The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Newbie Monetization Questions

Ged

affiliate
Just moving this over from my introduction thread..
Was having a conversation about how best to montize a 3k organic traffic website aimed at University applicants (mainly 17-25 - note not university students)

You're right I have had a think about offering mobile deals, laptops and CCs etc. I tried to make a Amazon Affiliate post but it was for a low volume ~250/mo keyword and I made about $1 a month despite being in the top 3 results on the SERP.

I am a bit confused about how best to market things like Laptop and CC offers using my website and not PPC. Doing SEO for any of those related terms would be a gargantuan task.

I have software called Convertbox which is essentially pop up software that can collect emails, segment audience and do redirects to offers etc. Is this really the best way I can present offers aside from banners etc? Or should I build an offers section to my website and redirect students from my high traffic pages and to bypass the the competitive laptop/CC keywords?

Finally let me know if I should be asking all these questions elsewhere!

Many thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

Does anyone know if I am heading in the right direction or is there a more effective way of utilising my traffic. @Graybeard and @azgold have given me some product ideas, just looking to see if banners and email collection or direct offers/links are the best way to go?

banners and email collection

Yes to both. Build your subscriber list, so you can continue to market to them for years, assuming you provide mostly valuable, helpful content sprinkled with a little promotional email content sometimes.

Re banners, sure, absolutely you can add relevant banners. Use a tracking link, so you can view your data. If you test different banners/creatives, the data will let you know which ones convert the best. Also, you'll know where your traffic is coming from - SERPs or email, etc.

What is the site about? Enrollments, applications, testing, etc.?

How often do you add new unique content?

How do you obtain your organic traffic?

Organic traffic is difficult to target. Have you considered paid traffic?

Are you using any social channels?

What are your plans for scaling?

What offers are you providing on the site?

1. How often do you add new unique content?

2. How do you obtain your organic traffic?

3. Organic traffic is difficult to target. Have you considered paid traffic?

4. Are you using any social channels?

5. What are your plans for scaling?

6. What offers are you providing on the site?

1. New articles average around 1 every week or so - I admit this could be higher. I have just completed the mammoth task of creating a 150 page reference database of 'personal statement examples' (my site is mainly aimed at writing personal statements - the core of what is needed when applying to a UK uni)

2. Keyword research was initally aimed at low hanging fruit. In the last couple of months I have switched to competitor analysis for high volume and more competitive keywords whilst trying to get some backlinks built as well.

3. My product/service is proofreading of personal statements. This service is only required on the 15th of Jan and Oct each year. I did a trial run of $500 ads and got $1600 in revenue back in October. Finances unfortunately not available to run it this month. On reflection I should have put out my own offer on networks to generate sales but I was too fresh to this to think of it at the time.

4. I began these but fell behind due to other commitments. I have a twitter, FB and IG account but they have essentially become dormant.

5. I have found some very high volume KWs in my niche with low competition - essentially UK city/university guides which is just '[name] university' - I am going to write a guide for all unis and cities ~200 post mark.

6. I have just started so nothing specific. My first affiliate sites I signed up to were CPAlead and WOWTRK. I am currently running WOWTRK banners in my sidebar and have manually placed a weekly news magazine called 'The Week' in an article aimed at a slightly older audience.

Question: When doing some keyword research (using Keywords Everywhere) I found keywords with very high volume (>100K/mo) with apparently low competition. Keywords Everywhere for example gave 0.03 out of 1 for [uk online shop] discount code. Is is naive of me to try and rank on page one SERP for a irrelevant keyword like discount code or coupon?

I have found 'student discount code' KWs but the search volume is around 10x less @ 5-10k/mo.

Many thanks again for your help.

To actually answer your first question(!)

The site is aimed at university applicants and my products help with writing application essays, interview training and for medical applicants exam prep. These products can only really be sold for 2-3 months of the year hence my need to branch out to affiliate marketing.

I am trying to establish authority by creating the reference database of personal statement examples, followed by a guide to all the universities in the UK etc.

1. New articles average around 1 every week or so - I admit this could be higher. I have just completed the mammoth task of creating a 150 page reference database of 'personal statement examples' (my site is mainly aimed at writing personal statements - the core of what is needed when applying to a UK uni)

Ah, okay. This explains the limited organic traffic at present.

I highly recommend conversations, interviews, and personalized knowledge and experiences as a part o your content. Personalisation goes a very loooooooong ways in developing engagement.

I also recommend at least 10k words per week scattered over many short, medium, and long content topics. Remember to have rotating headlines on your homepage to attract engagement on new and older topics.

2. Keyword research was initally aimed at low hanging fruit. In the last couple of months I have switched to competitor analysis for high volume and more competitive keywords whilst trying to get some backlinks built as well.

These are good options, always be testing keywords. In traditional landing pages, keywords and SEO don't play a huge role as the SERPS identify those types of pages as funnels. However, with good, reliable, and engaging content sites with unique and quality content being added regularly, the SERPS will be attracted and reward you.

3. My product/service is proofreading of personal statements. This service is only required on the 15th of Jan and Oct each year. I did a trial run of $500 ads and got $1600 in revenue back in October. Finances unfortunately not available to run it this month. On reflection I should have put out my own offer on networks to generate sales but I was too fresh to this to think of it at the time.

So, I can't help but think there are more countries with similar needs for students. Have you researched this?

The more countries you can add to the site, maybe having a country selector on the top menu, you will add credibility and an international tone to your site. Something worth testing. If the model of a country selector doesn't engage well with visitors, at least you will have the options to add more sites for each new country you set up.

4. I began these but fell behind due to other commitments. I have a twitter, FB and IG account but they have essentially become dormant.

I am extremely convinced this segment of business (education related) must have a strong social foundation that funnels students to your site(s).

You can use some of the content from the site(s) as posts on the social channels, videos on some of them, to rally a high volume of engagement.

5. I have found some very high volume KWs in my niche with low competition - essentially UK city/university guides which is just '[name] university' - I am going to write a guide for all unis and cities ~200 post mark.

What do you hope to accomplish with a guide? What will the content provide?

6. I have just started so nothing specific. My first affiliate sites I signed up to were CPAlead and WOWTRK. I am currently running WOWTRK banners in my sidebar and have manually placed a weekly news magazine called 'The Week' in an article aimed at a slightly older audience.

Question: When doing some keyword research (using Keywords Everywhere) I found keywords with very high volume (>100K/mo) with apparently low competition. Keywords Everywhere for example gave 0.03 out of 1 for [uk online shop] discount code. Is is naive of me to try and rank on page one SERP for a irrelevant keyword like discount code or coupon?

I have found 'student discount code' KWs but the search volume is around 10x less @ 5-10k/mo.

Longtail keywords work best for introducing funnels to content sites by way of off topic but somewhat related topics and subject matters. It is kind of like people searching for dentists will have some visitors that would be interested in braces, teeth whitening, dentures, etc..

So, an offtopic keyword can be changed to a longtail keyword. for example, discount code, or coupon. Maybe try Educational Personal Statements Discount, or Coupon for Educational Personal Statement. You get the idea. You can turn high value keywords and low value but adjacent keywords into very viable longtail keywords.

Ah, okay. This explains the limited organic traffic at present.

I highly recommend conversations, interviews, and personalized knowledge and experiences as a part o your content. Personalisation goes a very loooooooong ways in developing engagement.

I also recommend at least 10k words per week scattered over many short, medium, and long content topics. Remember to have rotating headlines on your homepage to attract engagement on new and older topics.

These are good options, always be testing keywords. In traditional landing pages, keywords and SEO don't play a huge role as the SERPS identify those types of pages as funnels. However, with good, reliable, and engaging content sites with unique and quality content being added regularly, the SERPS will be attracted and reward you.

So, I can't help but think there are more countries with similar needs for students. Have you researched this?

The more countries you can add to the site, maybe having a country selector on the top menu, you will add credibility and an international tone to your site. Something worth testing. If the model of a country selector doesn't engage well with visitors, at least you will have the options to add more sites for each new country you set up.

I am extremely convinced this segment of business (education related) must have a strong social foundation that funnels students to your site(s).

You can use some of the content from the site(s) as posts on the social channels, videos on some of them, to rally a high volume of engagement.

What do you hope to accomplish with a guide? What will the content provide?

Longtail keywords work best for introducing funnels to content sites by way of off topic but somewhat related topics and subject matters. It is kind of like people searching for dentists will have some visitors that would be interested in braces, teeth whitening, dentures, etc..

So, an offtopic keyword can be changed to a longtail keyword. for example, discount code, or coupon. Maybe try Educational Personal Statements Discount, or Coupon for Educational Personal Statement. You get the idea. You can turn high value keywords and low value but adjacent keywords into very viable longtail keywords.

Well you're right I have to put more regular content out there. You've definitely encouraged me to write more per week so I get some better traction.

I have researched other countries - my main focus would be looking at international students who want to apply to the UK - mainly because they'll be paying much more money to attend than domestic students!

I think I need to hire a social media manager - I can do it myself but find it so time consuming and don't want to put out rushed work..

In terms of producing content I had a question. The City/University guides are bringing my competitors ~2k organic traffic per university! Seeing as there are 150 universities I would want to tap into this easy source, faster than writing 150 good articles.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan? I have other 'reference' style content to put out that generates high views whilst not being especially exciting content.

Since joining AffiliateFix I've now got some CPA offers running in banners and on exit pop up so I will see how things go.

Thanks for the support!

I've had a couple of students over the years, coming from other parts of the world to attend university here in Canada. They were forum members, so they felt comfortable reaching out to me.

The things they asked me about were:

- The weather in the area(s) of the schools they were considering
- If they had the right kind of clothing for the weather
- The type of people and culture. They were nervous, as they didn't know if (generally speaking) people would be mean and aggressive, or accepting and kind. Also, what the city was like and what kind of entertainment was available/what was there to do
- Anything else I thought they should know

They understandably were nervous about traveling thousands of miles to live for a while in a country that was completely foreign and strange to them.

I'm not sure if you want to create content as specific as what it's like to live in university x's location but thought I'd mention it, just in case it's useful.

I've had a couple of students over the years, coming from other parts of the world to attend university here in Canada. They were forum members, so they felt comfortable reaching out to me.

The things they asked me about were:

- The weather in the area(s) of the schools they were considering
- If they had the right kind of clothing for the weather
- The type of people and culture. They were nervous, as they didn't know if (generally speaking) people would be mean and aggressive, or accepting and kind. Also, what the city was like and what kind of entertainment was available/what was there to do
- Anything else I thought they should know

They understandably were nervous about traveling thousands of miles to live for a while in a country that was completely foreign and strange to them.

I'm not sure if you want to create content as specific as what it's like to live in university x's location but thought I'd mention it, just in case it's useful.

@azgold , I almost can't process how helpful you and @tjtutor are.

Yes you're exactly right - as well as the usual listing of number of students, subjects offered etc I want a complete guide talking about nightlife, shopping, accomodation prices etc. So instead of having to research each uni and city it can all be found in one place.

It will be a big undertaking but good to hear experience that this sort of information is useful to people.

I'm hoping I can then use this to reach out to universities to advertise on my site.

Forgive my naivety but when I see big institutions with set advertising on a banner or page (i.e. not google ads), so Harvard or Oxford uni holding ad space on a website - has the website owner likely grabbed this offer from a network or are they equally as likely to have reached out personally to the institution?

has the website owner likely grabbed this offer from a network or are they equally as likely to have reached out personally to the institution?

Could be either, I expect. I'm not sure if you'd see this in a regular affiliate network or not because I've not looked for educational offers. Re Harvard, Oxford, etc. I kind of doubt it. I think they only advertise themselves.

What you've maybe seen is a result of a blog/site that shows Google display ads, or some other big ad brand. They would get paid per 1,000 impressions by the ad company, rather than getting a commission. Also, I wonder if Harvard hopefuls wouldn't just go directly to the Harvard site? I don't know, that's just my thought.

I can suggest that if you don't find something in the Resources section, you can start a thread in the Business Centre with the Network Wanted prefix and outline what you're looking for. Then any networks that have something will post it in your thread.

Also, have you searched for, "affiliate networks that have education offers" in your browser. Or some similar term?

Could be either, I expect. I'm not sure if you'd see this in a regular affiliate network or not because I've not looked for educational offers. Re Harvard, Oxford, etc. I kind of doubt it. I think they only advertise themselves.

What you've maybe seen is a result of a blog/site that shows Google display ads, or some other big ad brand. They would get paid per 1,000 impressions by the ad company, rather than getting a commission. Also, I wonder if Harvard hopefuls wouldn't just go directly to the Harvard site? I don't know, that's just my thought.

Another reason why I need to get more organic traffic. I just assumed they were paid placements rather than Google Ads because they seemed permanently there..

I honestly don't know. I did a bit of poking around to try and find out but only spent a few minutes on it, didn't find any source of outside advertising.

I can suggest that if you don't find something in the Resources section, you can start a thread in the Business Centre with the Network Wanted prefix and outline what you're looking for. Then any networks that have something will post it in your thread.

Also, have you searched for, "affiliate networks that have education offers" in your browser. Or some similar term?

I have yes, and looked through some networks as well. There are plenty of educational offers but they are mainly aimed at a US audience. Although I have had one (Higher Grades Faster) suggested to me yesterday on AffiliateFix that I applied to and got accepted which is great.

Thanks for the heads up about Network Wanted I would have never thought of doing that.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan? I have other 'reference' style content to put out that generates high views whilst not being especially exciting content.

I am of the mind at all times that any and all content must be compelling to my target demographics and geos.

Is is naive of me to try and rank on page one SERP for a irrelevant keyword like discount code or coupon?

Qualified organic traffic. Nothing is worse than getting suckered into clicking a useless page in your search query SERPs. SEO or content that is not really relevant to the search intent --that's just generating numbers that are meaningless, or in the worst case scenario; making your website a *high-visibility* target for every other charlatan using a *SEO Tool*

>>>adjacent keywords into very viable longtail keywords.[/QUOTE] by viable -> it would be relevant with a good CR (conversion rate) and Customer LV.

What is your organic referral's EPC now?
3. My product/service is proofreading of personal statements. This service is only required on the 15th of Jan and Oct each year.
So 3000 referrals sells your service how many times and what is the metric? revenue, pre tax gross profit?
If you are not selling enough of your service --why is that?

I think 50 sales from 3,000 referrals would be baseline for a *service* (where there is intent of search query)

Qualified organic traffic. Nothing is worse than getting suckered into clicking a useless page in your search query SERPs. SEO or content that is not really relevant to the search intent --that's just generating numbers that are meaningless, or in the worst case scenario; making your website a *high-visibility* target for every other charlatan using a *SEO Tool*

>>>adjacent keywords into very viable longtail keywords.
by viable -> it would be relevant with a good CR (conversion rate) and Customer LV.

What is your organic referral's EPC now?

So 3000 referrals sells your service how many times and what is the metric? revenue, pre tax gross profit?
If you are not selling enough of your service --why is that?

I think 50 sales from 3,000 referrals would be baseline for a *service* (where there is intent of search query)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply - just to clarify I meant 'irrelvant' as in not connected to my services directly. So the SERP title would be 'student discount codes' which would lead to a page on my website containing CPA or CPS discount codes and offers etc.

So the user would get the page they are expecting and the 'link' between high volume terms and my website is simply me adding 'student' to whichever keyword it is. To say it in plain english - 20k/mo search for 'personal statement' but >200k/mo are searching for student deals and discounts - I want to tap into that market. This will detract from making content specific to my product but I was hoping the lower competition keywords could bring in some initial earnings. Could my university website not have space for a student finance/deals section?

That being said my site needs good quality content - I have around 50 articles bringing in 3k/mo organinc referrals. In the past 2-3 weeks since I started affiliate offers I have had 1,500 views, 3 clicks and no conversions. So EPC is 0!

I used PPC to sell my service in October - brought in ~400 people for £300 and made £1,600 sales.

I will take on board that I need to concentrate on more relevant traffic to what I am selling. I think in the beginning I was trying to look for low competition traffic just to get some through the door.

I used PPC to sell my service in October - brought in ~400 people for £300 and made £1,600 sales.
1600/400 = 4.00 <revenue
(1600-300)/400 = 3.25 <<Ad ROI
((1600-300)-( other expensed costs|COGS))/400 = pre-tax income per click (SEM only)

EPC is a fuzzy number the way I see it used usually
Your raw numbers look good --scaling them up is the problem.

MI
Back