The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

More facts....

Alexandru Ungur

affiliate
Yet another security test... that says, no surprise, Linux rocks on security part. :)
source:
linuxinsider.com/story/news/39742.html

--- copy & paste ---
Linux Fights Off Hackers

Linux Relevant Products/Services from Sybase ASE Linux Express Edition – FREE systems are getting tougher for hackers to crack, security Relevant Products/Services from Verisign -- Free E-Commerce Start-up Kit experts have reported today.

A study by not-for-profit IT security testing organization Honeynet Project has shown that, on average, Linux systems today take three months to fall prey to hackers, up from 72 hours in equivalent tests conducted between 2001 and 2002.
Tougher Walls

The 2004 results came after a team of researchers set up 19 Linux and four Solaris "honeypots" in eight countries including the UK. Honeypots are unpatched Internet-connected computers designed to be targets for hackers.

"Default installations of Linux distributions are getting harder to compromise," said the report.

"New versions are more secure by default, with fewer services automatically enabled, privileged separation in services such as OpenSSH, host-based firewalls filtering inbound connections, stack protection for common threats and other security mechanisms."

Beating Windows

During the tests only four Linux honeypots were compromised (three running Red Hat (Nasdaq: RHAT) Latest News about Red Hat 7.3 and one with Red Hat 9). Two of those systems were broken by brute force password attacks rather than by operating system vulnerabilities.

By contrast unpatched Windows systems exposed in a similar way in tests last year by Symantec (Nasdaq: SYMC) Latest News about Symantec lasted a few hours, or in some cases minutes.

But there was bad news for Solaris users, with three out of the four honeypots running Solaris 8 or 9 hacked within three weeks. However, a fourth has been online for six months without being compromised.

Here's how much I care about Linux:

Operating Systems 1-12-2005 through 1-19-2005

Windows XP 38,890 77%
Windows 98 5,752 11%
Windows ME 2,772 5%
Windows 2000 2,545 5%
Mac OS (Power PC) 281 1%
Windows 95 144 0%
Windows NT 113 0%
Windows 2003 23 0%
laugh_saddam.gif
Linux 21 0%

And your point is... ?
Just because you don't care means nothing to me. Except maybe the fact that you speak about something you don't know, and you do it quite constantly for something you don't care about.
Do you always invest time in things you don't care about... ? :)

LINUX STATISTICS:

Paul: 0%
Alex: 100%
--------------
Bottom line: so what?
There's a world outside of our browsers/desktops/whatever.
And there are choices, where before there was only monoply.
I am glad for it and you are not.
Tough!
Deal with it!

:armada40:
Linux or die!!
:)

I must admit the figures posted by Paul_KY do tend to mirror mine, so TBH I have the same views he does regarding this - sorry :roll:

Tigger said:
I must admit the figures posted by Paul_KY do tend to mirror mine, so TBH I have the same views he does regarding this - sorry :roll:

And your point is...? besides mirroring...
And Paul, with all due respect, you are lieing.
Paul writes on a Linux forum, hosted on an Apache web server installed on a Linux server saying Linux in his life is 0%. Maybe if you stop using the Internet... then Linux will have 0% implications on you. BTW, on what servers are your sites hosted on? Can I bet they are hosted on Linux? :)

Anyway, this is a Linux forum, for you Tigger, for Paul, and all 0% Linux people, you might not have noticed, but there's a Windows forum too... go play there.

BTW, don't watch TV when they show something from NASA... they use Linux too. and don't use Google... they use Linux too... and don't go to Microsoft.com... they use Linux too :) That is if you want to remain Linux virgins for the rest of your life.... otherwise you could get contaminated with this deadly disease called Open Source...

0%....

please post when you're sober people....

0%...

:)

BTW, I hope you're NOT driving a Mercedes....
:) guess what?
THEY USE LINUX TOO!

Have a nice 0% life!

Here's how much I care about Linux:

Operating Systems 1-12-2005 through 1-19-2005

Windows XP 38,890 77%
Windows 98 5,752 11%
Windows ME 2,772 5%
Windows 2000 2,545 5%
Mac OS (Power PC) 281 1%
Windows 95 144 0%
Windows NT 113 0%
Windows 2003 23 0%
laugh_saddam.gif
Linux 21 0%

>Anyway, this is a Linux forum, for you Tigger, for Paul, and all 0% Linux people, you might not have noticed, but there's a Windows forum too... go play there.

what a friendly place this is

Tigger said:
>Anyway, this is a Linux forum, for you Tigger, for Paul, and all 0% Linux people, you might not have noticed, but there's a Windows forum too... go play there.

what a friendly place this is

It will be, once you get used to it :)

Well, let's kick it up a notch...

Here's how much I care about Firefox:

Browsers 1-18-2005 through 1-24-2005

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 49,169 90%
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 2,504 5%
laugh_saddam.gif
Firefox 1 835 2%
Netscape Navigator 7 690 1%

And agian, here's how much I care about Linux:

Operating Systems 1-18-2005 through 1-24-2005

Windows XP 41,163 76%
Windows 98 6,435 12%
Windows ME 3,222 6%
Windows 2000 2,737 5%
Mac OS (Power PC) 364 1%
Windows 95 148 0%
Windows NT 146 0%
laugh_saddam.gif
Linux 29 0%

This is both childish and pointless.
What are you trying to prove? The world definitely does not start, nor it ends with you, tigger, me or anybody else, be it a Windows or Linux user...

If you really like to pay more for lower quality, you won't see me trying to stop you... :)

Go Microsoft go! :) but go in Paul's direction, not mine... I'll keep my options... open.

:D

Linux is merely a pimple on Bill Gate's a**.

notworthy.gif
Keep bowing down to the Linux Gods, Alex. They love the free marketing you provide. And I'm sure they'll be glad to offer you shares of stock for your good deeds.

Why, Alex, you may be RICH!
mail.gif

Paul_KY said:

notworthy.gif
Keep bowing down to the Linux Gods, Alex. They love the free marketing you provide.

I actually own a Linux consulting and services company, so it's not quite so free marketing. Nevertheless I did "market" it just the same, from day 0... when I had no direct benefit.

Alexandru Ungur said:
Paul_KY said:

notworthy.gif
Keep bowing down to the Linux Gods, Alex. They love the free marketing you provide.

I actually own a Linux consulting and services company, so it's not quite so free marketing. Nevertheless I did "market" it just the same, from day 0... when I had no direct benefit.

Well that explains your inability to be objective in any rational debate regarding MS or Linux. I understand now. :up2:

>What are you trying to prove? The world definitely does not start, nor it ends with you, tigger, me or anybody else, be it a Windows or Linux user

Jesus bud you need to lay off the coffee and chill a bit I thought this was supposed to be a general discussion on the operating systems being used not an attack on another webmaster

banners
Back