The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

How Do You Know When Your Server Is Down?

captain47

affiliate
So my server just went down and it seems to be a major outage at HostGator. I was lucky to be online, I have paused my campaigns and redirected the rest to direct linking.

I already use the free version of Pingdom. What tools do you use to get instant updates on the status of your server?

How do you deal with this situation?

I think Pingdom offers such service where they email you if your server goes down.
You can check manually by using the ping command.

I think Pingdom offers such service where they email you if your server goes down.
You can check manually by using the ping command.

Yes they send out emails. And their premium services sent out text messages too. Wondering how do people deal with this when servers go down.

:)

I was using Tallyopia for a while, but then I discovered my WHM interface could notify me of downtime, successful backups, etc.

I was using Tallyopia for a while, but then I discovered my WHM interface could notify me of downtime, successful backups, etc.
Well if the server is down and your WHM is there how it will notify you? Or the WHM account is on different panel?

I think that when you set notifications in WHM for downtime it probably has a trigger set for interrupts on the Bluehost side. In other words the WHM is probably pinging the BlueHost servers and if the ping is not being received then a BlueHost notification goes out to check your CPanel or WHM services. Just guessing.

I actually use Pingdom. They monitor the server and sends me an email if it goes down.
1.gif

The best way to tell if your website is actually down, or if your issue is specific to your network, computer, or web browser, is to have someone that is connected to the internet from a different network attempt to visit your website. If no one is available, you can visit your website via a proxy server. Connecting to your website via a proxy website will simulate connecting from a network outside your own.

Here is a link to a popular free proxy site:
www.megaproxy.com

I had a custom program built that reads a page that I put on all my servers and then it looks for specific text that is at the end of the page. I fill the page with a ton of crap, so that the server has to be functioning properly for it to read VS a simple ping. If a server fails, I can optionally have it wait X minutes and retest, if it fails again or the first time (however I set it) then it sends me an email, text or both.

I actually use Monitis. You can create any kind of checks, you can measure and create charts of the server performance/any metric.

Also you can set up a wide range of alert channels from SMS, email, whatever.

MI
Back