The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

cookie policy, privacy policy and GDPR

ronni12345

affiliate
Hi,

When I'm adding affiliate links or banners to website should I add to the cookie policy and privacy policy also regarding GDPR an explanation about the cookies?
How do I know what to write? I'm not expert for GDPR

Thanks

WELCOME ABOARD ...
thumbsup.png

━━━●──────────────
Legally you should. People now just click or just overlook it.
Mine floats at the bottom of the page as you scroll.
  • I was thinking more of the SEM and SEO implications of compliance.
  • I think is might lend a sense of 'legitimacy' and 'trust' <<< in consumer eyes that matters ;)
Cookie Compliant Website Script

Welcome to the forums :cool:

There are tons of free policies you can download and use, a google search will find what you need. Just make sure you read the policies through and change anything not relevant to your needs.

I was thinking more of the SEM and SEO implications of compliance

I have long-wondered if the policy pages matter for SEO, in this way --> is the Google algorithm capable of 'reading' common pages (since these are not in schema mark-up), and if so does it form part of Google's algo? In this same way I always wondered if 'lorem ipsum text' was an automatic de-ranking factor?

Some customers do scroll all the way down to footer (I know it from Hotjar heatmaps) and click pages like 'contact', 'about', 'privacy' so it makes sense to have the basic ones, think it depends on 1) how far you want to go with brand building 2) what type of questions your customers ask on a regular basis

Hi,

When I'm adding affiliate links or banners to website should I add to the cookie policy and privacy policy also regarding GDPR an explanation about the cookies?
How do I know what to write? I'm not expert for GDPR

Thanks

It depends what country you are located
Contact your local or national business start-up agency
Like @Strickland said
There are tons of free policies you can download and use
You can always look at your competitors and publish your own tailored version

The fine for not having that cookie policy notice in the EU is 250K euros --that includes a foreign business transacting with persons in the EU. I don't know of any enforcement actions currently --but who needs to deal with it?

The California policy is not in effect yet.

I think I may have misunderstood the question -- if your website does not use cookies you are exempt. If the offer does --that is their problem.
So long as YOUR websites does not set a cookie when a link is clicked then you are technically exempt.

Now tracking would be a separate 'exact issue' I am not sure if that is in the specific language of the directive or not.
A focus of the revision is to improve transparency to consumers and introduce stricter opt-ins for cookies (and similar tracking technologies).

see
The ePrivacy Directive
The GDPR and what it means for affiliates
there is some ambiguity indicated

Last edited:
banners
Back