The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Unmanaged VPS on Digital Ocean with filezilla

evik

affiliate
Is it really possible??
Bought a VPS from digital Ocean for 5$/mo, I guess that price means Unmanaged.
All I'm trying to do is just to connect to my VPS server with filezilla so I can simply drag & drop few landing pages to it. How hard can it be?? :( did I jump into a pool that is too big for a complete newbie?

This is what I get:

Response: fzSftp started, protocol_version=5
Command: open "username@IP Address" 22
Command: Trust new Hostkey: Once
Command: Pass: ****************
Error: Received unexpected end-of-file from SFTP server
Error: Could not connect to server

GOT IT! FFufff:confused:.. that was hard to figure out alone... so this is how it goes on mac.
Assuming you've already created a Droplet in Digital ocean.You've been given an IP address, username and a temporary password in your mail.

First you got to go to Terminal, and follow this guide:
How To Connect To Your Droplet with SSH | DigitalOcean

There's also this video to explain a part of the process.

After that you open Filezilla and enter the IP address, Username and the new password you created. Got to make sure you type 22 in the port section for secure ftp (sftp).

After that there's some Terminal drama
Generally you have to log in to your server thru the terminal with this command:
ssh username@domain_name

And then install "sudo" with these two commands
apt-get update - ENTER
apt-get install sudo - ENTER

Then install Apache2 with this command:
sudo aptitude install apache2 apache2-doc

Then connect to the server with filezilla and put your landing pages in a specific directory path: var/www/html

Have to make sure to delete that exact part (var/www/html) from the link after making it.

That was it!
Thank you guys, see ya;)

Last edited:
It is always the easiest way that you can do file transfers from and to your server. In fact it is straight forward activity. One thing I do think that you have not done well is the credentials. When you have wrong usernames, passwords and port numbers, then you will face a lot of error in getting a connection. Be sure to go through the email with the credentials just to know whether you have correct ones. You can also tag me a long when you continues experiencing the problems.

Have you thought about installing something like cPanel to help you manage the server? It'll make things a lot easier for you as, it'll automatically create FTP/email/SQL accounts. It's a lot easier than going into command line and creating users, then editing config files as necessary. It's $15 a month so it's a bit expensive compared to the server, but I completely recommend it.

I would actually recommend learning a bit of linux command line, it's quite useful and not so super hard to set up in order to get a working installation, sure if you want 100% optimization it's going to be require quite a lot of time learning and setting things up. But if you really want to get set up and started ASAP then cPanel can be quite nice.

That's awesome that not only did you figure it out, but you came back and posted the solution. Thank you. That's what "community" is all about!

Great stuff! you learned quickly. Still far to go though. That bunch of commands creates an environment for HTML pages, you'll need more stuff like php, mysql and some security as you go forward. I happen to offer a service to get the all setup on DigitalOcean for a one time fee.

banners
Back