The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

One Last Attempt At Affiliate Marketing

You should remove from your head the sentence: "GIVING UP"!

Why would you? Even if it takes years to make a steady, monthly income, it is worth the time. It is the futur!
Be your own boss and work from anywhere in the world and be pretty big without having a single employee! Well at least before thinking about getting some.
I hear ya! I'm definitely planning on making this work, and I feel like I'm doing it right this time around.

Thanks for the post.

Day 7 of me following Charles Ngo's Ultimate Guide to Affiliate Marketing

Today I read the chapter on "Angles". This is how you approach the campaign, and it sounds like it's ridiculously important when it comes to setting yourself apart from other affiliates.

Unfortunately, there isn't a nice easy formula to follow to come up with angles. These are some tips that resonated with me:
  • put yourself in the customers shoes
  • research forums and blogs they are in
  • get inspiration from what other affiliates are doing
  • use the "Life Force 8"
  • use the "Familiarity Principle", think news events, holidays, seasons
  • answer the question, "Why would I click on this ad?"
Action (homework): come up with 5 different angles for an offer.

Unfortunately, there isn't a nice easy formula to follow to come up with angles.

In fact, there is - let me show you what I do when I think a market appeals to me that I want to generate some leads in.

I simply look at around 4 competitor sites/ads and write down all the angles, USPs (unique selling points), bullet points and phrases that sound catchy. If there is one thing I learned it's this: DON'T try and reinvent the wheel. Try to improve the existing one to gain a competitive edge.

There's no need to start from scratch and all these competitors have already spent a lot of money on research, trial and error when it comes to their landing pages and ad copy. All you need to do is take the best bits from each, add your own little magic touches and you have a winning foundation.

Fun fact: That's how the Roman Empire conquered the world. They took the best strategies, weapons, technology and ideas from around the world and incorporated them into their own civilisation. Still works today ;)

Now go crush 'em!
Nick

If there is one thing I learned it's this: DON'T try and reinvent the wheel. Try to improve the existing one to gain a competitive edge.

This! Did Apple invent the MP3 player? No. But they certainly improved the concept. Mobile phone? Again no.

Some advice I read recently was don't try and get into a niche where there is no competition. It may mean that there is no need for the product/service you are going for. Try and find one that has at least some competition, and do what they're doing, but do it better.

Some advice I read recently was don't try and get into a niche where there is no competition. It may mean that there is no need for the product/service you are going for. Try and find one that has at least some competition, and do what they're doing, but do it better.

Someone else who finally "get's it" - love it CBSnooper! ;)

I've been doing this for years as well. I would never go into a market with no competition - why? Because there's no demand. If there's competition, there's money to be made ;)

Nick

You just need to find an angle that will be your sweet spot. Either with a unique proposal or marketing angle or both.

don't give up yet. Especially as you have a steady income to do tests with.

I would do well if I could program. I am in the other boat. I am doing OK with affiliate but I would do better if I could make apps.

Thanks for all the awesome responses! I like that you are all on the same page. It makes nothing but good sense to avoid re-inventing the wheel. I'm anxious to get at it and see what I can do.

There should never be a last attempt at it, never give up! Yeah I have that guide too, I've been following charles about 2 months now and I actually met him in Bangkok at his private party with Advidi. Never give up man, never stop trying. I've been doing FB all year but due to the inconsistency I've moved over to pops, well, to give that a shot. But theres still more sources I'd like to try before I settle on mastering something. Took me months to hit 4 figure days with FB on my own, saved up quite a bit and got sick of the bans, setbacks and going back to square 1 etc.
Goodluck with your journey. If you want, pm me and we can skype for back & forth tips/advice now and then. Not got many people who are doing the same as me on there, or are in the same position. Ofc someone who is earning consistently wouldn't want a newbie haha but as we are starting we can progress faster
Hi, I'm also a newbie and just joined this forum, I read your thread about your journey... really nice man, I got Charles training and I've read all his books, we are doing something similar as I am working with Mobidea right now, focusing on sweepstakes, its been really tough and I got 4 leads, I would like to network you guy like you so we could all share and grow together. You can add me on Skype, Vireeee. Looking foward to making it rain eventually.

Hi, I'm also a newbie and just joined this forum, I read your thread about your journey... really nice man, I got Charles training and I've read all his books, we are doing something similar as I am working with Mobidea right now, focusing on sweepstakes, its been really tough and I got 4 leads, I would like to network you guy like you so we could all share and grow together. You can add me on Skype, Vireeee. Looking foward to making it rain eventually.

Thanks for the post, and the invite. Right now though, I'm still just working my way through Charles Ngo's course. I haven't even got my feet wet yet. :O

It's been many days since I posted "Day 7"! This move to Mexico, along with a rush on a huge project in my current job, has kept me insanely busy! Unfortunately, the work I've been doing in my current job has been pretty mind numbing and crappy lately. In a way, its a kind of incentive for me to work hard at internet marketing so I can one day, hopefully, replace this job.

On the other hand though, since I haven't actually been working at internet marking this past week or so, my mind has been mulling over all that I've read. In particular, I've been focusing on all the hard work and skill that is required. It's pretty daunting. Especially when it seems that the majority of internet marketers truly struggle to reach work-replacing success.

I plan on doing "Day 7" today, which is Landing Pages. I need to get back at it so I can keep my motivation and momentum goingg

Day 7 of me following Charles Ngo's Ultimate Guide to Affiliate Marketing

Today I read the chapter on "Angles". This is how you approach the campaign, and it sounds like it's ridiculously important when it comes to setting yourself apart from other affiliates.

Unfortunately, there isn't a nice easy formula to follow to come up with angles. These are some tips that resonated with me:
  • put yourself in the customers shoes
  • research forums and blogs they are in
  • get inspiration from what other affiliates are doing
  • use the "Life Force 8"
  • use the "Familiarity Principle", think news events, holidays, seasons
  • answer the question, "Why would I click on this ad?"
Check the demographic, either is male or female, child or adult, and then get up ideas of angles what these people wants.

Thanks for the post, and the invite. Right now though, I'm still just working my way through Charles Ngo's course. I haven't even got my feet wet yet. :O

Alright, no problem, when you do tho, I'll be happy to help out anyway I can, keep on with the course, he is very good... I understand the basics of everything, so I'm focused on joining a mastermind groups in order to learn from others and share our experiences.

Day 7

I just read the chapter on "landing pages", plus some linked material.

These seem to be pretty key to success! They're a simple, one-page website that goes between your ad and the actual offer page. They're meant to pre-sell the user before they get sent to the offer. Basically, they're the salesman between the user and the product or action page.

One question I have is where do we get the “social proof”? But, my biggest concern and question with these is creating them for non-English countries. They would have to be translated, but then, what would get lost in translation? What expressions and jargon in other languages? What about "social proof" in other languages? These are things I'll have to look into a hole lot more.

Key takeaways from what I read:
  • Super important for pre-selling (instead of just placing an offer in front of someone)
  • The page has to be lightning fast! (use static pages only, host images on CDNs)
  • “Social proof” is a must! (testimonials, reviews, trust seals, etc.)
  • Keep the copy simple - don't confuse the customer, just grab their attention quickly.
  • Spy tools can give you good insight into what's working.

I have heard that you need to have between $2K and $4K to setup and test campaigns. This includes tracking, spy tools, traffic, landers and hosting.

I was hoping that I could see some decent net profits with maybe around a $600 budget....thoughts on this?

I have heard that you need to have between $2K and $4K to setup and test campaigns. This includes tracking, spy tools, traffic, landers and hosting.

I was hoping that I could see some decent net profits with maybe around a $600 budget....thoughts on this?
I haven't actually heard those numbers, but I'm definitely getting that impression too. I also have the impression that you could spend that amount and still not make a profit, especially if your testing and optimisation skills aren't up for the task.

It is definitely a scary prospect. I haven't actually got into the process yet, so I have no idea how things will flow. But, I'm going to give it a try and do my absolute best. Hopefully with all the reading I'm doing, and will continue to do, I'll be able to make it work.

You're reading too much! What do you care about all these things, do you want to invent LPs and write copy from zero?! Talking about your first campaign what did you do until now? Do you know what vertical you want to run? Do you know what traffic source you want to run? In which country? ... You can read years about angles, life forces, social proof, how to write copy etc, it means almost nothing. Better go and read the follow alongs and guides here and see what vertical / traffic source you think you're interested in running and go to spy. You'll learn a lot more then reading books about copywriting because you just copy what everybody's running. Or do you think you can write and persuade the visitor better than people doing AM from years and years.

Choose a vertical, maybe one with low payouts if you don't want to "lose" to much money until you get it, choose few Tier 2-3 countries, get a spy tool or spy on a few sites, get few banners and LPs, see what offers are running, make the campaigns, low budgets, test the waters my friend. I'm doing affiliate marketing since 2005 and every time I start a campaign, these are the steps I take.

Please, the next post make it like:

Vertical: .........
Traffic Source: ............

and see what other says, maybe you'll get some help, offer ot traffic source sugestions...

You're reading too much! What do you care about all these things, do you want to invent LPs and write copy from zero?! Talking about your first campaign what did you do until now? Do you know what vertical you want to run? Do you know what traffic source you want to run? In which country? ... You can read years about angles, life forces, social proof, how to write copy etc, it means almost nothing. Better go and read the follow alongs and guides here and see what vertical / traffic source you think you're interested in running and go to spy. You'll learn a lot more then reading books about copywriting because you just copy what everybody's running. Or do you think you can write and persuade the visitor better than people doing AM from years and years.

Choose a vertical, maybe one with low payouts if you don't want to "lose" to much money until you get it, choose few Tier 2-3 countries, get a spy tool or spy on a few sites, get few banners and LPs, see what offers are running, make the campaigns, low budgets, test the waters my friend. I'm doing affiliate marketing since 2005 and every time I start a campaign, these are the steps I take.

Please, the next post make it like:

Vertical: .........
Traffic Source: ............

and see what other says, maybe you'll get some help, offer ot traffic source sugestions...
Thanks for your post Lorenzo. I hear what you're saying and I'm going to get at it very soon. :) Believe me when I say that I definitely don't think I "can write and persuade the visitor better than people doing AM from years and years". Quite the opposite, in fact. I know I'll be looking at what others are doing, and trying to improve on that, or trying to add a new twist to it.

Following and reading this course to the end is just part of the process I've chosen. I've also been reading tons of follow-alongs, I know, more reading :D But, I'm close to being done the course, and I'm talking with my affiliate manager to help me figure out the virtual and country I'm going to start in.

I'll get there!

I've exaggerated a little in my previous post for dramatic effect. It's ok to read, if not, I wouldn't be here. I read blogs and forums, but the money are not there but in doing. The ratio should be something like 5:1. For every 5 hours doing, 1 hour reading.

banners
Back