The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

When should I upgrade my hosting solution?

comegetbravo

I currently have a SSD cloud hosted VPS that I use, How do I know when I should upgrade?
MMsRAZr.png

These are my stats during a regular workload, when I get roughly 20k impressions/day.

Ram usage never goes above 25% and CPU never above 4%. Loading speeds are from 0.8s - 1.4s depending on GEO and Landing page.

Should I still look into getting a CDN? I mostly use pops..

It depends with how many hits per second you get when running at peak. If the 20k impressions are spread throughout the day your server should handle itself just fine. When you are handling traffic that is getting you 1k+ hits per second consider adding another core.

You should also setup swap memory; that should help buy you more time on that VPS before you need an upgrade.

Should you get a CDN? well, i personally recommend you do. A good CDN should get your load speeds to about 0.5s - 1s. (Depending on the landing page offcourse). Make sure your landers are optimized.

You're fine. You won't need to upgrade for a long time if you're just pushing static pages. Just get your VPS as geographically close to your leads as possible. Reduction of latency by reducing distance between nodes will give you the biggest bang for your buck in terms of page loading speed.

I currently have a SSD cloud hosted VPS that I use, How do I know when I should upgrade?

These are my stats during a regular workload, when I get roughly 20k impressions/day.

Ram usage never goes above 25% and CPU never above 4%. Loading speeds are from 0.8s - 1.4s depending on GEO and Landing page.

Should I still look into getting a CDN? I mostly use pops..

I'd always recommend a CDN, though I'm a bit biased since I work for one :)

Key thing to monitor with a server is the load. You'll see it on the far right of your screenshot. The load essentially means how many tasks are waiting until the next can start. So if you have a load of 1.0 that means you have one task in queue waiting before the next can start. It's about at that threshold that things start to slow down. However with the hypersensitivity of website speed, you certainly don't want an inconsistent browsing experience, so I'd suggest upgrading when you reach a load of about .50.

Time for upscaling comes when you feel that you are having more than what your servers can handle. This is in line with the traffic that you receive. Having huge traffic inflow means that you will need to have bandwidth that is higher and also improve on the uptime so that the clients using your website are not timed out. Just carry out a research based on the features of your current hosting against the traffic. If you see higher traffic, it is time to upgrade.

If speed is your primary concern, CDN's are going to be a worth-while add-on to your speed-enhancement arsenal for almost any web-app hosted on almost any hosting company.

I would also add to what others have said: you probably won't need to upgrade until you start getting close to hitting your current limits. It's not always resource limits you start hitting either. Sometimes it's connection limits, open-file limits, etc. It all depends on what you're doing. The answer "It depends" is pretty much the de-facto standard in the world of technology.

banners
Back