Certified

T J Tutor

GM
Administrator
Certified Vendor
Dojo Master
AffKit
Facebook Signals Institutions Are Out, Individuals Are In

That's the title of the article I just read at AdvertisingAge that came by way of the news
aggregate SmartBrief on Social.

The article goes on to tell us about last weeks FB news feed algorithm update. Apparently the intention, as well as the outcome, is that personal content from friends and family is prioritized over content from publishers and other professionals.

It is obvious, say the reporters, that study after study has proven for years now that relationships are what's important and the news feed has not been reacting or organized to reflect that.

Quote:"Facebook's public posture is clear: No organization will ever be on the same footing as peers. While on the surface this appears to de-emphasize institutions, the reality is that it gives every company -- the press included -- a clear roadmap for how to build organic engagement at a critical time."

Quote: "71% of consumers rely on peer sources for buying decisions"

Quote: "The road to organic reach and trust is built gradually by creating true one-to-one connections"

All of this is what most everyone into content marketing has always known. The slow steady drip of high quality content that bonds the people to our information eventually gives way to their trust on our recommended buying decisions for them.

What will be interesting is to see how this reflects with those using the FB platform, et al, for affiliate sales. There is a pattern as of recent. We've seen the requirement for a blue badge in order to have affiliate links in ones ads. Now we see the news feed being dramatically altered to push our ads down in the priority list.

Tim Burd was here a few weeks back and made it clear, figuring out how to find balance with FB's rules and operate with high quality content, transparency, and indulging the people on FB is how we all have to move forward with that platform.

How do you think this latest change will effect your social marketing with FB?

It just occurred to me after reading your post @T J Tutor , that the social platforms are pushing us into becoming better, more professional marketers with long term stability.

While all the changes can be really frustrating and challenge what has become the normal way of doing things, these are actually opportunities to move to a higher level. Only downside that I can see is that it may take more work and time for those used to doing things 'the old way'.

... The article goes on to tell us about last weeks FB news feed algorithm update. Apparently the intention, as well as the outcome, is that personal content from friends and family is prioritized over content from publishers and other professionals...
... While all the changes can be really frustrating and challenge what has become the normal way of doing things, these are actually opportunities to move to a higher level. Only downside that I can see is that it may take more work and time for those used to doing things 'the old way'.
I think this is always only a transitory period of appearance.
IMHO the ultimate goal of all these algo-changes can ultimately only be to replicate the reality as closely as possible.

MI
Back