The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Any advice on how to Upgrade from a VPS to a dedicated server without changing the name of the server ?

UltraOne

AffKit Ninja
I'm concerned about the potential for downtime when switching from VPS hosting to dedicated server. I contacted several support teams and they all said that I would need to change the nameservers, which would cause a brief period of downtime. Does anyone know of any hosting providers that offer a solution to this problem? I don't want my websites to be offline any longer than necessary.

My nameservers will update in a 1-4 minutes the problem is propagation. (host based)
Your own BIND server will update as soon and you reload the BIND service.
1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 (Cloudfront and Google DNS) usually will change the A/AAAA entry in 10-20 min
(I use these DNS servers on my local routers for this reason)
Users ISPs can take hours or days (who knows)
User os DNS caching is also an issue when changing a server's IP.

The downtime will vary for every user based on the above.

You might get creative and keep the old IP up for a while --but that might complicate things. The domain TLS/SSL cert needs to be revoked on the old IP and remade on the new IP address.

When I migrated one of my VPS to dedicated (both at BlueHost) a couple of years ago, they did it for me for free and it was seamless.

I am moving my BlueHost servers this year to LiquidWeb and the migration team there tells me outages may occur, but likely for not more than a 10 minutes at most due to changing hosting providers.

You can always put a redirect to a temporary page somewhere telling audiences of the migration and thanking them for their brief patience.

Great . Well The idea of a temporary page makes sense . 10 minutes is reasonable.Will reach out to Bluehost
When I migrated one of my VPS to dedicated (both at BlueHost) a couple of years ago, they did it for me for free and it was seamless.

I am moving my BlueHost servers this year to LiquidWeb and the migration team there tells me outages may occur, but likely for not more than a 10 minutes at most due to changing hosting providers.

You can always put a redirect to a temporary page somewhere telling audiences of the migration and thanking them for their brief
Great.The idea of a temporary page does make sense and 10 minutes is a reasonable amount of time to wait. I will reach out to Bluehost support and verify if they meet my requirements.

I will reach out to Bluehost support

Be Aware:
I am leaving BlueHost because they moved their VPS support to offshore call centers. Up until a year ago (or so) they had U.S. based support for both their VPS and dedicated servers. I have many VPS and three dedicated servers. They use to have the finest VPS support I have ever encountered. if you had a VPS or dedicated server issue they didn't make you wait and would transfer you immediately to someone that would fix any issue you had. They still do this with their dedicated servers. Now their VPS support is only brainless offshore twits that read answers from a binder, worthless. This is why I am moving to LiquidWeb.

BlueHost didn't provide managed servers and frankly I didn't need them managed. The LiquidWeb servers I am purchasing are managed. I have increased the number of servers I use over the past many years and frankly I'm not unhappy about turning that control over to them. We'll see, I'll still have access to the WHM, and when I have need for support I'll speak to experienced people in their U.S. offices, not to people in some other country that simply look up answers in a binder and have absolutely no server experience.

Customer support is definitely a key factor to consider when choosing a web hosting provider. I've heard some clients complain about the Bluehost support, so I'm definitely very spectical about it. I'm not sure if LiquidWeb would be handy in my scenario, but I definitely appreciate the sentiment. The interesting fact is they have local support .Servers are definitely a key part of any web hosting provider, so it's important to make sure that they're well-supported. Thanks for the advice! Will decide with our management team on which option to go for.

MI
Back