The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

WP Blog Related

stitch

affiliate
This might be a stupid question but I can't find the answer to it any where.
I just set up Word Press blog on my own domain and noticed that now my mydomain.com is always redirected to mydomain.com/post-name. I understand that this is due to permalinks?? but how do I have a main page that when you browse for mydomain.com it actually goes to a homepage/mainpage for mydomain.com and not mydomain.com/post-name I woud appreciate any help as this is doing my head in.:confused:

You can set up a static home page for the blog if you wish via the Dashboard, although in most cases you will want to default to the most recent post(s).

When you say it is "redirecting" do you mean that literally? i.e., does it change in the browser address displayed from http://www.domain.com to http://www.domain.com/post-name? If so, that's odd...

• go to Settings | General in the Dashboard.
  • set both "WordPress address" and "Blog address: to http://www.domain.com (i.e., make them the same)
Do you have any SEO plugins installed (e.g., All-in-One SEO)? If so what settings are you using there?

Hi minstrel and thanks for replying I really do appreciate it

Yes I mean literally redirecting to mydomain.com/post-name it's happeng with 2 of my blogs

I do have All-in-One SEO the settings are as follows:

Post Title Format %post_title% | %blog_title%

Page Title Format%page_title% | %blog_title%

Category Title Format %category_title% | %blog_title%

Archive Title Format %date% | %blog_title%

Tag Title Format %tag% | %blog_title%

Search Title Format %search% | %blog_title%

Description Title Format %description%

404 Title Format Nothing found for %request_words%

Paged Format - Part %page%

Can you PM me the URL to your two blogs? (Even better if you can give me Admin access to the Dashboard with a temp account.)

I'm helping my son move today (waking up with coffee first) so it may be a few hours but I'd like to have a look.

Can't view the iPad one - getting a 404 not found.

For the other one, I can confirm your problem but I can't see a whole lot out of the ordinary there.

What hosting are you using?

Just looking at a view source... you're using WP 3.0 beta, which may be the problem. You might want to revert to WordPress 2.92, which is the latest stable version.

For All-in-One SEO, do you have the Canonical URLs option checked?

I've got canonicals checked I just pmd you my details, that's weird I don't get error message. I have absoutely no idea why

Both links in the second PM worked - it may have been a space somewhere or a temporary DNS issue. Gotta leave soon to help my son move but I'll look into it more later.

One final question: These two are both using the same hosting service. Are these your only two blogs? Do you have any blogs where this is NOT happening? Just want to make sure it's not a server configuration issue.

OK - one more: Can you PM me the contents of your .htaccess file for one or both of the blogs?

Your blogs are working as they should be now.

The main problem was a plug-in called "Redirection" which was messing up your URLs. Deactivated this on both blogs.

I also deactivated a second superfluous plugin on both blogs: "SEO No Duplicate" - not needed and likely to create other problems for you if it wasn't already doing so.

These may have been preventing proper spidering of your blogs, too.

Oh, I also enabled feeds for your blogs, Atom and RSS. Some, maybe many people will find you via feed searches - no point in leaving any stome unturned. :)

Wow, David, you really go above and beyond the call of duty for our members! Even at a dedicated blogging forum no one is going to actually fix your blog for you. Advice, yes, but actually going in and fixing it, no.

You are amazing!

Thank you!

Wow, David, you really go above and beyond the call of duty for our members! Even at a dedicated blogging forum no one is going to actually fix your blog for you. Advice, yes, but actually going in and fixing it, no.

You are amazing!

Thank you!

Thanks, Linda. :)

The truth is that ever since my mainframe programming days I never can resist an interesting bug-finding mission. It "bugs" me until I figure it out. :eek:

My youngest son is not doing web design and graphics design and he seems to have inherited it from me... ;)

I totally agree with Linda - you are amazing I can't thank you enough, Coming home from work to see that you fixed my problem was the best, you definately made my day that's for sure! Thank you, thank you,thank you:D

MI
Back