The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

US to Ban TikToK Vote in Congress is Coming

Graybeard

The US congress is considering action to ban TikTok;
if China controlled ByteDance does not find a domestic (or other acceptable buyer [NATO member country member?])
based owner as an acquisition buyer.

The US wants to force a sale changing TikTok's ownership justified by "national security."

>>>``
Florida Congressman Neal Dunn's office told the BBC it has received more than 900 calls from TikTokers, "many of which were vulnerable school-aged children" and some of whose extreme rhetoric had to be flagged for security reasons.

Mr Dunn, a Republican, is an original co-sponsor of the bill.

"This effort by ByteDance validated the Congressman's concerns," his office said in a statement.

"American phones were geolocated and TikTok users were locked out of the platform until they called their members of Congress. ByteDance weaponized the app against America, and that is exactly why the Congressman supports this measure." ``<<<

They are their own worst enemy :D

``The app has been banned on government devices in Canada, Belgium, Denmark, New Zealand, Taiwan, the UK and the US.``

At issue is the Chinese (PRC) government's ability to pressure ByteDance to do its bidding ...

The Internet has brought all of the worlds actors together in many places --for both good and possibly bad purposes. So far, TikTok's influence has been benign however its dependence in your marketing efforts should be prepared to be scaled back if this proposed US legislation passes.

Last edited:
The US wants to force a sale changing TikTok's ownership
They can do that??

The app has been banned on government devices in Canada
I can confirm that is true. Whether or not government employees actually deleted the app, I couldn't tell you but I assume it is probably blocked on their work phones.

I don't use TT but from what I've heard, it's not a great place for kids or unhappy people who are easily swayed to do things that they (or others) may regret.

Regarding national security, how can you ever stop that vulnerability in today's world of portable and advanced technology? If not TT, it could be a different platform that nobody's looking at yet.

Regarding national security, how can you ever stop that vulnerability in today's world of portable and advanced technology? If not TT, it could be a different platform that nobody's looking at yet.
Kings and other rulers banned the printed word too that they did not like (newspapers) long ago --they smashed printing presses and tossed ``offenders`` in prison,

There are *freedom* (speech, lawful assembly) issues to consider --in modern western societies.

Various social media outlets are blocked in many countries with dictatorial, authoritarian and autocratic regimes.
China and Russia have a record of heavy handed regulation and use of their respective media to their own ends. Iran, North Korea, Myanmar, many other minor players too ...

Facebook and X (Twitter) are examples of media that is dangerous to government stability and its control of the population:
--but this is a product of their user base primarily as well as their business policies
--however it is not the result of any government dictate
--that is the difference.

TikTok is not that political, ironically, the Biden campaign is using TikTok to reach younger voters --maybe that is really the underlying reason so many politicians are supporting a ban on TikTok before the election? There are also a lot of fundamental constitutional issues in banning any media --national security can supersede these guarantees. This will end up in the US Federal Courts if passed and will be contested.

Kings and other rulers banned the printed word too that they did not like (newspapers) long ago --they smashed printing presses and tossed ``offenders`` in prison,
I had actually forgotten about that!

Various social media outlets are blocked in many countries with dictatorial, authoritarian and autocratic regimes.
Sadly, yes and more places. Here, only state sponsored news media organizations are approved to be shared on Google. Independent journalists or dissident voices are not allowed in the governing party's press conferences, nor for scrumming now. Those get thrown out or arrested. The opposition lets them in with all the rest and even answers their questions.

YouTube has buried some (not all) of the independents, you have to remember who they are and do a search to bring them up but at least we can still access them. They have complained that their subscribers are being unsubscribed and their subscribers are having to resubscribe often.

I still get American independent news channels showing up in my YT feed/list and other channels, they talk about what's going on on both sides of the border, so I get the gist of what's happening, although my focus is on this side these days.

--however it is not the result of any government dictate
--that is the difference.
I may be remembering incorrectly but didn't Zuckerberg steal the FB program/idea from his roommates? And if he'd do that, I guess the rest is not terribly surprising, unfortunately.

This will end up in the US Federal Courts if passed and will be contested.
If it goes as far as the Supreme Court, I imagine it will go however Trump wants it to. They seem to be a tad biased since the last one was added to replace Ruth Bader Ginsberg. I very much respected RBG.

When we were going through that with the censorship bills, the committee for them had content creators appear in Ottawa to testify how it would affect their lives. Lots of appeals to keep the bills from passing but it made zero difference. They had already decided in advance, in my opinion.

I know of at least two Canadians who testified to your (congress?) about the censorship issues we've already gone through. As cautionary tales. I have my fingers crossed for you that there is a way to keep the country safe while not squashing any of the good stuff.

Something we've observed for a while now, is that the party putting forth these bills do so under the guise of something else. For example, the latest bill for debate in our House of Commons is called the Online Harms Act. It purports to be legislation to keep kids safe online. That is already covered in law, no need for a bill. Hidden in it is stipulation that anyone can report anyone for speech they don't like and don't have to prove that it caused harm, whether or not any child is involved. There is one condition that can get you imprisoned for life. For something you said.

On the bright side....bills go through the House and Senate so slowly, there's a good chance it won't make it through before the 2025 election here.

To some extent it is not the ``social media`` itself --it is the people using it and to what ends.

Digital existence can either make people more anonymous or easier to identify.

Governments don't like that --it can make controlling the population more difficult.

This bill has overwhelming support from what I am reading. I don't know how it could really be enforced --people will use subterfuge (proxy, tor, vpn) to continue using TiKtok in the US but the traffic will decrease dramatically.

Well, this is very strange timing in the depths of a year with general election but:
>>>``WASHINGTON (AP) — The House on Wednesday passed a bill that would lead to a nationwide ban of the popular video app TikTok if its China-based owner doesn’t sell its stake, as lawmakers acted on concerns that the company’s current ownership structure is a national security threat.
The bill, passed by a vote of 352-65, now goes to the Senate, where its prospects are unclear.``<<<

That was fast :D When they cannot hold the national well being hostage and delay bills --they sure can act fast ...

vultures_dance-6080.gif

>>>``Former Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Thursday that he will put together an investor group to buy TikTok after the House passed a bill that would ban the popular video app in the U.S. if its China-based owner does not sell its stake.

During an interview on CNBC’s “Squawk Box,” Mnuchin, who served under President Donald Trump, said he had spoken “to a bunch of people” about creating an investor group that would purchase the popular social media company. He offered no details about who may be in the group or about TikTok’s possible valuation. ... ``<<<

>>>``Former Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Thursday that he will put together an investor group to buy TikTok after the House passed a bill that would ban the popular video app in the U.S. if its China-based owner does not sell its stake.

Sounds a bit like extortion to me.

I can't imagine that China would just say, "Okay" and sell. But maybe they will, stranger things have happened.

So....Mnuchin and his buddies intend to make a gazillion dollars and do a bunch of data harvesting by becoming the new owners and reign supreme?

I'm too cynical at times, I know.

...ByteDance, could be compelled by Chinese authorities to hand over data on American users, spread pro-Beijing propaganda or suppress topics unfavorable to the Chinese government.
American media could do that, too. Canadian media subsidized by government unapologetically distort, ignore or outright lie about facts, always favourable to the current government. Even when there's video evidence to the contrary.

We do (or did, not sure if they're gone now) have Chinese police stations here and they own a lot of Canadian properties, plus they were allowed into our secure biolab and took virus cultures back to Wuhan two years ago. Other bad things, too like threatening MP's families, election interference.

So, who's guiltier - the Chinese or our own government?

Nothing has happened as a consequence, or provisions to keep it from happening again that I've heard. Of course, they're still investigating so a girl can dream.

It's an election year and they need a bogeyman. China walked right into that one. I am sure the feeling is mutual on the Chinese side of opinion. I think Elon Musk and his 'X' is a bigger threat. Social Media gathers all the idiots of the world in one place. It not easy to be a reasonable person these days ...
I think #1 is YouTube (Ascending order ASC)
I expect the STHF when public opinion kicks in
1710504451877.png

It's an election year and they need a bogeyman.
Ah, yes, I hadn't considered that.

I am sure the feeling is mutual on the Chinese side of opinion.
I expect so but it always feels like they're prepared to do whatever they need to in order to get their way. I don't think they scare or cave easily.

Social Media gathers all the idiots of the world in one place. It not easy to be a reasonable person these days ...
I agree!

I don't watch TikToks directly but there is a YT channel that shows them by theme. As far as I can tell, the majority are just regular people doing or saying stupid or benign things. But I'm sure there must be others that any government would want info on?

In that article you linked to, I did find it interesting that brand sponsorship is down and affiliate marketing promotion is up 9%. Tons of money to be made when done well.

The only good thing about TikTok is that it is a platform for business owners to demonstrate how their product solves a problem. I really wanted to sign up for TikTok Shop and work with influencers on a commission basis but it's not available in Canada (where I am).

The only good thing about TikTok is that it is a platform for business owners to demonstrate how their product solves a problem. I really wanted to sign up for TikTok Shop and work with influencers on a commission basis but it's not available in Canada (where I am).
I'm Canadian, too. I know the government banned TT on government phones but it is banned nationally?

Sorry, I don't use it, so I'm uninformed about that.

It's been restricted from government devices in several Western nations, including countries that are a part of the five eyes intelligence group – the US, UK, Canada, New Zealand and Australia – and the European Commission and NATO employees.

I don't see where the public has been banned from it yet. I know China itself restricts civilian access in some manner. TikTok is banned in China along with other social media platforms. Chinese users use a similar app, Douyin, which is only available in China and subject to monitoring and censorship by the government.

Social media has an infamous reputation for impersonation and disinformation.
When a media outlet is owned and operated by a entity in your jurisdiction you have some real legal remedy.
Bytedance was spun off as a US domestic corporation, this law is claiming --in name only.

The politics of this status are complicated in the US.
TikTok has a large younger audience that the politicians are trying to reach.
So banning TikTok seems a bit absurd at this time --or does it?

Passing this law and getting through the court challenges will take several years --at least.
Bytedance will get a TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) during the legal process.

Munchkin is expecting that for expediency the Chinese government and Bytedance will just sell out and be done with it. If you ask me: Mnuchin, and his bunch, may be a bigger 'national security risk'

So banning TikTok seems a bit absurd at this time --or does it?

Pinky And The Brain Tonight GIF by HULU
The World GIF

Munchkin is expecting that for expediency the Chinese government.....
I laughed right out loud when I read that.

If you ask me: Mnuchin, and his bunch, may be a bigger 'national security risk'
I think most politicians are. Many are vain and open to all sorts of gifts - financial or otherwise. Of course, I'm a little bitter and jaded about them these days.

Passing this law and getting through the court challenges will take several years --at least.
I'm grateful for that if it involves an erosion of citizen rights and freedoms. National security (a REAL one) is a different animal.

from the EEF (Electronic Frontier Foundation):

>>>``TikTok raises special concerns, given the surveillance and censorship practices of the country that its parent company is based in, China. But it’s also used by hundreds of millions of people to express themselves online, and is an instrumental tool for community building and holding those in power accountable. The US government has not justified silencing the speech of Americans who use TikTok, nor has it justified the indirect speech punishment of a forced sale (which may prove difficult if not impossible to accomplish in the required timeframe). It can’t meet the high constitutional bar for a restriction on the platform, which would undermine the free speech and association rights of millions of people. This bill must be stopped.``<<<

MI
Back