The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Advice on acquiring domain name?

TeDWooD

A domain is needed for my site and I have been looking through information and some sources say its better to buy a domain name that has a high page rank instead of starting one off. First off I don't know where I can get a domain name that is already existing.
There is also a domain I really want but its currently in use, but all it does it link to another site. There is no form of contact and I don't want to use a domain broker is there any other way besides that?
The domain I'm looking at doesn't have both keywords I am looking for. Will it matter as long as I have one?
Also should I use hyphen as I heard for SEO terms its good even if its two words?
I will be grateful for all your answers.

There is also a domain I really want but its currently in use, but all it does it link to another site. There is no form of contact and I don't want to use a domain broker is there any other way besides that?

Have you checked the Whois to find the contact info for the owner?

I have tried the whois lookup and then went onto network solutions, then aboutus.org. I managed to find a contact. I also went onto noktadomains.com and have put an asking offer for $160/?102. I will wait for a response from the seller and maybe contact the person beforehand from aboutus.org.
The reason i want it is because it comes in the top 10 results for something and is being put to waste.

Search the internet for expired domains if you prefer to buy a high pr domain. Note you might not buy domain that the owner is not willing to sell. Truth is the best domain names and gone just need to be creative. However, domain name is not evey thing but traffic is, this is the web.

I have just bough my domain name. Should i buy variations so people can't steal it and try and sell it me later? Or should that be saved for when i get a lot of traffic?

Did you get the domain you wanted? The one you were trying to buy?
Did you get the .com?

I think whether or not to reg additional domains for protection depends on how brandable it is and how much you worry about things like that. To some degree it isn't an issue until you get bigger and have traffic. But it's one of those things some people don't worry about too much until it happens - suddenly one day you want to reg it only to find out someone else already did.

No, unfortunately they were unwilling to settle for the bid i put in. So i did a lookup on whois and godaddy and found a really good domain name with a '.com'. Being honest i think its much better and could even be branched into other things.
At the moment the domain is parked at godaddy, even though the idea is something different than blogging, should i start blogging on the site anyway before i have the official launch?

I have just bough my domain name. Should i buy variations so people can't steal it and try and sell it me later? Or should that be saved for when i get a lot of traffic?

Do it now before somebody else does. Now it's cheap. Later it might cost you an arm and a leg.

I wish someone had given me this advice in 1994. :eek:

Do it now before somebody else does. Now it's cheap. Later it might cost you an arm and a leg.

I wish someone had given me this advice in 1994. :eek:

That's exactly what im scared of minstrel.
Also its three words put together with no hyphens. Will that be okay i kinda though of it afterwards but am not sure whether i should have had hyphens or not?

Also its three words put together with no hyphens. Will that be okay i kinda though of it afterwards but am not sure whether i should have had hyphens or not?

It's not criticial. Depending on your resources, you might want to grab the hyphenated versions as well, at least for the .com and .co.uk versions.

One last question.
Should i get hosting and start blogging even though the site isn't intended for that?
As the original idea is going to require me to make things like graphics and learn code etc.

I agree with Linda. that way, when you do get to the point where you can code the site you want, you'll already have an established domain.

MI
Back