The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Can You Help Me Choose A Domain?

Oooh another controversial post !! :eek:

selecting SEO friendly domain is an old story now.

SEO friendly domain is old story?
Should they change affiliatefix to batmanfix?
I've only got SEO friendly domain names
All registered because of massive search volumes
Because I'm not global brand with huge advertising budget
Saves all time building brands awareness
SEO friendly domain is VERY important for affiliate marketer
Algorithm is automated, buyshirts.com tells algorithm site (and customer) sells shirts
It's the number 1 signal about any website in world

Example (not my domain name)
buyshirts.com/mens-shirts/mens-black-shirts/mens-black-calvin-klein-shirts/mens-black-calvin-klein-shirt-long-sleeves
Buy Shirts > Level 1 (home page)
Buy Shirts > Men's Shirts > Level 2 (main category page)
Buy Shirts > Men's Shirts > Men's Black Shirts > Level 3 (sub category 1 page)
Buy Shirts > Men's Shirts > Men's Black Shirts > Men's Black Calvin Klein Shirts > Level 4 (sub category 2 page)
Buy Shirts > Men's Shirts > Men's Black Shirts > Men's Black Calvin Klein Shirts > Men's Black Calvin Klein Shirt Long Sleeves > Level 5 (product page)

You should always select the one which is easy to remember for your visitors.

Agree, but it's only relevant to returning visitor who didn't bookmark your site and cannot find it in search engine
How many direct returning visitor did your sites get last month?

If you are doing the right things, your site will rank anyways, doesn't matter what TLD you chose.

Whaaaat ?? o_Oo_Oo_O Is this post sarcastic one?
Should they change affiliatefix.com to affiliatefix.museum.tt?
TLD is VERY important
Country specific TLD for site target 1 country is very powerful
These TLD tell algorithm what country website is target
Why? Because many customer (outside USA) trust their country TLD more than .com or something else

Try to rank affiliatefix.com instead with batmanfix.museum.tt

If this works out it will be my pleasure to send you a case :D

WOOHOO, haha, thanks! I'll watch my mailbox. :D :D :D

Should they change affiliatefix to batmanfix?

LOL, I'll put that in the suggestion box.

SEO friendly domain is VERY important for affiliate marketer

I think that's especially important when you offer a selection of brands, rather just one well-known brand and you're an affiliate rather than a brand/trademark owner. A famous brand name could have any extension it wants because when people search for it, it'll still show up in the SERPs. Also a top brand most likely has more than one extension, i.e., TD Bank has .com, .ca to cover U.S. and Canada. If they had td.bank (maybe they do, I don't know), people still wouldn't have trouble finding them.

How many direct returning visitor did your sites get last month?

Excellent stat to take into consideration.

You should always select the one which is easy to remember for your visitors.
ComfortClick Smart Home - KNX, Modbus, Z-Wave, Alexa I wonder how many people will mistype your name and get this? Fortunately they will immediately realize it's not you.

Say Yoda: SEO are you weak. comfortclick - Google Search
If I did not follow your sig link or some review site link or such I would really have to search to find you ...

Was the .com operational when you bought that name? I have made domain speculation decisions with that being a factor in the past. Sometimes won and sometimes lost.

For ad referrals the extension does not matter. For SEO branding is needed more so for a new gTLD that is descriptive of the site's endeavor with the TLD extension's use. Conversely, a spammy long or hyphenated .com name is very hard to brand too.

Hozefa Tijoriwala its all okay
Just disagree with your post (after I work long day)
No problems ;)
You can definitely disagree with my post because everybody have their own opinion and experiences. For us, we sell more than 500 products and have a lot of Brands so no way we want to buy a lot of domains, rather we chose 1 domain which relates to all the products we sell, TLDs and content are country specific and we apply right SEO strategy to make sure that we get traffic for all our products which we want to sell. And we have more than 20% direct returning visitors which is not bad. I believe that a good SEO can definitely rank batmanfix.anything on google 1st page on keyword "affiliatefix" if he wants to.

I'm following official advice from Google
Choose an effective domain name - Google Domains Help
You CAN do anything, but follow this advice make it easier

Choose an effective domain name
This article shares best practices for choosing a domain name.

Selecting a domain name is an important step in getting online. Your domain name can shape your website users' initial impressions of your business or organisation. An effective domain name can help increase user interest and drive web traffic.

Best practices
Here are some guidelines to help you choose the best domain for you:
  • Name length: We recommend short domain names, typically between three and four terms. Short domains are easier to remember and type, which helps users navigate directly to your site.
  • Keywords: Make sure the terms in your domain name are relevant to the content that you publish. Descriptive words help first-time viewers recognise what the site is about. Additionally, descriptive words can improve the chances that your site shows up to users who are searching for related products or services.
  • Location: If your intended audience is in a particular area, you may want to include that location in your domain name. Doing so can help filter out any unintended audience outside your scope.
  • Brand name: A brand is a unique, identifying persona that can help your domain stand out. Brands create potential for distinctiveness and longevity because users can quickly recognise established brands. Brands can take time to develop, but a successful brand can pay dividends for your site's popularity.
  • Domain endings: The most popular domain ending is .com, but Google Domains offers a variety of endings, ranging from .academy to .zone. See the full list of domain endings. More specific endings can help create a distinctive image and better communicate the purpose of your site.
    Alternative endings do not negatively affect your search ranking.
Things to avoid
Here are some elements that may negatively impact your domain name's perception:
  • Numbers or dashes: These characters can make your site name harder to type or remember.
  • Misspellings of existing words or business names: These attributes can make your site seem suspicious for spamming or phishing.
  • Similarity to an existing brand or trademark: Naming your site and hosting content in a way that appears similar to an existing business may cause copyright or abuse complaints against you, potentially resulting in domain suspension and/or legal action.

selecting SEO friendly domain is an old story now. You should always select the one which is easy to remember for your visitors. If you are doing the right things, your site will rank anyways, doesn't matter what TLD you chose.
Exactly, you don't have to focus on seo friendly domain right now, algorithms have changed. The easiest one and catchy domain matter the most.

buy.cars is better than
buycars.com
imho
Of course buy.cars is better than buycars.com. But we've the two sides of the coin here. Most customers think everything must end with .com so buycars.com may be a catchy domain for many customers though buy.cars seems simple.

We don't know the future and what the future holds for us. What if Tomorrow people's preferences may change?

Thinking of a better conclusion?
Here's Mine; Use both domain names by taking buycars.com as the main site and redirect buy.cars back to the buycars.com

Later when people preferences change, make buy.cars domain as the main site and redirect buycars.com back to buy.cars domain.

NB: we don't make websites and blogs just to impress ourselves. The Main Reason is to TARGET our customers and to increase conversions.

So, thinking to create a domain name that customers will love, is the Key.

actually redirect the opposite way buycars.com to buy.cars

Agree, buy.cars is the superior domain, why?
  • It's not GEO specific
  • It's exact match phrase
  • Keywords are separated with period (.)
So you can use subdomains for each GEO
  • For USA --> Buy Cars in USA (usa.buy.cars)
  • For UK --> Buy Cars in UK (uk.buy.cars)
  • For Canada --> Buy Cars in Canada (ca.buy.cars)
Or you can use files instead
  • Buy Cars in USA (buy.cars/usa)
  • Buy Cars in UK (buy.cars/uk)
  • Buy Cars in Canada (buy.cars/canada)
The latter is marginally better for SEO
Since users don't normally type "usa buy cars"
They do type "buy cars usa" & with significant search volume

Agree, register .com and forward it

Cult of Web says "Domain name extensions have little or no effect on search rankings in Google and other search engines. If you are concerned about local search results, then country specific domain names have some edge but at the end of the day, the domain name extension is not something you have to worry about for better search rankings. Apart from the domain anme extension or TLD, the keyword used in the domain name also has no effect on search rankings" - it wouldn't be difficult to disprove the whole of that statement

Search Engine Land have used two keywords "search" and "engine" in their domain name - why?

I know this question has been asked before but I can't find the thread, so I'm asking again :)

For the purpose of a blog and SEO, which domain name would be better

1. www.vintage-redwine.com (.com extention with hyphen)
2. www.vintageredwine.net (.net extention)
3. www.vintage.redwine (.redwine extention)

My Favourite is number 3
This isn't my niche but the situation is the same.

I'm planning a new blog this year, it's going to be a long term project in a niche I've been interested in for many years. I'm not going to monetize the site at all. No affiliate links, no adverts, nothing, just pure information for people interested in the subject. the only links will be to and from my youtube channel that covers the same subject. And maybe an affiliatefix follow along thead :D
From my perspective, domain names have little contribution to SEO. I have seen websites with just personal domain names get ranked up well, and gain much more traffic than niche targeted domain names. However, it is good to always chose a niche targeted domain name. But the world wide web is so vast that in SEO, there are so many ways to skin the cat.

I recently tried to purchase my old domain name (tallfreak.com) however godaddy would only sell it back to me for $3000. So i ended up with tallfreak.net instead. Hopefully it being a .net now won't make too much of a difference. :).

MI
Back