The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Honeybadger

AffKit Ninja
I have wanted to create remix videos since I started using the internet, but just never got around to learning it
Since becoming affiliate I noticed many remix videos with millions of views on YouTube and ads, so got me into thinking - can it be monetized?

1. Can you generate revenue from remixing someone else's song, even if you give them full credit with all the copyright notices? (I'm guessing the answer is no)
  2. Is it ok to publish non-commercial (without ads) remixes of other people's videos without their permission, but with full credit given and all the copyright notices displayed?
  3. Does anyone know best software to use if I want to learn remixing music videos on YouTube
TYVM

Last edited:
  1. Can you generate revenue from remixing someone else's song, even if you give them full credit with all the copyright notices? (I'm guessing the answer is no)
  2. Is it ok to publish non-commercial (without ads) remixes of other people's videos without their permission, but with full credit given and all the copyright notices displayed?
TYVM

It depends on the artist/record label/copyright owner. Some will ask that the ad revenue generated by the video goes to them and others will ask that the video is removed completely (and you'll probably get a copyright strike in the process.)

Rick Beato has a few videos about this subject.

Rick Beato has a few videos about this subject.

This is really interesting
TY for sharing Rick Beato's channel @SrLudwig
He says for "for a million views on You Tube you make 1,250 bucks"
That in itself is valuable information
  • 1 million views = $1,250
  • 100,000 views = $125
  • 10,000 views = $12.50
  • 1,000 views = $1.25
  • 100 views = 12c
  • 10 views = 1c
  • 1 view = 0.1c
Works out roughly 1 cent per 10 views in ad revenue

I guess the take home, to avoid problems, is to ask permission first
The rights holder (or their PR team) could say a variety of things
  • No, you can't use our content
  • Yes, you can use our content, with condition you give us all the ad revenue
  • Yes, you can use our contemt, with condition you give us 50% of the ad revenue
Also, interesting information
When a You Tube video gets a block, views get throttled
So if you re-upload a 1 million viewed video, without the copyrighted content, the views reset to zero
Which means less views the second time around

Last edited:
This is really interesting
TY for sharing Rick Beato's channel @SrLudwig
He says for "for a million views on You Tube you make 1,250 bucks"
That in itself is valuable information
  • 1 million views = $1,250
  • 100,000 views = $125
  • 10,000 views = $12.50
  • 1,000 views = $1.25
  • 100 views = 12c
  • 10 views = 1c
  • 1 view = 0.1c
Works out roughly 1 cent per 10 views in ad revenue

I guess the take home, to avoid problems, is to ask permission first
The rights holder (or their PR team) could say a variety of things
  • No, you can't use our content
  • Yes, you can use our content, with condition you give us all the ad revenue
  • Yes, you can use our contemt, with condition you give us 50% of the ad revenue
Also, interesting information
When a You Tube video gets a block, views get throttled
So if you re-upload a 1 million viewed video, without the copyrighted content, the views reset to zero
Which means less views the second time around

Rick Beato's channel is great, mostly for musicians or music aficionados; but he also posts useful content for marketers sometimes.

About earnings, I've heard different numbers from different people. If I recall correctly, the Income School guys said that they were making around $4,000 per month with an average of (I think) 300k views. That sounds like A LOT to me, even if some niches generate more income than others.

I'll look for the video I'm talking about, maybe I'm not remembering the correct numbers.

@SrLudwig
He does have good videos
I learned alot from Mr Beato in a very short space of time
Only thing I disagree is moaning about artists/their reps enforcing their legal rights
It doesn't matter how big or small a channel is
Imho if you use someone's copyright content without their permission and derive a profit that's called stealing
As I understand it, correct me if it's wrong?

@SrLudwig
He does have good videos
I learned alot from Mr Beato in a very short space of time
Only thing I disagree is moaning about artists/their reps enforcing their legal rights
It doesn't matter how big or small a channel is
Imho if you use someone's copyright content without their permission and derive a profit that's called stealing
As I understand it, correct me if it's wrong?

I agree 100% with you. I like Rick a lot, but he's wrong here. Nobody owes him anything. The idea that he should be allowed to use someone else's copyright because he's promoting their work is ridiculous.

Yo @SrLudwig
Got another question
Do song covers with affiliate ads infringe copyright?
This cover of "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns n’ Roses has 34 million views and starts with Google Ads

I don't know a lot about copyright laws but it appears that they're licensed:

Licensed to YouTube by​

Studio71_2_5; LatinAutorPerf, UMPG Publishing, UMPI, Global Music Rights LLC, UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, LatinAutor - Warner Chappell, LatinAutor - UMPG, and 9 Music Rights Societies

Yo @SrLudwig
Got another question
This cover of "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns n’ Roses has 34 million views and starts with Google Ads

As @azgold mentioned, they must've paid for the copyright. If you pay for the rights to record a cover, then you can monetize the content.

The work YouTube works though (I think), you can actually take someone else's copyrighted material without permission, upload it, and then the copyright owner can file a complaint and ask YouTube to monetize the video instead of removing it (all the ad revenue goes to the copyright owner, of course.)

Others ask for the content to be removed and I think when this happens YT gives you a copyright strike. There's another music analysis channel I follow (David Bennet Piano), he often plays parts of songs, but not the original songs, covers.

I'm not sure if he has to pay the copyright owners of the cover version, or if he doesn't pay them at all, all his videos are definitely monetized with YT ads and affiliate programs. Here's an example of one of these videos:

I know for example, that youtubers that teach how to play songs on guitar or piano, are often hit with copyright strikes or have videos demonetized.

YT gives you a copyright strike
Yup they do. I got one from using a video from THEIR creative commons free-to-use video section.

The video was okay but the background music was a copyright infringement.

Personally, I think the guy who uploaded probably did it on purpose to get easy ad revenue. He didn't get it from me, I took it down.

YouTube made me go to copyright school. :D Which, at the time anyway, was really really easy. REALLY easy. Felt like a light slap on the wrist.

MI
Back