The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

What does it mean 'to fire a tracking pixel'?

Honeybadger

AffKit Ninja
Reading about trackers as some of my earning should be higher
Came to 'fire a tracking pixel'
There's no definition

Are you reading about conversion tracking pixel?

Firing a conversion tracking pixel happens when a page (i.e. a thank you page) runs it and sends a request to a tracker with information about a conversion.

Are you reading about conversion tracking pixel?

Firing a conversion tracking pixel happens when a page (i.e. a thank you page) runs it and sends a request to a tracker with information about a conversion.

Good now I understand
Is this legal in the US with all new rules?
Best to add 'we fire tracking pixels' disclaimer in terms of use?

It's always best to use S2S postback whenever possible as it's the more reliable method of tracking conversions out of the 2.
When it's not supported, I'd use conversion tracking pixel.

I'm not aware of any legal issues related to it so I don't think it's necessary to include it in T&C.

It's always best to use S2S postback whenever possible as it's the more reliable method of tracking conversions out of the 2.

I'm not aware of any legal issues related to it so I don't think it's necessary to include it in T&C.

Thanks very helpful info

In internet dinosaur times:
What is a 'pixel' ? LMAO well long ago it was a transparent gif image 1px x 1px. when the page opened the remotely hosted image would load from that page along with
a date:timestamp
The referring (requesting page) URL
the user's IP and os and browser User-agent

Move ahead to current times:
The request is in a JavaScript now and is made to a PHP (or other interpreter language) as an xhr request in AJAX.

The script server side gets the same info as an image would but also can geo-locate and database that user's location and the user's dwell time between subsequent pages.

By opening up a 'communication line with a browser 'cookie' you can request a response every 10 sec of just a few bites of data to see if that user is still on the website and has not exited --or has left.

This is apart from the simpler tracking of an ad load for an advertiser.

Facebook must use some of that geo-location information to help develop user demographics --on a probability basis --using a correlation of location to governmental census data that is publicly disclosed.

Reading about trackers as some of my earning should be higher
Came to 'fire a tracking pixel'
There's no definition
A fire tracking pixel is actually a piece of code that is been embedded in your website, or for a specific so that whenever a user or any activity happens on your site or page it will get activated and will further provide you data regarding the specific action by a user, actions can be subscription, purchasing, scrolling, how much time di they spent, or any other action related to your site, there are multiple pixels e.g, google fire pixel, FB pixel and more like that.

Is this legal in the US with all new rules?
Best to add 'we fire tracking pixels' disclaimer in terms of use?
Yes and in some cases no.
If you do not share or sell the data to/with some 3rd party without the consumer's consent there should be no problem <--**not legal advice --consult with your legal counsel.

Yes totally agree with this. Pixels are unreliable because they are based on cookies, which can easily be turned off or rejected by users. S2S or server to server postbacks are 100% reliable because it's two machines talking to each other over http. Always opt for networks that offer s2s postbacks over those still using pixels.

Yes totally agree with this. Pixels are unreliable because they are based on cookies
JavaScripting like a JS pixel can be helpful in detecting older bots that cannot execute JavaScript -- that is currently the majority from what I am seeing --that is an "off label use"

s2s post backs are server and not client initiated --therefore; s2s is usually 100% accurate.

MI
Back