The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Is there ever a time for promoted posts?

bruce bates

Affiliate Manager
Affiliate Manager
Affiliate Payday
In general most forms of marketing have their time and place even if its not always obvious to the masses, but when it comes to promoted posts, I just have never figured out why they exist.

Who do promoted posts benefit? Is there ever a time to use them over standard facebook advertising?

• The company photo posting website had a contest with a 100euro prize everyday.
  • I tried posting some of the winning pics and said *you can play* for the 100euro/day prize too. <FB promoted posts were very cheap ads.
  • I spent $100 to test.
  • The objective was building qualified traffic for the contests and to establish a traffic arbitrage position.
  • The promoted posts were marginally beneficial but we didn't do enough to establish the concept and establish metrics as proof of usefulness .
2/2 added*
One of my thoughts was to get people to like the photos and mention the posts in their feeds -- it was a 'brand awareness' objective also. The world didn't need another Pinterest clone -- the website was subsequently abandoned after a few years. </end>

Last edited:
In general most forms of marketing have their time and place even if its not always obvious to the masses, but when it comes to promoted posts, I just have never figured out why they exist.

Who do promoted posts benefit? Is there ever a time to use them over standard facebook advertising?
First of all it depends on the marketing platform and then your audience, you need to know when your audience is mostly active.

First of all it depends on the marketing platform and then your audience, you need to know when your audience is mostly active.

How do promoted posts help determine when the audience is most active vs getting that info directly from face ads. That's kind of what I am asking. If one is going to advertise on Facebook how are promoted posts going to offer them information they wouldn't get from facebook ads seeing as with facebook ads they will get much greater fine tuning.

I do not know why you would ask this but this is how it works. When your post is promoted it means that more people are going to see it than it would have been if it had not been promoted. facebook knows how to target particular audiences so you do not have to do the work. The moment someone comes back to facebook, your post is the first to be seen.

I do not know why you would ask this but this is how it works. When your post is promoted it means that more people are going to see it than it would have been if it had not been promoted. facebook knows how to target particular audiences so you do not have to do the work. The moment someone comes back to facebook, your post is the first to be seen.

I dont think you understood. One has two options, go through google ads interface where you can fine tun your audience when promoting a post, or use "boosted post" where you have a couple options but mostly let facebook target for you..... why would anyone not go through the ads platform.

With Boosted Posts, your ad reaches one audience at a time.
Then, you can easily pause the ads that don't perform after the ad has optimized (give it at least 2-3 days, or after 2,000 people reached).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you are a aiifiliate then you need as many people as possible to see your link. If you post somethinfg then you can add your link to it sothat you can attrat more people. It genearlly improves your chances of attracting more people. A promoted post is necessary if you have few folowers. Facebook knows what its audience likes and will present your post only to those that desrve it.

When I experimented with promoted posts I was able to use Geo-targeting --that was 7 years ago maybe so that may have changed.
Be nice if they have added more targeting (IDK? If they have).
Another benefit I noticed my 'page' got more real likes --that may help later down the road ...

Bruce makes an interesting point --you could test phrases of ad copy with a Facebook audience very inexpensively.

MI
Back