The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Is it REALLY possible to make a living off Aff Marketing?

Affmanrocket

affiliate
As you will see by my intro, I lost my entire lifes savings in the GFC.

I am now having health issues in my mid life and not sure I can make it back to IT Project Management.

I see these people on Youtube all making claims that you can make $100k a year, some even much more.

Is this REAL? I dont have the time left in life to chase fools gold. So need a heads up.

If it is real what I do have is a BSC, 25 years in IT from coding, to Business Analyst, Technical Writer then Systems Analyst, following on with Project Management. Mostly in Web Systems and Applications along with more basic systems like Intranets via SharePoint etc.

So I know design and I know how to write, I know how design good sites and I am able to link web sites with more powerful apps voa CGI's etc and DBs (Oracle).

I studied a paper in Marketing at Uni a long time before the net was main stream and even when it arrived nobody really trusted its reach. Look at us now with more and more people getting their TV and News via the web :).

So I think I have some core skills, along with the 200 hours Ive invested in studying Aff Marketing while Ive been ill, that is mostly via youtube, Lynda.com and blogs. So I love this websites wiki a lot too.

But I spent a long time learning Poker systems only to find out really, the guys on TV who say they are successful at Poker online are either full off... or are playing high stakes where you can apply good strategy, or are simply sponsored. The low end has so many people "gambling" now, that variance makes low end poker not viable imo. I found day trading to be more reliable on knowledge and that too is hard to truely say it is skill when Volatility is what creates the ups and downs and most only talk about their ups.

1. So, is this really still possible to make a living from?
  2. Can you please give me some examples of people not trying to sell me something that have made money from Aff Marketing? (for inspiration and validity of this working)

I sure hope its real as I love it, Im passionate, I can sell products I believe in.

My fav Aff Marketer: Gear Patrol

That is the kind of thing, if this is real, that I would like to do end to end given my skill set.

Thank you in advance :)

GFC =(Global Financial Crisis) Well, we call that the "great recession of 2008" So I guess I can refer to that as GR2008 as we, like you, use buzz words. I wasn't leveraged and had cash-on-hand. One man's loss is another man's gain. I don't think it's exactly a zero-sum game -- but if you were over extended you were up shit's creek ...

Probably 1% or maybe 2% of all affiliates will make over $100K selling another's product that has no transparency of conversion and transaction payment.

Well, without seeing the real books and tax returns -- take it all with a grain of salt ... Give me a bank reference :p
I was born a cynic and it has saved my ass more than once ;)
If it is real what I do have is a BSC, 25 years in IT from coding, to Business Analyst, Technical Writer then Systems Analyst, following on with Project Management. Mostly in Web Systems and Applications along with more basic systems like Intranets via SharePoint etc.

So I know design and I know how to write, I know how design good sites and I am able to link web sites with more powerful apps voa CGI's etc and DBs (Oracle).
Why can't you find a position in the IT industry? Your many years of experience should be worth something over $100K or is it an age thing? At any rate ... there are lots of IT opportunities related to this business ...

WELCOME ABOARD ...
thumbsup.png

━━━●──────────────

Why can't you find a position in the IT industry? Your many years of experience should be worth something over $100K or is it an age thing? At any rate ... there are lots of IT opportunities related to this business ...

WELCOME ABOARD ...
thumbsup.png

━━━●──────────────
Thanks. Its officially named that outside of the US, I wasn't aware the US doesn't call it global financial crisis.

You had cash under the mattress literal? I had no say in what happened to my money. It wasn't an investment gone sour, it was what many refer to as cash, which isn't cash if it is in a Bank. I do have a very limited amount in Super, which is like a 401k, but not enough to retire on.

Yes I am cynical by nature too, hence my question. I do know a friend in Germany who is going "Ok" with her beauty niche just with Amazon associates and Blogging. But nowhere near $100k.

I was on well over double that when working. I could get a job, in fact 10 years on, I still get offers from people who know me, but not that I am ill, for work. I have MS like I said. So working in a highly stressful, well to be honest, any job, just wouldn't work due to the symptoms of the disease. I need something I can work around.

My ex who Im considering being connected with again has a job where she does what she loves, gets to work outside with wildlife up to a week at a time (even though her role is technically meant to be office based), work from home 2days a week (which I use to do myself but not that often) and gets paid reasonably well. But she had 2 doctorates and puts in more time at her role than anybody else in the team, so she deserves it.

Anyway, thanks, its good someone was up front about earnings potential. It doesnt sound like the work required matches the income earned.

Hello and welcome to AffiliateFix!

You have a ton of knowledge and experience that can help you in this industry. Most don't know how to do those things, myself included. So, you have that going for you.

As @Graybeard said, six and seven (or more) figure affiliates are not the norm but there are some. You stand as good a chance as anyone else with your level of experience, of being the next one. You won't know if you don't try. Study, learn, take action, take any necessary corrective action. But 100K won't happen overnight.

I have MS

I understand you not being able to accept job offers. One of my sisters has MS and she has reached that point, as well. It would be great if you can start making an income by working only when you feel up to it. If you can get things set up so that you're earning passive income, you'd probably find that helpful, too. Then you'd have some money coming in even when you're not feeling well enough to run campaigns.

Can you please give me some examples of people not trying to sell me something that have made money from Aff Marketing? (for inspiration and validity of this working)

You can do a browser search using the term, "Six figure affiliate marketer" or "Seven figure affiliate marketer." Ignore the programs people are trying to sell, just read the blogs or sites, see what they have to say.

Above all, do not buy any programs, at least not right now. Get the basics down, read some of the Success stories and anytime you have a question or need help, just start a thread in the appropriate forum and someone will respond. You can also start an online journey, so other members can help you as you go.

If you decide not to take the affiliate leap, you can probably sell your skills to paying clients, help them develop their sites and only take the jobs want and feel up to doing.

I think the effort /reward criterion depends on what you are doing and how you are doing it. I did one affiliate project with low to mid 5 figure income for over 10 years made my coding and marketing work worth over $400/hr. Again that's part time -- I don't give a shit money ;) <<<exception rather than the rule however.

Create an affiliate program using blockchain and REAL money that is transparent to all parties. I could get behind that idea. And you could raise some serious VC money or Mini -IPO money here in the US ...

Hello and welcome to AffiliateFix!
You have a ton of knowledge and experience that can help you in this industry. Most don't know how to do those things, myself included. So, you have that going for you.
Thanks AZ, and for your kind words. I needed that after the sinking feeling from Beards being critically honest which I wanted. ie "this is a scam". But perhaps not, perhaps some people expect to make money just by spamming program links, Im not sure yet.

I have been thinking about how to use my skills in a freelance market, Im just not sure which one or ones of my skills to promote.

I wish I had done construction project management major at Uni not BSC Comp Science as people made a LOT of money in construction and PM work is really quite easy as long as you don't mind being the unliked person, you cannot be the office person people like when you are constantly demanding they finish a piece of work on time, construction being very masculine I imagine more so.

So when we talk 6 and 7 figures. What about mid 5 figures, like $50k? If Im not putting out 80 hours work a week I can live with that (keep in my US dollar is a lot stronger than AU).

What I have picked up is people expect to drop direct program/network links and make money? I find that rather arrogant. End users will just buy direct.

If however I put some effort into explaining the pros and cons via a blog, I collect an email database and dont hard sell every email, I imagine people will more likely have trust that I am real and see value in what I do and feel confident to buy based on this.

Paying for programs? Ouch, no I'm not paying to be able to make other people money, that should not be allowed.

Speaking of which, Gear Patrol is my idol site. They run a very similar Niche to what I am considering. But I believe I should start smaller to start with ie Hunting and Adventure, but have a couple specific questions;

1. How does one get on a program that offers big ticket $ value items, like the GMC Sierra truck Gear Patrol just reviewed?
  2. How do you get sent items to review? And do you HAVE to physically review an item or is having an opinion on an item good enough for a blog? (I cant see how they have physically reviewed a lot of alternative cars they have linked to for example)
Those are my 2 biggest questions. I plan to do email, facebook, blog but also a webzine like Gear Patrol has.

Appreciate the help.

perhaps some people expect to make money just by spamming program links, Im not sure yet.

Some people try that. Don't be one of them.

Another side of that is direct linking to an offer. People try that, especially newbies. You can do that without being a spammer but you should use a tracking link in your advertising.

Affiliate marketing is a simple concept but not necessarily easy. You'll learn the most once you're ready to get started, through trial and error and asking questions. It IS work, despite what so-called gurus tell you.

I have been thinking about how to use my skills in a freelance market, Im just not sure which one or ones of my skills to promote.

Any or all of them. There are websites set up that you can list in, or set up a portfolio website and find clients on your own.

I wish I had done construction project management major at Uni not BSC Comp Science

Really? Your computer skills allow you to now create an income in a way that you can work around your symptoms. You certainly couldn't do that as a construction manager.

What about mid 5 figures, like $50k?

Same principal as making $5. It's a matter of testing, optimizing and scaling.

What I have picked up is people expect to drop direct program/network links and make money? I find that rather arrogant.

Yes, some. Some are lazy, some desperate, some just believe the auto-pilot, get rich quick stuff they've read.

If however I put some effort into explaining the pros and cons via a blog, I collect an email database and dont hard sell every email, I imagine people will more likely have trust that I am real and see value in what I do and feel confident to buy based on this.

You're talking about a review site. That can be a good business model. You're building assets that you can sell down the line, if you want to.

For the emails, you said it right. Provide content that helps or entertains your subscribers and every 'x' number of emails, promote something.

I'd suggest that you check out your competition. There are quite a number of review sites these days. If you have a niche with low competition, could be gold for you.

Paying for programs? Ouch, no I'm not paying to be able to make other people money, that should not be allowed.

Nope, don't want you to. However, don't say it shouldn't be allowed, as that is marketing, something you are embarking on. You sell something to someone. Hopefully, the information is honest and provides details that are most important to potential buyers. The MMO (make money online) vertical/niche is just one of MANY to promote. I wouldn't but some people still do and do it honestly. And then there are the spammers. You'll find that in anything online. Like I said before, just don't be one of them. Easy.

Gear Patrol is my idol site

Never heard of them but I'm going to look them up, you've piqued my interest. If that's what you want to be (online presence), it's good that you don't have to start from scratch. You can see the layout, content format and frequency, keywords, meta stuff, etc.

How does one get on a program that offers big ticket $ value items, like the GMC Sierra truck Gear Patrol just reviewed?

The link goes directly to the GMC site without any kind of referral or affiliate info in the link, so my guess is that they sold advertising space, rather than the vehicle, which makes more sense.

How do you get sent items to review? And do you HAVE to physically review an item or is having an opinion on an item good enough for a blog? (I cant see how they have physically reviewed a lot of alternative cars they have linked to for example)

These links answer those questions:
Who We Are
Content Marketing – Gear Patrol Studios

They are a marketing company and it seems that they play with the 'big boys' of brands.

I plan to do email, facebook, blog but also a webzine like Gear Patrol has.

Okay but if GP is your competition, you're going to have your work cut out for you. If I were you, I would at least think about your niche and how difficult it will be to get your site on the front page of the SERPS. Then make your decision about what you want to promote. I agree that higher priced items is ideal. You make as much money but with fewer sales.

Gear Patrol a damn WP Blog on a slow (probably virtual account server) ROFLMAO. IT purgatory! Sorry, I have been dealing with these hack CBD guys for the past 6 months -- same IT MO -- lack of e-comm IT (IMHO).

I live in the US and we may think a bit differently from people in 'oz but from my experience the business world in both countries thought processes are very similar. When it comes to computer parts or assembled electronics, e.g.; smartphones; Tom's Hardware, New Egg or Amazon's customer reviews is where I might go -- somewhere with mass market credibility, as in a large customer review pool.

Don't be the tiny fish swimming in the big ocean -- be a top feeder in a medium sized lake or river ...

This is what is meant by crushing it in a niche (terms commonly used here).

banners
Back