Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Optimise and tracking tokens?

Mathias Winther

affiliate
Hi guys.

I am doing mobile CPA Pops

I got a few questions:

- When optimising / split-testing do you guys create various campaigns for the same offer targeting OS, devices, Carriers and so on?
Like this:
1. same offer, same, GEO, same OS, same Carriers, (everything the same) but device: iphone 6
2. same offer, same, GEO, same OS, same Carriers, (everything the same) but device: iphone 7
3. same offer, same, GEO, same OS, same Carriers, (everything the same) but device: iphone 8
4. etc.
5. etc.

And when you find the best convertion device, move on to optimise / split test something else with same approach.

- How do tracking tokens work?
If I am using Voluum tracker, and put my landers, offers, ads an so on in my tracker, does it track everything "by it self"? Or do I need to put in different tokens in my campaign URL (device, OS, carriers, clickid, siteId etc.) to even track something? Like if I want to see which devices I need to split test and cut, do I need to put in &s1={device}?

Hi guys.

I am doing mobile CPA Pops

I got a few questions:

- When optimising / split-testing do you guys create various campaigns for the same offer targeting OS, devices, Carriers and so on?
Like this:
1. same offer, same, GEO, same OS, same Carriers, (everything the same) but device: iphone 6
2. same offer, same, GEO, same OS, same Carriers, (everything the same) but device: iphone 7
3. same offer, same, GEO, same OS, same Carriers, (everything the same) but device: iphone 8
4. etc.
5. etc.

And when you find the best convertion device, move on to optimise / split test something else with same approach.

- How do tracking tokens work?
If I am using Voluum tracker, and put my landers, offers, ads an so on in my tracker, does it track everything "by itself"? Or do I need to put in different tokens in my campaign URL (device, OS, carriers, clickid, siteId etc.) to even track something? Like if I want to see which devices I need to split test and cut, do I need to put in &s1={device}?

Hello Mathias!

Split-testing and optimizing is a constant practice.

I love this question, so let me see how I can best illustrate my opinion on the topic:

If we are just discussing the revenue-generating portion of your campaigns, then yes, keep most things the same and only include 1 variable for measuring results (in your example, iPhone 6/7/8). I would never go beyond 2 variables at the same time, as it would skew your ability to analyze and capitalize with confidence.

If we are discussing both the cost portion (traffic source) and revenue portion (funnel), then things become more difficult. In this case, you might be best to aim at split testing the traffic source and simply analyzing the reporting data gathered by your tracker (Voluum, it seems). You should be able to sort through the gathered device data for each campaign and see the percentage of clicks/conversions for each device that clicked on your campaign. So long as your campaigns are just targeting Mobile in the GEOs and Carriers that you approve, then the rest should be pretty easy to analyze.

This brings us around to the second question you bring up, regarding tracking tokens:

Many of the best trackers out there will pre-define traffic sources inside the platform so that you can simply choose your source and see what custom variables will be available to pass from traffic source to tracker. Each traffic source is going to use a slightly different formatting for their tokens, so it's critical that you see the right tokens in the pre-defined fields. A great check for this is the website Tokens and Macros For Paid-Traffic Networks - it may not have everything from everyone, but it's got most from most!

Voluum should be tracking data such as device, carrier, OS, etc by default. Meanwhile, Voluum will assign a different unique identifier to the click than your traffic source will, so you'll want to have both of those in your click data. It may require adding that token for your specific source into the URL.

Please let me know if you have any more curiosities on this topic for discussion!

Cheers,

Hi Stephen.
This really helped alot. thanks!

I got one more question about tokens:

So If most of the tracking parameters is by default in Voluum, then I only need to use "extra tokens" If I want to track something i Voluum that is now by default right? I noticed that they had different tokens to choose from.

and I did not quite understand this part:

"Meanwhile, Voluum will assign a different unique identifier to the click than your traffic source will, so you'll want to have both of those in your click data. It may require adding that token for your specific source into the URL. "

Happy to help!

Voluum will allow you to pull any data from your traffic source that you can, by utilizing their var1, var2, var3, etc. For example, if you selected the Appnext traffic source, they have var1, var2, and var3 filled with their template, but you could discuss with the rep at Appnext if they have any additional tokens that you might like to pass for more data to analyze and optimize with. You have var4 - var10 to fill up with whatever you'd like to throw in there.

As for the last part:

Voluum, like ThriveTracker and others, is going to assign each entry into your campaign a unique identifier. Voluum refers to this as a Click ID. But Voluum's Click ID is likely to be different than the unique identifier that your traffic source assigned to that same click. You can find what the specific traffic source uses in each of the Voluum traffic source templates, in the "External ID" row.

Cheers!

Sorry but this part of "the game" I cant seem to fully understand.

Would it be possible for you to lay it out for me a-z, and just pretend that I am seriously stupid when you do it? o_O

I understand how to register offers, landers, networks in my tracker. Also how to postback (pixel) URL to network.

But The Token part is to me a mystery.

I know that Voluum do already have a template from popads.net (which I am going to use), and I read Charles Ngo guide where he suggest to put this in last in the Offer URL: &s1={campaign.id}&s2={clickid} And then everything should be tracking?

"More detailed explanation: The cake platform doesn’t want you to send different variables into the &s1 variable. That’s why we’re entering the campaignID. The &s2 is where they can allow dynamic variables. ClickID = each click you send gets a UNIQUE number, and that’s how they keep track of the data."

I understand that every click need a unique number to track and analyse it. But I dont how to use tokens besides this. At all.. :confused:

Hmmmm let me do my best here ;)

PopAds has a pretty complete template in Voluum right now. I would run with it as it is. There are nine custom variables already built into it and there's also a cost token set up for you as well. This is all tremendously helpful.

But the tokens you're discussing (regarding CAKE and the s1 or s2 variables) is actually something that you're going to pass on the OFFER URL, rather than your campaign URL. So in this instance, you're going to pass your Voluum clickID into the s2 variable for CAKE, because they use s1 for their own internal purposes.

So you don't actually need to worry about any of this with the use of the PopAds template. You just need to input the s2={clickid} into the offer URL, along with any other tokens that you'd like to send to your offer network. Most affiliates will not send anything that isn't being asked for by the network, for privacy purposes. You want to pass your Voluum clickID because it's what allows you to actually keep the network accountable to your conversions.

Does that paint a better picture for you?

Ahh. Much better yes. Thanks you just saved my day :)

So If i need to track anything else in my campaign besides the 9 custom I can add tokens to my campaign url?

I'm not totally certain about this with Voluum, but I believe they will allow up to 10 custom variables to pass, in addition to External ID and Cost (Thrive is the same way).

If you would like to track different tokens than what is in the pre-defined template, you can edit the template to fit your needs!

Hi Stephen.

I actually got another question as well.

Lets say I spy, and swipe a landing page that I want to use or customize. But I want to check for stuff like "Anti-spying protection", "backdoors" and traps in the lander.

Is this something you know something about?

yes It would be good for me if I put one in my lander.

But I dont want any of my traffic stolen by another.

I need to find and remove any Backdoor, traps etc. but I am not quite sure what to look for

I cant code.

Everybody copy at some level and customize different variations of ads and landers. Because it works and is ificiant.

Look at an ad and instantly your mind register information about this ad. Maybe you use this information the same way he did or maybe you customize. But it is still copying

Hi Stephen.

I actually got another question as well.

Lets say I spy, and swipe a landing page that I want to use or customize. But I want to check for stuff like "Anti-spying protection", "backdoors" and traps in the lander.

Is this something you know something about?
You can get rid of most harmful things in a ripped lander by removing just about everything within <script> tags. If something you delete causes the page to break, add it back in and keep deleting other scripts you find in the code.

banners
Back