The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Another Newb needs help

rush4life

affiliate
I am TOTALLY new to affiliate marketing (like I have been in banking the last 6 years and had no idea what this was until about two months ago) but wanted to try my hand at mobile. I have a good chunk of change saved up but before I jump into campaigns and everything else I want to make sure i'm set up for the best possible outcomes. So here are a few questions I have:

I understand that a VPS is pretty well a requirement for people in the business but is this a must even for people just starting out? As I understand it this is helps your landing page load faster than a shared network - so it seems like it is functional no matter how new? Would you say its a must? I am currently with hostgator on shared but I can upgrade to VPS but no one on this site ever mentions hostgator for VPS, why is that? Are they slower than others?

Next question is I have is can I just put my tracker (currently prosper202 but will be going with Voluum shortly) on hostgator as well or is there a reason to have it somewhere else?

Thanks for any tips/help - looking forward to the new journey!

I have shared hosting.

I don't understand why you would want a VPS.

Maybe so your website runs a bit faster?

Personally believe that hosting is good when you're already somewhat experienced.
For example, we provide free hosting for LPs for our publishers so that they can spend those extra money on buying traffic.

So better think twice do you really want to spend those $50-100 on server?

Personally believe that hosting is good when you're already somewhat experienced.
For example, we provide free hosting for LPs for our publishers so that they can spend those extra money on buying traffic.

So better think twice do you really want to spend those $50-100 on server?
Ah, but isn't it true that most CPA networks require you to have a website?? The one's I've applied to have..

Last edited:
I am TOTALLY new to affiliate marketing

Well first of all, welcome to AffiliateFix @rush4life ! Maybe put together an introduction here.

(like I have been in banking the last 6 years and had no idea what this was until about two months ago) but wanted to try my hand at mobile. I have a good chunk of change saved up but before I jump into campaigns and everything else I want to make sure i'm set up for the best possible outcomes. So here are a few questions I have:

I understand that a VPS is pretty well a requirement for people in the business but is this a must even for people just starting out? As I understand it this is helps your landing page load faster than a shared network - so it seems like it is functional no matter how new? Would you say its a must? I am currently with hostgator on shared but I can upgrade to VPS but no one on this site ever mentions hostgator for VPS, why is that? Are they slower than others?

You will hear from many Newbies that they are on shared servers and they have no issues. These are marketers that typically don't realize what the loads times are like for their landers at peak loads times. Very slow, especially when other marketers are throwing a lot of traffic at the same shared server. Another reason is you will eventually be on a VPS anyways and you need to learn to use and manage the features of a VPS and you should get that under way immediately. Next up, shared servers are the stomping ground for spammers, they typically rev up the CPU's so they are unusable at many different times of the day until they get caught and then banned. Since you are sharing the IP address with them, and the IP address gets blacklisted, you will run into email delivery problems, performance issues, and pages being blocked by the browsers. The list goes on, but these are some of the top reasons for marketers to NEVER use a shared server!

Next question is I have is can I just put my tracker (currently prosper202 but will be going with Voluum shortly) on hostgator as well or is there a reason to have it somewhere else?

There are many that say that HG is not good with support and other issues. I've never used them. However, they are owned by a much larger shell company EIG (Endurance International Group) and some say one shouldn't use any of the hosting companies the shell owns. I don't agree with that. I've had my VPS's with BlueHost for a five years, or more, as well as all of my real estate agent and broker clients. The VPS support with BlueHost has been wonderful for me.

Here are my tips for the Newbies among us.

Use this forum as a mentor. It's full of members at every level of experience which makes for many balanced perspectives for a Newbie to learn from. Take the time to read through the forums here and see for yourself that the Newbies achieving success have actually dedicated themselves to success in this industry and reaping the rewards by following the advice of fellow AffiliateFix members, being dedicated to success, putting the time in, and making the necessary investments. You cannot shortcut the learning curve. It goes slower for some and it goes faster for others. Everyone has their own intellectual absorption rates, skill development pace, commitment level, and budgets.

You are a FIX'er now and that means you have the world at your feet with IM. Here are a few suggestions:

Read and learn through extensive reading in this community. Select one vertical. one tracker, and one traffic source. Learn from your fellow members here to master each one of them (a couple of months). Then you can expand and replicate your successes.

As a Newbie, you need to read, study, invest, and implement. Perseverance, dedication, and taking action are the cornerstones of the success you will obtain.

Read
Read through the various areas of the forum to learn about the types of marketing available for your new business. Make a list of all the types of marketing and take some notes along the way. Then determine which area of marketing with which you will start your journey.

Do this to select an area of marketing to start, as well, do this to select a tracker, a traffic source, and to select a vertical.

Then read up on the affiliate networks and select two to begin with that will serve your needs and the types of offers you would like to promote. Put your application in and they will call you for an interview. Be professional and be prepared to answer some questions about how you will promote offers, do you have a website, are you a Newbie, etc. Please note, if you join the Dojo, we have a thread there that can offer assistance in getting accepted to some of the networks.

Study
Now that you have selected a basis to begin, read all of the threads in this forum that relate to your initial selections so that you have a rudimentary understanding of their features and benefits.

Invest
You will require some investment. A VPS server, domains, traffic, landing pages, etc. You will need a budget for daily, weekly, and monthly expenses. This will change over time and you will need to update it often so that you know exactly what your costs and earnings are.

Implement
This is where it all starts to earn. You must now begin to implement what you have established as your foundation for your business.

Here is some advice and guidance that will help you establish your initial goals:

Make sure you complete the following first.

Every business needs:

1. a plan
2. a schedule for research, learning, and execution
3. a budget.

Remember to read through our WIKI and get to know the basics as well as some of the buzzwords in the industry.

I also recommend reading the following thread:

As a Newbie, What Stops You From Getting Started

Here is a set of immediate goals:

1. Get a VPS
2. Select a vertical
3. Select a tracker
4. Select a couple of networks and get your approval
5. Select a traffic source
6. Create a schedule for researching, learning (training), and working. This is a business, treat it as such!
7. Create a budget for every expense (daily, weekly, monthly)
8. Be very active in this forum by researching, asking questions, helping others when you are able.

As well, I highly recommend you join the DOJO as it is full of great tools and contributions for successful marketers. Click the banner below to learn more.

Remember This! : Nothing has to be perfect before you start. Read & study, but invest and implement at the same time. You cannot learn all of it from reading and studying. A great deal of your learning comes from implementing!

Good Luck!

T J

Wow thanks for all the replies - it is greatly appreciated. I have been hitting this forum up for about 6 weeks now and trying to get as many hours in after working my full time job (financial advisor at a bank) on learning this stuff. I have a friend in the industry who is doing quite well but I can sense he doesn't want to give away all his secrets and techniques as its taken him a while to get there - I totally appreciate that so I am basically going at this alone (with a little advice from him - but 95% from this forum and youtube and google haha). Budget isn't as much an issue as I have a good chunk of coin saved that I can use to learn the ropes. I have a couple of verticals in mind - definitely want to do it via mobile and I just got Voluum downloaded so hoping to start my first campaign via mobile this weekend.

I will take and use everything you guys have said - thanks for the full response TJ - it is appreciated. Cheers!!

Wow thanks for all the replies - it is greatly appreciated. I have been hitting this forum up for about 6 weeks now and trying to get as many hours in after working my full time job (financial advisor at a bank) on learning this stuff. I have a friend in the industry who is doing quite well but I can sense he doesn't want to give away all his secrets and techniques as its taken him a while to get there - I totally appreciate that so I am basically going at this alone (with a little advice from him - but 95% from this forum and youtube and google haha). Budget isn't as much an issue as I have a good chunk of coin saved that I can use to learn the ropes. I have a couple of verticals in mind - definitely want to do it via mobile and I just got Voluum downloaded so hoping to start my first campaign via mobile this weekend.

I will take and use everything you guys have said - thanks for the full response TJ - it is appreciated. Cheers!!

Positive start, will be waiting for you to run first fails and success.

P.S. In case you're searching CPI network, please ping me ;)

I am TOTALLY new to affiliate marketing (like I have been in banking the last 6 years and had no idea what this was until about two months ago) but wanted to try my hand at mobile. I have a good chunk of change saved up but before I jump into campaigns and everything else I want to make sure i'm set up for the best possible outcomes. So here are a few questions I have:

Hi There,

I think i can help you get started, please message me if you want help and further infomation.

I do think that VPN is not a must for the people who are starting. I have been in the industry for sometime and I still use shared hosting here and there. Just be sure that you are choosing the best service provider so that you are not frustrated at all. It is all about being careful and choosing the best option for your tasks. Otherwise feel free to ask for more help.

banners
Back