The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Is FB loyal to redirects?

viktor_sch

affiliate
Hi FB gurus,

I'd like to make my links more good looking so I'm looking into buying a domain and setting up redirects to my offers. Do you know if FB is OK to allow redirects? This gonna be 302 redirects.

Thanks

I will say that Facebook is a good tool to use in getting the redirect leads. The reason is because it has very many users and when you plan your work well, be rest assured that the results will be observed. It is just that people do not use the correct methods and at times they wont be able to achieve what is required and forever operate away from the laws and regulations.

Okay, I'm still not 100% sure but others have done it. Check YT for the how-to's.

From what I've read, FB will give you a message that they detect a redirect URL when you put it in. Again, YT has videos to show you how to deal with it.

According to Quora, FB doesn't allow it but if you put in the domain without redirection, wait until it's verified then you can go in and change it.

Is it against FB's TOS? Sounds like it to me.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possibl...the-Basic-Information-tab-for-a-Facebook-Page

According to FB's page for developers, when you direct an old site to a new one, their crawlers have to be able to still access the old (your main domain in this case) site, too. They tell you how here but it requires some know-how:

Facebook Crawler - Sharing - Documentation - Facebook for Developers

I think your safest bet is probably to send people to a splash page and collect their email addresses, or use a bridge page.

Last edited:
Appreciate such a detailed answer and thanks for additional research!
Looks like the best thing is to direct traffic to a external page.

Facebook isn't good for redirect or subdomain redirect traffic. Facebook don't like subdomain as well as a redirect. When any user clicks the link which redirected to another site Facebook warn that link and by this way you lost traffic.

Facebook isn't good for redirect or subdomain redirect traffic. Facebook don't like subdomain as well as a redirect. When any user clicks the link which redirected to another site Facebook warn that link and by this way you lost traffic.
Good point! Thanks a lot!

BTW, I've seen shortened links so many time in FB, shortened by Google and Youtube. They are all 302 redirects AFAIK. It seems FB generates no warning for them. Is this just due trusted domain or I can implement my own 302 redirect and it will be OK?
I'm not trying to change link or content later, I just need to make my URL more user friendly.

BTW, I've seen shortened links so many time in FB, shortened by Google and Youtube. They are all 302 redirects AFAIK. It seems FB generates no warning for them. Is this just due trusted domain or I can implement my own 302 redirect and it will be OK?
I'm not trying to change link or content later, I just need to make my URL more user friendly.

Doesn't FB have an internal shortener, like Twitter does?

Put in the long link and it automatically shortens it?

Doesn't FB have an internal shortener, like Twitter does?

Put in the long link and it automatically shortens it?
That's true. I could use even Google or any other shortener. Just thinking if my domain looks more friendly. Sometimes people shorten shit, you know, misleading stuff, I wanted to make links readable but still shortened like 'mydomain.com/relevantstuff' instead of 'yourdomain.com/stuff?k1=1&k2=2&kshit=shit'
Anyways, good point! I'll take that.

That's true. I could use even Google or any other shortener. Just thinking if my domain looks more friendly. Sometimes people shorten shit, you know, misleading stuff, I wanted to make links readable but still shortened like 'mydomain.com/relevantstuff' instead of 'yourdomain.com/stuff?k1=1&k2=2&kshit=shit'
Anyways, good point! I'll take that.

You are talking about tracking links, so yeah, you already know your options. I don't know how else to have to handle those, short of using Bevo (or something like) and grab the provided Bitly link.

You can still use a landing/squeeze page on your domain. So much easier and gives you the opportunity to direct link from there if you want to (user can click through if they're interested), or build a list.

If you go that route....

I'm wondering if something like the prettylinks or yourl plugins would solve your problem.

If your URL is to an internal page or post, you should be able to edit the slug, make it as short and say anything you want. That is, of course, assuming that you have a WP site on that domain. If I remember correctly, I think you can do that with Blogger, too.

...just realized that I'm leading you in a different direction...

Last edited:
banners
Back