The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Using Paypal

JBEnterprises

When offering download ebooks using paypal is it better to redirect the buyer to a thankyou page then offer the download url or use the download url as the redirect ?

When offering download ebooks using paypal is it better to redirect the buyer to a thankyou page then offer the download url or use the download url as the redirect ?

Depends. Will you be using an IPN script to manage the transactions, users, and download accounts? Or will everything be managed manually?

In the first case, whatever script you're using will most likely handle getting the download details to the customer without too much interaction from you. Some scripts will even spit out the necessary PayPal buy-now button code.

If you'll be handling all of it yourself, then you can have them redirected to the thank you page where they can download the information, but it may be wise to redirect them to a squeeze page so you can get them on your list. Also, if you do redirect them to the thank you page, make sure that you encrypt the PP button code, otherwise, someone could just view your source and get the download page info.

Hope that helps,
~ Teli

Oh, just read your question again and I think I understand what you're asking.

Is it better to send them to thankyou.html (i.e. a static thank you page) rather than filename.pdf (i.e. the actual product that they'll download)? Is that your question?

If so, definitely send them to a thank you page instead of the straight product download. The product download may be something unexpected. On the thank you page, you can tell the visitors what requirements they need to access/use the product and how to get in touch with you if there's a problem.

~ Teli

If so, definitely send them to a thank you page instead of the straight product download.

I'm with Teli -- this way, too if you get into AdWords you can track how many hit your thank you page from your ads. it's easier to track in other ways, too plus just IMHO, it looks more professional...everyone likes a kind thank you! :)

MI
Back