The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Will changing from .com to .uk domain cost me my PR and backlinks

smeagain

Distinguished Member
affiliate
I would go for hosting the well established .com on a UK located server. By far the best result and risk free. Domain Name changes should always be avoided unless there is a compelling reason for it and there is no sensible alternative.

I used both .co.uk and .com - both give different results.

.com domains are easier to get linked to and you'll get faster promotion - downside is more spam and less UK traffic.

.co.uk you'll get more targeted UK traffic and be seen as a 'local' website. Seeing as your main audience is UK, then that's what you want to attract and convert. When showing your website name, display your site as a UK site - this will let people know who you serve.

Eg: Killmywebsite UK or Killmywebsite.co.uk - also use a large size font, make it easy for visitors to see what you offer and who you serve!

If your .com domain is the same name, then hang on to it for later use.

PS: Use a UK server/host, less complications involved and get a copy of your website and database (they are 2 different things!)

Yes, you can get a designer/coder to transfer the links from the .com domain to the .co.uk domain and you won't lose the links. But if you say sold the .com or didn't renew it then the links will be lost. It happened to me and I lost 50k's worth (fortunately most links were worthless).

Yep get a re-direct done and shouldn't be long until you build up a nice lot of new links on the new domain.

You needn't move the .com to a uk server, you really need to set the domain geo location in Google webmaster tools and Google is sorted.

Switching domains isn't something to be taken lightly, take advice is my advice.

I would tend to agree with OWG, Google webmaster tools will geo target your dot com site - if you were to use that function. It is as good as .co.uk, IMHO.

There are so many .com sites out there geo targeted only for UK. moneysupermarket, moneysaving expert - you name a few big names and they all have a .com site - targeting UK.

Changing servers is better only if ur in a very competetive field.

I wld re-direct the .co.uk site to the .com - since you have built links to .com site.

I may be wrong though! But Listen to OWG - worth his wt in gold! ;-)

Google Geo Tool is still a bit patchy and apart from that, to take this option would completely disregard all the other Search Engines. The amount of visitor gains that you would see, would take much effort to achieve by other Optimisation methods.

I would not feel happy doing it for one of my Clients Web Sites.

Google Geo Tool is still a bit patchy and apart from that, to take this option would completely disregard all the other Search Engines. The amount of visitor gains that you would see, would take much effort to achieve by other Optimisation methods.

I would not feel happy doing it for one of my Clients Web Sites.

Google has 905 share of the Uk market, so one has to take that into consideration here.

That aside lets look at what search eninges use to rank a site.
1. domain name
2. ip physical location
3. content
4. bricks and mortar loacations
5. inbound links
6. outbound links

By having links from Uk only sites, you can be sure you can geo locate your own site properly. your content ccan make us of British English which will place you as a site for the Uk market. Your outbound links can be Uk only, your bricks and mortar can ensure you are a Uk site. Registering your site in the various add ons that the search engines provide will also geo locate you correctly.

Sorry OWG, I don't often disagree with you, but all this seems to be going a long way round justifying "Not Doing" what is after all a very simple Server Change. It's the right thing to do IMO.

It is the right thing to do if you HAVE to do it of course.

if he/she has made his mind up 1005, then I would setup an apache 301 redirect match, and live with the loss for a couple of months. Could go as smooth as a babies, bum, could go to ratshit. But after a couple of months all will be well

Hi all

Bit of a grey area for me... As time has gone by, I have started to learn and pick up things about seo and host server locations that I didnt know before and now I would like to clear up a little spell of confusion i'm having.

So.....12mths ago i brought two domain names (a .com & a .co.uk) and hosted the .com on a server located in the USA and parked the co.uk. My main audience is the UK so I've now wondered if I could/should instead host the .co.uk on the server to improve my google status in the UK or just move the .com to a UK server??! I guess, having the .co.uk hosted would be the better option but at what cost??!

I have a PR of 2 with the .com and have only established backlinks etc with the .com so wondered if I would lose this if I changed to the .co.uk. I don't all of a sudden want to dissappear off the face of earth/google by doing this. At the very least, I could do a redirect from the .com to the co.uk to prevent those use to typing in the .com but does this help my presence at all if I make the switch or will be like starting from scratch 12mths

I'd also welcome any advice or suggestions guys

Thanks in advance

Can you supply more information. Do you have important links(Like dmoz) to your .com that you can't change?

One improvement is to change the .com to geolocation UK in the Google webmaster tools, that will certainly make an improvement on the current setup. However it might not be the best as you have two domains and it would be useful to both of them.
What sort of content do they have? Do they have lots of pages? You could have duplicate content issues and getting the new pages listed as you suddenly move your .com content to you .co.uk.
So you have to think about redirect, URL removal, temporary lost of SERPS etc. Not straight forward if a big site. Can you say the website address plaease.

I'd also seriously consider just moving the .com to a UK server.
If your in the UK the cost of UK hosting is better now(as $$ is worse exchange then before) and with the server in the UK you will most likely have faster surfing response to your customers. That will also improve your Google traffic as a side effect.

MI
Back