The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Cookie Armageddon Part 2

Graybeard

Tracking Cookie Armageddon Part 1

This thread/post 1 was originally dated May 21, 2019
What's changed?
Cookie tracking is becoming less and less reliable --browser policies are biting back.

Well, I am seeing a new choice when opening a (larger) website now. The cookie banner is there but you can choose the types of cookies you will accept.
There is a reason for all of this: the EU is adopting *long arm* legal tactics and threatening that this GDPR applies to its citizens regardless where the website is hosted and where the website owner is located (meaning outside the EU territorial jurisdiction). The fines as I recall are 200K€ or some up to excessive amount. Then there is the CCPA law in California that will change how silicon valley operates in the next 2 years.

So, here is a tool solution to ensure your compliance --NO ENDORSEMENT IMPLIED I just saw this this morning --there is a Free Version to try out

We have to say Goodbye to third party cookies by the end of 2022 ..
Google will plot a course towards a more privacy-friendly web

- Samira

Well, Google reacts ...
Browsers force solutions ...
Firefox is hard ass about this:
firefox-settings-privacy.jpg

There are a number of dilemmas that will pop up for the users once all of these policies are in place. Most about lack of product awareness. Publishers, advertisers, and product owners are going to dramatically reduce spending on digital ads if they cannot track the results of their money spent on ads and conversions. This will likely start bigger pushes (ONCE AGAIN) in the SEO fields.

30 day return cookie :rolleyes:
Welcome to 2004

Exactly, the push will be a set back for all parties. In every manor, of every business, data is the most relevant factor and when it is removed from one area of business it has profound effects on most other aspects of businesses.

1. There are backend alternatives to cookies
  2. You could increase affiliate payouts to make first view conversions profitable
    --and just not worry about second (or later) view conversions
When cookies don't work --conversions are hard to track and credit to affiliates --that should be obvious (by now).

When cookies don't work --conversions are hard to track and credit to affiliates --that should be obvious (by now).

I guarantee that the big bucks brands are spending a ton of money right now, and over the recent past, trying to develop some strong solutions for this. I know all of the tracking companies are working on this and have been for a while.

big bucks brands
Why?
Customer acquisitions, from affiliate direct sales, as an absolute percentage, of most 'known brands' are a very small percentage of all sales.

These 'return cookies' that I am mocking have always been subject to extreme slippage --through deletion or private browser usage --now the slippage factor is even greater by the user's browser simply rejecting the cookie due to some inconsistency.

The browser just needs to elevate its cookie policies.

Affiliates (for that matter all non-salaried salespersons) have always been the free PR Brand building component in marketing. If their affiliate sales decrease dramatically --smart business people will raise the compensation if they want affiliate traffic or lose it to their competitor.

banners
Back