The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Promotional emails go into spam folder

mrichner

affiliate
Hello all

I have a question regarding affiliate links in email marketing. I am in the keto niche and have an email list of about 1500 subscribers. When I send a content email, my open rate is between 15-25% but when I send a mail with an affiliate link, the open rate is only 5-10%.

i have already tried to cloak my affiliate link with rebrandly or wordpress without success. Do you have a solution?

Thanks for your feedback :)

Welcome @ Affiliatefix @mrichner

May I suggest a short introduction? Always nice to know who we are talking to ;)
When I send a content email, my open rate is between 15-25% but when I send a mail with an affiliate link, the open rate is only 5-10%.
Do you have a solution?
As a newbie, I don't run anything email-related yet but I've looked into the possibility...
A quick search can already bring you suggestions where to look...
For example here in the Klaviyo Blog...

Again, welcome, let's get our business profitable!

Welcome @ Affiliatefix

Always nice to know who we are talking to ;)

As a newbie, I don't run anything email-related yet but I've looked into the possibility...
A quick search can already bring you suggestions where to look...
For example

Again, welcome, let's get our business profitable!
Thank you, I introduced myself ;)y
I also searched a lot about deliverability and made adjustments. The obly problem is when I use affiliat links. Then, my open rate drops. I tried link cloaking but it didn‘t work. That is why I‘m struggeling at the moment...

Thank you, I introduced myself ;)
Yup, I noticed :D
I also searched a lot about deliverability and made adjustments. The obly problem is when I use affiliat links. Then, my open rate drops. I tried link cloaking but it didn‘t work. That is why I‘m struggeling at the moment...
As I said I'm a newbie, I have not tried email marketing yet... However, I would never send clicks from email direct to affiliate offers...
Create a Landing Page... Add some value there and insert your affiliate links on that page... (as people have read your email, and will have found even more related value on your LP this might increase the overall CR)

So let's see if we have any seasoned email marketers here that can give us more insights ;)

The word 'keto' is on the spam scrub lists
this is an example of how SpamAssassin works;

use a IMAP Client and view the message source
gmail is for consumers
This guy is walking the line @ 4.1
**this is worth a look **added Spam DNS Lists - Computer Tyme Support Wiki
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.4.2 (2018-09-13) on
antispam01.runbox.com
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-4.1 required=5.0 tests=DKIM_SIGNED,DKIM_VALID,
DKIM_VALID_AU,HTML_MESSAGE,KAM_BODY_MARKETINGBL_PCCC,KAM_HUGEIMGSRC,
KAM_LOTSOFHASH,KAM_MARKETINGBL_PCCC,MIME_QP_LONG_LINE,
RCVD_IN_HOSTKARMA_W,RCVD_IN_IADB_DK,RCVD_IN_IADB_LISTED,
RCVD_IN_IADB_RDNS,RCVD_IN_IADB_SENDERID,RCVD_IN_IADB_SPF,
RCVD_IN_IADB_VOUCHED,RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H2,SPF_HELO_PASS,SPF_PASS
shortcircuit=no autolearn=disabled version=3.4.2
X-Spam-Report:
* 0.0 KAM_BODY_MARKETINGBL_PCCC Body contains URI associated with
* mass-marketing (PCCC Raptor Email Security)
* [URIs: campaign-archive.com]
* -2.5 RCVD_IN_HOSTKARMA_W RBL: Sender listed in HOSTKARMA-WHITE
* [198.2.181.80 listed in hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com]
* -0.4 RCVD_IN_IADB_LISTED RBL: Participates in the IADB system
* [198.2.181.80 listed in iadb.isipp.com]
* -0.0 RCVD_IN_IADB_SENDERID RBL: IADB: Sender publishes Sender ID
* record
* -0.2 RCVD_IN_IADB_DK RBL: IADB: Sender publishes Domain Keys record
* -0.0 RCVD_IN_IADB_SPF RBL: IADB: Sender publishes SPF record
* -2.2 RCVD_IN_IADB_VOUCHED RBL: ISIPP IADB lists as vouched-for
* sender
* -0.2 RCVD_IN_IADB_RDNS RBL: IADB: Sender has reverse DNS record
* -0.0 RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H2 RBL: Average reputation (+2)
* [198.2.181.80 listed in wl.mailspike.net]
* -0.0 SPF_HELO_PASS SPF: HELO matches SPF record
* -0.0 SPF_PASS SPF: sender matches SPF record
* 0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
* 0.0 MIME_QP_LONG_LINE RAW: Quoted-printable line longer than 76
* chars
* -0.1 DKIM_VALID_AU Message has a valid DKIM or DK signature from
* author's domain
* 0.1 DKIM_SIGNED Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not necessarily
* valid
* -0.1 DKIM_VALID Message has at least one valid DKIM or DK signature
* 0.2 KAM_HUGEIMGSRC Message contains many image tags with huge http
* urls
* 1.0 KAM_MARKETINGBL_PCCC Message contains URI associated with
* mass-marketing (PCCC Raptor Email Security)
* 0.2 KAM_LOTSOFHASH Emails with lots of hash-like gibberish

Last edited:
Also, let's remember that if you have a bunch of GMail subscribers, Google may already have had some of them report the link for some reason which will result in the email going to the Promotions tab (folder). Gmail delivers emails to these tabs based on constantly changing algorithms that take variable data into account, including sender information, email content, and recipient engagement.

Keto can be a real challenge when it comes to email marketing, even with SOI and/or DOI lists.

The word 'keto' is on the spam scrub lists
this is an example of how SpamAssassin works;

use a IMAP Client and view the message source
gmail is for consumers
This guy is walking the line @ 4.1
I don't really understand this example... How should I understand it or how can I take action?

Thank you for your info :)

Also, let's remember that if you have a bunch of GMail subscribers, Google may already have had some of them report the link for some reason which will result in the email going to the Promotions tab (folder). Gmail delivers emails to these tabs based on constantly changing algorithms that take variable data into account, including sender information, email content, and recipient engagement.

Keto can be a real challenge when it comes to email marketing, even with SOI and/or DOI lists.
Thank you for your respond.

What would you suggest me to do? Change the niche? Or do you think I can do something else?

What would you suggest me to do?

Yeah, I would definitely try Graybeard's recommendation.

Change the niche?

No, it is a viable niche, you just need to find the formula for deliverability, opens, and click throughs. It may take a little experimenting, but that is the case with any form of funnel. No funnel is "pretty" and at it's best right out of the box! From my thinking, I would have landers for Keto, Mediterranean, and Blue Zones. Find offers for each. Then maybe try emails with something like "The Food Regimens of the GODS! Pick One!". Very often, like life itself, when a person has one choice they can say no, but when they have multiple choices they say yes to one or more of them. I would link the emails to a sorting lander and give them a great story about the three most healthy, fulfilling, and easy food regimens of the planet that have extended life, health, well being for thousands of years, and all while eating as much as one can. have no promotions on the sorting lander, only great stories about each food regimen with links to the landers for each type. When they go to a lander of one of those food regimens, have an awesome page full of incredible historical data, incredible success stories, and of course plenty of options to convert.

Yeah, I would definitely try Graybeard's recommendation.

No, it is a viable niche, you just need to find the formula for deliverability, opens, and click throughs. It may take a little experimenting, but that is the case with any form of funnel. No funnel is "pretty" and at it's best right out of the box! From my thinking, I would have landers for Keto, Mediterranean, and Blue Zones. Find offers for each. Then maybe try emails with something like "The Food Regimens of the GODS! Pick One!". Very often, like life itself, when a person has one choice they can say no, but when they have multiple choices they say yes to one or more of them. I would link the emails to a sorting lander and give them a great story about the three most healthy, fulfilling, and easy food regimens of the planet that have extended life, health, well being for thousands of years, and all while eating as much as one can. have no promotions on the sorting lander, only great stories about each food regimen with links to the landers for each type. When they go to a lander of one of those food regimens, have an awesome page full of incredible historical data, incredible success stories, and of course plenty of options to convert.
I would continue and see if you have what it takes to make it work. Success breeds success and comes to those that put in the effort. Jumping ship only starts a practice of jumping ship.
Thank you very much for these explanations. I have already tried a few landing pages and always adjusted my 10 welcome emails. But I have never tried it this way. I will continue to build my list and try new approaches until I find the profitable way.

Last edited by a moderator:
if the problem is in your affiliate link, then do not send it by emails, create landing page firstly and then redirect your customers to the offer page

There are ways to improve your email deliverability. You can have all your mails go to inbox.
Not very informative... Do you know the "ways"?
Please elaborate on them, always happy to learn and improve!

Everybody wants his mails to hit the 'inbox' ;)

270 billion emails are sent each day, and about half of those are spam. So, the essence of getting emails delivered to the inbox is having the inbox expect it and having the senders email whitelisted.

Mailbox providers regularly run reputation checks on many aspects of a senders emails. They include the senders reputation, the server and the IP reputation, the domains reputation, and the emails engagement metrics which will include bounces, spam complaints for the sender, the servers reputation. There is an abundance more, but this is where it all starts.

A bad reputation will see your inbox placement and open rates tank. Mailbox providers run programs that share data with other mailbox providers. They actually score things like the senders reputation, and all of the other considerations. Most of the scores are between 1 and 100, but some are a 1 to 10 scale.

You need to think like an ISP. They are masters at managing the daily onslaught of spam and most of it they manage to not even bother sending to your spam box. They are ruthless about this! They see the spam as a crime, and in most cases it is! If yours is not truly spam, and you have the senders permission but end up in the spam box, you need to encourage the recipients to whitelist you.

Think like an ISP. You need to know your email list history and work diligently to improve it on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. ISP's know the open rates & click rates, they know the emails sent to a spam folder by the recipient.

Where to start? Well, among the most relevant things to remember is to not send emails that have not opted in to your list(s). Secondly, make your content extremely relevant and extremely valuable to the recipient.

This is a brief summary. I have thought about training this part of what we do. In the mean time, start with what I have provided here. Email marketing is an addon to my email content. I don't send emails to market. I know that sounds strange, but the fact is my emails earn big for me because they are not about marketing. They are all about highly valuable content for my loyal subscribers that are always happy to get the information I send them. That's the formula! The conversions happen as a secondary and tertiary result.

As far as I know, they end up in spam because many members add them there.

As far as you know about whose members? How could you know whose members are going to someone's spam box by choice?

In our membership, we have an extremely low spam box rate and an extremely low bounce rate because we encourage members to opt out of emails if they so desire.

MI
Back