The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

How To Avoid My Emails To Mark As Spam?

Happy Marketer

affiliate
Hi, I am relatively new in email marketing. I saw marketers are often worried about spamming. I am wondering if someone send my email to the spam folder then I lost one active client. Looking for your advice to avoid spamming.

Hi, I am relatively new in email marketing. I saw marketers are often worried about spamming. I am wondering if someone send my email to the spam folder then I lost one active client. Looking for your advice to avoid spamming.
Hello, it is a very bad habit to spam your potential customers. The reason being, you will rarely get in touch with someone since they barely check their spam. The best thing for you to do is finding out more about the service provider in terms of hosting. Be sure to research on the advantages and the shortcomings. Avoid cheap services, they will cost you.

You need to careful of something. For example subject line, body test/image, sending option, people reaction. Do not promote all the time. Send some tips and share free ebooks.

Get your leads to whitelist your email address by placing it in their contact list. Make sure the software used for sending uses the list unsubscribe header and put your unsubscribe links at the top of your email. It's 2016 and there's no excuse for not using some form of automation to trigger email delivery on behavior.

Key things here are don't buy contact lists (i.e. build your contact list legitimately), and be sure to use a platform that properly handles things like unsubscribes, bounces, and being marked as spam. Yes your email client will inform the sender when an email has been marked as spam. So in summary while it hurts to have an email be marked as spam, it hurts a lot more to have your entire account marked as "spammy"

You should check your IP reputation at mxtoolbox or senderscore and also run the email you plan to send through a site like mail-tester to see if there is anything in your email that sets off a red flag

Yes, the above posters have posted all the correct info.
If you run your own mailserver, make sure you have all the required sneding protocols in place, feedback loops, whitelisting requests with all the major ISP's. Try and not send each email out with some spammy link for them to buy from you. Give stuff away, get users interested in opening your emails and clicking links. ISP's rely heavily on subscriber activity to determine your trustworthyness.

I almost forgot. Everything mentioned in this thread is correct, but that's only half the battle. The aforementioned suggestions ensure deliverability (it's not the same as inboxing which most people mistakenly think is the same).

You have to get pass these "guys" below to get to the inbox. These are the services that keeps a history of your mailing and determine if you mail is inboxed, spammed or outright rejected. The yellows are pretty much easy if you aren't doing any blatant crap. The reds? You'd better be on the up and up, especially with Yahoo.

image.png

The best way to get good inboxing is to use autoresponders that your sending using shared IPs. That way you piggyback off the good IP reputation built by all users.

This doesn't guarantee you will inbox all the time or all domains. You need to seed your list and perform tests before sending and make required changes if necessary to get decent inboxing.

Additionally, if you have a big enough list, you should test many services and see what domains they are able to inbox the best and then move your data appropriately between them.

Yeah, we would often deploy multi-smtp servers which has the capacity to block sending to certian domains if they perform poorly with that ISP.

Email marketing is essentially about building up trust with your users. If someone signed up to a site of your then they are interested in what you do, now you need to establish a rapport with them by keeping them updated with your sites developments and products etc.

So to avoid spam in your emails -
- use some kind of mail tester to check your code - (eg Litmus, if your Send System doesn't have one)
- avoid spammy words (eg bonus, make millions, jackpot, that kind of thing)
- make sure you have a good text:image ratio (more image than text needed for deliverability)
- make sure all links are working
- make sure html and content parts of the mailer correspond
- avoid sending the same mailer over and over - uniqueness is a big help

Some ESPs are tougher than others - gmail, hotmail, et al all have their own spec regarding what is spam and they keep changing what they are looking for, so be prepared for a constant challenge regarding deliverability

Ping me if you have any more questions.

Some tips might be useful for you :) It’s not mine tips but I applied it and it worked

1. Be Compliant with the CAN-SPAM Act
  1. Don’t use false or misleading header information
  2. Don’t use deceptive subject lines
  3. Identify the message as an ad
  4. Tell recipients where you’re located
  5. Tell recipients how to opt-out of receiving future email from you
  6. Honor opt-out requests promptly
  7. Monitor what others are doing on your behalf
2. Avoid Spam Trigger Words and Phishing Phrases

Unfortunately, there is no complete list of spam trigger words. Further, it is not always the case that your email will end up in the spam filter simply by using a so-called trigger word. The key thing to remember is that a spam filter is trying to remove commercial advertisements and promotions. So generally, words that are common in such emails should be avoided or used sparingly.

Phishing emails are designed to steal your identity by getting you to click on a fraudulent link. The most common method is for the email to be disguised as a legitimate email from a service you trust, such as your bank or a website you frequent. Thus, you want to avoid using phrases that are common to phishing attacks.

3. Include a Text Version of Your Email if You Are Sending HTML Emails

This is a common, and easily preventable, cause for landing in the spam folder. Not only is this a good practice for avoiding a spam filter, but it also covers you in the case where the recipient cannot view HTML emails.

4. Use Permission Marketing Techniques

5. Get Off Blacklists

If your email server is on a blacklist, it becomes extremely difficult to reliably send email, especially to new people on your lists.

The first step is to check if your email server is on a blacklist, following are a few free services:

If you find that you are on a blacklist, you will need to follow up with the website that has added you to their blacklist. That information is provided by the tools listed above.

7. Maintain a Good Text to Image Ratio

It is usually best to not include images at all; however, if you must include images, here are some tips:

• Do not send any image-only emails
  • We suggest that for every graphic, include at least two lines of text
  • Optimize your images the best you can
  • Use well-formed HTML for email
8. Avoid Spam Traps

Spam traps are email addresses that are flagged by ISPs as being no longer used by a human, so it then stands to reason that there could have been no opt-in. To avoid including a spam trap email in your mailing list, use an opt-in process and do not buy lists from email brokers.

9. Avoid Large Attachments and Certain Attachment Types

In general, .jpg, .gif, .png and .pdf attachments are safe to send, provided you include some content in the email as well. However, executable attachments such as .exe, .zip, .swf, etc. should be avoided entirely. Generally, you should not send attachments to people on your list who are not expecting them.

If you need to email a large attachment or an attachment type that usually can be flagged as spam or trigger virus scanners, we recommend a service such as DropBox.com. If the attachment contains sensitive data, you may consider using your company’s secure FTP server.

10. Make Sure Your DKIM, SPF, Sender-ID, and Domain Keys Are Set Up Properly

You will want to make sure your email server supports these protocols (DKIM, SPF, Sender-ID, and Domain Keys) and that they are properly implemented.

This alphabet soup helps ISPs determine the authenticity of your email from a technical perspective. To make sure yours are set up properly try using IsNotSpam.com’s checking service.

If you want to dig deeper, here are the definitions:

Some tips might be useful for you :) It’s not mine tips but I applied it and it worked

Thank you very much.

2. Avoid Spam Trigger Words and Phishing Phrases

Unfortunately, there is no complete list of spam trigger words. Further, it is not always the case that your email will end up in the spam filter simply by using a so-called trigger word. The key thing to remember is that a spam filter is trying to remove commercial advertisements and promotions. So generally, words that are common in such emails should be avoided or used sparingly.

Phishing emails are designed to steal your identity by getting you to click on a fraudulent link. The most common method is for the email to be disguised as a legitimate email from a service you trust, such as your bank or a website you frequent. Thus, you want to avoid using phrases that are common to phishing attacks.

3. Include a Text Version of Your Email if You Are Sending HTML Emails

This is a common, and easily preventable, cause for landing in the spam folder. Not only is this a good practice for avoiding a spam filter, but it also covers you in the case where the recipient cannot view HTML emails.

4. Use Permission Marketing Techniques

5. Get Off Blacklists

If your email server is on a blacklist, it becomes extremely difficult to reliably send email, especially to new people on your lists.

The first step is to check if your email server is on a blacklist, following are a few free services:

If you find that you are on a blacklist, you will need to follow up with the website that has added you to their blacklist. That information is provided by the tools listed above.

7. Maintain a Good Text to Image Ratio

It is usually best to not include images at all; however, if you must include images, here are some tips:

• Do not send any image-only emails
  • We suggest that for every graphic, include at least two lines of text
  • Optimize your images the best you can
  • Use well-formed HTML for email
8. Avoid Spam Traps

Spam traps are email addresses that are flagged by ISPs as being no longer used by a human, so it then stands to reason that there could have been no opt-in. To avoid including a spam trap email in your mailing list, use an opt-in process and do not buy lists from email brokers.

9. Avoid Large Attachments and Certain Attachment Types

In general, .jpg, .gif, .png and .pdf attachments are safe to send, provided you include some content in the email as well. However, executable attachments such as .exe, .zip, .swf, etc. should be avoided entirely. Generally, you should not send attachments to people on your list who are not expecting them.

If you need to email a large attachment or an attachment type that usually can be flagged as spam or trigger virus scanners, we recommend a service such as DropBox.com. If the attachment contains sensitive data, you may consider using your company’s secure FTP server.

10. Make Sure Your DKIM, SPF, Sender-ID, and Domain Keys Are Set Up Properly

You will want to make sure your email server supports these protocols (DKIM, SPF, Sender-ID, and Domain Keys) and that they are properly implemented.

This alphabet soup helps ISPs determine the authenticity of your email from a technical perspective. To make sure yours are set up properly try using IsNotSpam.com’s checking service.

Thank you. Great advice.

MI
Back