The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Is humor a good idea?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what people thought about using humor on landing pages. Do you think they can help conversions or drive people away?

It depends on your niche and ages. But most probably this is not a good idea. In landing page, everyone wants to see their desirable offers they want as well as you have to take care of call to action at the beginning. You better test out yourself by 100 traffic and share your result with us. Good luck.

It really depends on the niche and product on offer. Best thing to do is what Mr Fox says, test out the options!

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what people thought about using humor on landing pages. Do you think they can help conversions or drive people away?

Personally, I appreciate someone who's clever but I know humor can turn some people off. Any thoughts?

Humor does have a place in our marketing, but as others have pointed out, you have to test the waters. To say humor does not work, or is not applicable, is crazy. Spend some time watching TV commercials. As many as half of ads we see are conducted in a humorous and/or entertaining fashion. Humor can be applied to so much more than we summize, especially if we have a humorous product.

David Ogilvy, a monarch of advertising in mid 20th century, tells us that humor is the highest converting of mediums. He liked to say, "The best ideas come as jokes. Make your thinking as funny as possible".

Humor should be clever, and should be "family rated", or a "G" rating.

Hi everyone,

Personally, I appreciate someone who's clever but I know humor can turn some people off. Any thoughts?
I think it is a good catch however, some one could not get it. It depends on the landing page.
I would not risk it!

I read about folks making good money with the humor niche. YouTube is full of humor channels. I bet they make good money. The popular ones, that is..

Humor should be clever, and should be "family rated", or a "G" rating.

@Ted C.

/\ Like T J Tutor said. :)

Light humour can be very effective. Like everyone has said, it depends on your product and audience and the only way you'll know is by testing it.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Hello Ted C.,

I think humor is a great way to keep people hitting your site and keep the bounce rate low. It will keep the audience busy and laughing

Regards

Hi everyone,

Humor can be ok, but i wouldn't recommend it. Using stats about products, and real time case about would work better or even fake stats but wouldn't recommend that either but many does use it.

Just like what the other members of the community said it really depends on the type of niche that you have. Affiliate sites are usually direct to the point, CTA is the most important aspect, after all, to convert it into a traffic or possible sales/sign-up.

I thought it depends on what do you want to sell. I have tried it on my own website, and for wedding photography (ages betweeen 28-36, 90% women) is not a good idea.

Good humor can be a good idea. Stupid jokes wouldn't be helpfull to sell something. Is very important to motivate the buyer and not make him laugh about himself. The one who could buy and the one that will laugh this can be different persons.

I agree, humor can be a great element to make the content more relaxing to read. I think cases like content about serious contents, humor can ease the tension of the audiences. But still, everything depends on how we use it, humor can be a good aspect but it can also become inappropriate.
In any cases, for content I think what is most matter is the experience of the audiences, if audiences don't like it then high chance we need to change.

Like everyone else said - it depends on your niche, the age of your audience, and your website. If you have a "serious" ecommerce website, for example, you won't go around using funny content on your landing pages. You can use a light dose of humor if your website targets a younger audience, because they will get what you're trying to say. I am working for a relatively young marketing agency and I'm encouraged to be "funny", so to speak. :)

banners
Back