“Adavice”/  “1Win

Fixing the Chrome cache issues when designing

Graybeard

On a desktop or tablet:

1. F12
  2. Select the 'network' tab and check off 'disable cache'
  3. F5 reload the page without the cache
  4. F12 go back to the desktop view
Then you can see your design (or file) changes ...
Google Chrome is a designers/programmers nightmare sometimes -- this eliminates the problems with Chrome caching FAST.

That wont work on Chrome LINUX. Used to long ago ... Firefox will sometimes reload a css change. If not ctrl+F5 will work.
Chrome mobile (Android) you have to delete the cache from the settings or try an 'incognito' tab.

I am working with a site using AJAX content, title and description updates. I think Chrome is a crap browser personally but it is a necessary devil as it has the largest market share today.

You can implement a PHP script that must be the first line of code in your index file . It is an http header typically issued by web servers. You can also rename the resource that is considered "stale".

Did you read that in a book :D
I use PHP includes using SSI in HTML a lot. PHP
The response header is what matters

Why do you assume PHP? If you prefaced your statement with 'when using PHP' it might make sense.

For the Google Chrometard browser (web hack and advertising tracking browser) on LINUX (if that matters)
add this to the server configuration for HTML or any response headers that are going to be sent by the server

Nginix style:

add_header Cache-Control "public, max-age=-1, s-maxage=-1";

FireFox honors the Ctrl +R command, Google is not that bright
So this was intended as a work around
2. What if I was testing a website not on my server? I could not modify the PHP script on some random remote server

An implicit Cache-Control header at the webserver lever always worked for me on all browsers but is a server intensive header to use (for obvious reasons)

>>>Setting the Content-Type header twice is illegal and therefore the behaviour will be undefined.

See RFC7230 section 3.2.2:

A sender MUST NOT generate multiple header fields with the same field name in a message unless either the entire field value for that header field is defined as a comma-separated list [i.e., #(values)] or the header field is a well-known exception (as noted below).

Web servers often sanitise the HTTP headers emitted by applications, such as adding missing headers. One assumes that Apache removes the duplicate header whereas nginx does not.

^^^ php-fpm, nginx, and headers <<<

Apparently the quoted string is supported on my Nginx version Indicating Character Encoding and Language for HTTP Header Field Parameters It may not be supported on older server versions being used.

Last edited:
I am modifying a site's appearance (CSS modifications) but can't see the result on Chrome because of annoying persistent cache. I tried Shift+refresh but it doesn't work.

How can I disable the cache temporarily or refresh the page in some way that I could see the changes?

banners
Back