T J Tutor

GM
Administrator
Certified Vendor
Dojo Master
AffKit
Big Firms Pulling Back Facebook Ad Spend - Poor Performance

That's the summary of an article I read today at Pacedm

According to the article Proctor and Gamble are dramatically scaling back of targeted ads on Facebook because they have determined them to be ineffective and they could get better results with other types of marketing.

I think many of us have often thought that there are some saturation issues with Facebook and there is definitely some favoritism going on with ad placements. I've long thought that this would catch up with FB sooner or later. I've had several campaigns on FB be overshadowed by those that offer bigger budgets to FB and I know they had to do it. They don't have a choice but to satisfy the big shots. However, if in fact the big companies start scaling back their ad spend due to ineffectiveness, as I think will continue, then the smaller advertisers will likely start becoming more appealing to FB once again. There was a time when they loved us small spenders, then they got cocky and started putting restrictions on us due to the pressures lobbied by the big firms to push us out a bit. I'll bet they start finding new ways to increase spending by the smaller budgets now that they are under scrutiny by the big companies with regards to their targeted ads effectiveness.

Interesting article, TJ!

According to the article, P&G aren't pulling out of FB altogether, just won't be targeting so tightly. Apparently, the downside for FB is the potential for others to follow suit. Of course, that will likely result in FB deciding they love small biz and affiliates again, as you said. :) Afterall, the big companies spend big money. If that goes, they'll look to make it up somewhere else and circle back to the bread and butter accounts that got them started back in the day (maybe).

Seems that things have been slowly going this way ever since they changed things and cut off a large reach for many of the smaller businesses. As I recall, restaurants and such were leaving FB and didn't hesitate to let people why.

The rest of the year may prove interesting.

Interesting article, TJ!

According to the article, P&G aren't pulling out of FB altogether, just won't be targeting so tightly. Apparently, the downside for FB is the potential for others to follow suit. Of course, that will likely result in FB deciding they love small biz and affiliates again, as you said. :) Afterall, the big companies spend big money. If that goes, they'll look to make it up somewhere else and circle back to the bread and butter accounts that got them started back in the day (maybe).

Seems that things have been slowly going this way ever since they changed things and cut off a large reach for many of the smaller businesses. As I recall, restaurants and such were leaving FB and didn't hesitate to let people why.

The rest of the year may prove interesting.

I'm going to run a few small campaign tests this week and see. I've wanted to try Thrives tracker for a while and thought I'd give it a go with FB.

I just read that FB is using that new script to get around the adblockers now, so that will make your campaign all the more interesting. It's only being used for desktop ads, though.

Good luck with it. Hope you'll let us know if there are any noticeable improvements. :)

That's great. Hope they notice my tight pocket a bit more. Set a $5 budget a day only to see it never spent??? Think again FB.

MI
Back