The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Directories Hard Work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicdigi

affiliate
Paid directories are hard work. The things that are involved in taking a directory to the top and earning money amaze.

The following go a long way to promoting a site:

Directory with a high Alexa rank
Pagerank always a plus and even better with internal pages having PR
Good search engine positioning
Being seen - listed on tons of other directories and websites

The latter bringing in good traffic and promoting your site well.

Do all of the above mean spending lots of money to get your paid directory to where you want it to be, especially in the early stages?

To add to the above, content - to bring visitors back to your site and if indeed they are looking for something they find it or search engines bring you visitors because of this content.

You need
a) a killer application like Facebook or MySpace, which you don't have.
b) Or you must pay a lot of money to people the charge you now for SEO results that you "might" get later.
c) Or, you need to do a lot of the work yourself.

At the moment, I usually work the most at content and being seen by other directory owners, however I am trying to provide a resource, a high standard one.

I don't think it is all about pagerank, the SERPs and the age of a web directory matters much more IMO; I can state several reasons why these factors are much more important than any other factor (except content..)

I prefer building my directory alone, by building and alone, I refer to link building, SEO and so on. I usually have a good sense of what is good and what isin't, therefore I prefer to do it all myself, though there's moments I need help, as well.

Meti

It is very difficult from my point. Currently in full time employment (not web related), it is difficult to give the time required to all our sites and sometimes I feel there is too much to handle.

Recently I brought someone onboard for a little work. They would submit our directory to other directories where we could get on the first page of the category and also add content to our directory.

We would then reorganise expenditure for the directory and hit hardest where we could get traffic.

Our overall aim, as I am sure many website owners aim is to climb up in search engines.

'Web Directory' keywords equal 4th page of Google and Yahoo and 3rd page of MSN/Live whilst other keywords like UK Directory or UK Directory are 1st page of Yahoo and MSN.

Objective - keep plugging away, working hard towards the top goal of gaining everything required to make a top directory here in the UK.

I agree, it is hard work but you don't need to spend money to get to number one. Link exchanges and submitting to other directories can do the trick

I have managed to get my web directory on page one of google uk for keywords web directory

Using the serps may be free, but it's tough to maintain a constant position.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
banners
Back