as you do not share that data with a 3rd party without the person's (other party's consent) --then in my opinion (not intended as legal advise), that is exempt from the EU GDPR. As soon as that person opened a browser he started traveling on the Internet Highway and in plain sight. Sort of a Catch22 or a Gotcha :)

Back to the point: You could observe that now identified user/referral. This has been done for years with session cookie data <<< that is how Google-Analytics tracks best new/returning is a good example.

yes I understand I guess Im currently trying to setup my tracker and my thank you page as an upsell but it is really annoying

Wow, thanks but unfortunately I'm not a big friend with programming. I'm trying to wrap my head around this
Yeah, I just a through-out of an idea part that is part of a schema I have been thinking about.

The Referral's Conversion Journey

What if:
the landing page generated a random code fragment (user identifier) that would be added as a parameter to all of that page's link (or specific functions)? then you could track each individual user's actions through your funnel. for more detail you could log the user id code that you have generated along with attributes of that user GEO, ip address & other 'fingerprint' items.

This is about cross-domain tracking within a defined and limited purpose.

This is public data that the user voluntarily gives you when he uses the Internet (same as a vehicle driving down the public street). In USA 4th Amendment law this is like the 'plain sight rule' for search and seizure. As long as you do not share that data with a 3rd party without the person's (other party's consent) --then in my opinion (not intended as legal advise), that is exempt from the EU GDPR. As soon as that person opened a browser he started traveling on the Internet Highway and in plain sight. Sort of a Catch22 or a Gotcha :)

Back to the point: You could observe that now identified user/referral. This has been done for years with session cookie data <<< that is how Google-Analytics tracks best new/returning is a good example.

MI
Back