The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

PPV, or Media Buying?

mrmetro

I am curious if anyone has opinions on which they prefer. Or maybe they do both. The guys making decent money, I am wondering if they prefer to use PPV, or media buying, or they do both anyway?

Currently I am trying to get into media buying, with sitescout and similar to start.

I think you will find that there are plenty of marketers in both camps. I haven't done any PPV to speak of, but I do love media buys. They both have merit and they both have an abundance of elite marketers.

In general we start off with PPV and later on when we have winner we try to scale to media buys. This is vlaid tactic to maximize revenue :)

Thanks,

Though the ad targeting might work similarly, these traffic sources couldn't be more different. Media Buying is buying slots on websites for your banner ads to be displayed. Also known as display advertising. You can tell a platform to run on all sites related to your keywords, or you can choose the sites you want to bid for placement on. Now, this is a very simplified explanation, but it's just a broad stroke of what a media buy is.

PPV traffic source is primarily through adware. I've only played a little with PPV, but I know many PPV marketers that love it and do very well with it.
PPV, Pay Per View, CPV is online advertising ad model based on the ad impressions that are actually viewed by a user. This is defined by the display advertisement being visible on the window for at least one second (usually used with pop-ups, pop-unders and interstitial ads). PPV companies allow affiliate marketers to show their ads on thousands of computers infected with their adware application. The advertiser can choose when their ad will be shown by targeting it by either URL or a keyword.

Last edited:
thanks for that. I was completely unaware that PPV was basically only from adware. Not sure if Id want to advertise my legitimate business with it then?

It's not possible to give an exact answer... different marketers may have different opinions.

So, all I can do is give you my opinion.

I believe both models are good and have a tremendous potential. I personally do a lot of media buying and just little PPV, but it's more a personal preference, not that media buying is superior.

For beginners, both offer plenty of possibilities. If you can think creatively, you can do great things with both models. Both have good volume and allow affiliates to profit big.

The downside for PPV is the quality of the traffic, which is low. The low price definitely offers a fair compensation for that, but, in my opinion, it's easier for a beginner to deal with quality traffic and less data when getting started.

The downside for media buying is the budget that's necessary for testing placements properly, which can make it out of reach for many marketers.

But I understand that you want a "winner" and, although I am sure other marketers may disagree and have other valid arguments, I personally would pick media buying as a slightly better alternative for beginners due to the possibility of using RTB (Real Time Bidding) platforms such as Site Scout for testing campaigns with ease, good prices and high quality traffic.

MI
Back