“mobile”/ adplexity
  1. Null

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Null

Suddenly Huge traffic Attack from Google

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimisation' started by Wkids, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Wkids

Wkids Affiliate affiliate

[​IMG]

I am attaching my site screenshot. I got huge traffic 3 days then it back to normal.
    I am using dedicated server so it not affected too much. Max server load during this traffic surge was 30%. Normal load is 3%-5%.
    So get ready and be prepare for this traffic Surge, Google will attack on your site soon.

2. Globaxy
  3. affmarketer101

affmarketer101 Affiliate affiliate

Why did you think Google caused it? Why did you think it would occur to other websites too? I think you are trying to promote for Maxserver.

4. Wkids

Hi, Thanks. I am not promoting anything here. I am just saying get ready for these attacks.

5. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Administrator Marketplace Seller

It may have been bots.

6. Wkids

Max server load means maximum server load. I searched on google Maxserver then got it's a hosting company. Sorry for your confusion. I am using Ovh servers.

7. no2pencil

no2pencil Affiliate affiliate

lol, what? If you think Google is attacking your site, block their IPs.

T J Tutor likes this.
  8. Wkids

I made good money during this traffic surge. They were are real visitors sent by google. Blocking google ip doesn't solve this problem.

9. no2pencil

How are you able to differentiate your claim that Google attacked your site, vs legitimate traffic?

10. Wkids

Assume you started a site.
    Situation 1.
    The website traffic will grow like this: 10, 20, 30, ....................[interval of 10]
    then you have enough time to increase your server resources and add new technologies. So visitors will not face any downtime.
    Situation 2.
    The website traffic will grow like this: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 100000, 10,20, 30........[increasing by 10]
    since you know you have only 10 visitor/day then you will not add any new technology and server resource.
    Then what will happen at 10th day? You are only able to serve 1000 visitor and rest visitor can't able to surf your site due to server limitation. You know that add new technology is a long run problem.

So you can say this is a attack by google, even they are sending legitimate traffic because they should increase traffic steadily not like peak and trough.

11. no2pencil

I disagree with all of that. If I'm launching a site, failover is already my initial concern. That's why I use multiple webservers, use CDNs for reducing server load, & Geo-Location balance (NY vs SF). When one of my sites lands on the front page of Google, it's not an attack, it's a success. But that's difference between paying for a single server to just get started, & experience in the industry.

Furthermore, creating a link campaign, or running an ad campaign creates the same scenario. The traffic from Google is free in comparison.

Suggesting that Google attacks a site is ludicrous. The worst thing Google will do, imo, is delist you. Then you're SOL & don't need to even worry about traffic to your site.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  12. no2pencil

From your image you have nearly 8,000 "not found" reported pages. Most likely they tried to crawl your site, & something on your end is misconfigured. Assuming that you've already reviewed the crawl errors, what pages are these?

[​IMG]

Lastly, I'll add that if Google crawling your site is enough to take it off line, you can request the Google spider bots crawl less often, or wait longer in-between fetching. I'm not sure if you can do this in your Google Webmasters Console tools, but you certainly can with your robots.txt file.

Googlebot - Search Console Help

Sorry, but one last & final item to suggest. User agents can be faked, & a surefire way to assure that a site will accept traffic is to forge the Google Spider bot user agent. If this were a DDOS attack, it could be made to appear from the Google spider bot user agent. Just one more reason to be behind a CDN like CloudFlare.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  13. Wkids

Ok, lunch your site, then you will know. I already am running a site from last 2 years. My site have around 0.5 million posts. I am using wordpress with nosql db, no caching, no cloudflare. My site is full dynamic. Take a look at crawl status then reply what you think?

[​IMG]

14. Graybeard

Graybeard Well-Known Member affiliate

Flash in the pan -- looks to me like you you had something go low-grade viral or you bought a bunch of bulk traffic.
    Either that or you gamed the Googlebot :)

15. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Administrator Marketplace Seller

As I said, BOT!....................

16. Graybeard

Baidu? is Gigablast still going strong?
    Maybe a bot got the site.xml file?
    Time for some access.log forensics. :D

17. Wkids

This google crawl report.

18. Graybeard

How long is a rope?
    I would watch for changes in indexed pages or SERPs.
    that's 1.6 % 404 Google is cleaning their index maybe
    If there is a URI pattern of the 404's -- then rewrite them to 410. How many hits were repetitive of that 404.
    grep and cut your server access log -- find them.
    If you are redirecting 404 to your index page stop that rewrite.

no2pencil likes this.
  19. no2pencil

I don't think he's going to dive that far... keeps posting back with his Google Console screenshots.

Assuming that this is paid hosting, you could just ask their support to do this.

banners