Native Ads Being Watched Closely Again By The FTC

Certified

T J Tutor

GM
Administrator
Certified Vendor
Dojo Master
AffKit
The FTC is ramping up again with its objections and monitoring of native ads.

According to the article on PaceDM
by Michael Levanduski 04-19-2016

"The FTC has issued a statement to fashion giant Lord & Taylor concerning their use of native ads and paid promotions on social media outlets. While the statement was directed specifically at this one company, the contents can be applied to anyone using this type of marketing for their businesses.

The statement comes shortly after Lord & Taylor settled charges from the FTC stating that they did not properly disclose the fact that certain posts were actually advertisements.
"

We all need to be certain that our native advertising is identified as an advertisement. That's exactly what L&T got nabbed for. Their native ads were not being identified as ads. All of us need to get on the bandwagon with this. Anytime we run these types of campaigns, be sure to verify that they are being displayed with a note above the ad (this is where the FTC wants to see the identifier) that denotes the content as an advertisement.

"As the FTC continues to crack down on social media and native advertising, it is quickly becoming clear just how important it is to use the proper phrasing to avoid the attention of the regulatory agency. Some marketers continue to try to walk the line between compliance and getting potential customers to read and be influenced by an ad. Over time, this is likely going to backfire on companies of all sizes."

This should not stop you, or deter you, we as business people just need to be sure we play the game by following the government policies of the countries we market to.

Thanks for let us know about the new govt issue. We are the marketers and nobody able to stop us. Simply need to follow the rules and make the profit.

I sort of get it but does the FTC not have better things to do? Seriously.

I think they relish finding even the smallest slights. They probably run contests. :)

That being said...instead of using the hashtag #ad on Twitter, I guess I'd better start using #advertisement. Bummer but an easy fix.

MI
Back