The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Help Making my First Conversion

Hi Shoukei,

You can try promote a few products of the same niche. It is better that these products are related to each other. If you are promoting cooking ware, you can promote recipe as well.

3 weeks is still short in the business but it doesn't mean the longer you stay in the business the more you earn either.

What you need to do now is to get clear of the basics. What I did was get the niche, product and website and build my list. Be prepare that no one sign up for your list initially. You need to continue with what you are doing to draw traffic to your site.

Hope that help. :D

shoukei asked:

"I'll try to focus on one niche. Can I promote a few products of the same niche? Or do I focus on promoting only ONE product per niche first?"
Yes it's fine to promote related products or even the same type of products from different merchants as long as they are related to the niche. Just be sure you aren't offering so many things you confuse the visitor and they don't buy anything.

shoukei asked:
"I've been into affiliate marketing for at least 3 weeks already and I think all the conversion tricks are not working and I haven't earned anything. So, is it advisable if I leave all I've done so far aside and start with one new niche, one new product and one new website?"
It's important to realize that the time you've worked is irrelevant to some degree it's how much TARGETED traffic you've gotten and how many clicks.

On average it can take 1,000 clicks to get your 1st sale. After you learn the ropes it should me more like 100 - 200 clicks to make a sale. However depending on how targeted your traffic is and how good your ad placement is it could take 100,000 visitors to get your 1st 1,000 clicks.

SO THEREFORE some affiliates could make their 1st sale in 1 month, some affiliates it could take 3 months to get that much traffic.

So my strong guess is you probably haven't gotten enough traffic to even guess if you should give up on what you've already done.

How many many visitors and clicks have you gotten so far?

shoukei asked:
Domain name: h ttp://example.com/
Pre-sell page: h ttp://example.com/dogfood (this is just an example)

Is that appropriate for a pre-sell page? And you said its better to have 1 or 2 keywords in the domain name. Can the example above do?

h ttp://example.com/dogfood NO example.com is the domain name, /dogfood
is just the page name.

Ideally here is how you want to structure (however a million ways to do it, this is just a common and easy way to explain.)

If I were starting out and therefore was not real sure what products or offers I'd be running and did not wanted to be able to buy just 1 domain to save cost. I would very carefully research the niche.

Then I would get a domain name with the KW in the domain, but a name broad enough to cover other related topics.

Example if your 1st idea was dogfood and you got the domain bestdogfood.com that's so specific that if your dog food idea didn't work out you really could not use the domain for much else. HOWEVER if the broader niche you are interested in is DOGS, then you could get a domain like bestdogcareproducts.com Then you could have a page about dogfood at bestdogcareproducts.com/dogfood.html and focus on that to start, if that was your main niche idea.

But if dogfood didn't work or after you learn the ropes and want to expand, you could also branch out and have sections for dog toys, dog treats, dog illnesses and prescriptions, dog training with ebooks, etc. You would not just be limited to dog food.

Does that make sense?

That does make a lot of sense. I'm currently promoting betting systems and my domain just doesn't fit the products at all. I'm not into betting but I picked that niche because I was doing things according to the affiliate ebook guides that tried to convince me that some affiliates convert their products very well although they know nothing about them.

I'm thinking of starting over. Is that a good idea? By the way, can you fill me in on how to make a credible pre-sell/ landing page so that I can build my email list?

Oh if it's betting you're in, then yes, get out. It's way too competitive and filled not only with pro marketers but sharks. You can't even hope to compete.

"By the way, can you fill me in on how to make a credible pre-sell/ landing page so that I can build my email list?"

If you are talking a pre-sell page to build your list, sounds like you are working more on the ebook or info product side of things. I don't work on that side of things so wouldn't be much help.

I'll find something better for a niche then. Thanks for the advice.

Actually I thought the email list technique wasn't gonna work but I've heard a lot of affiliates, not just from the guide ebooks but also from this forum, say that it's a good thing to build an email list because that is where most of the earnings come from. It's ok if you can't help me with that but please let me know if there is someone who can help me with opt-in pages and email list making.

By the way, when will the Site Review Forum be accessible again?

Oh no. Of course not. I know gambling related site are prohibited. I'm currently finding a new niche which I can start over with.

Besides, the betting systems niche, I also promoted online downloading service for iphones, wii and stuff like that websites. Any comments about that niche for a newbie?

Thanks for the link to the review site.

"No the 1st step is finding your niche. Then check to make sure there are affiliate programs with products to sell that would appeal to that niche. Don't join any yet, just research."

According to the above quotation from a previous post by Linda, it looks like I can access the marketplace of affiliate programs without signing up. Does anyone know how to access Commission Junction's marketplace without signing up?

~ Shoukei ~

No sorry, what I meant is what I thought I said. Join CJ, but don't join any affiliate programs that are in CJ right away. Just use the CJ marketplace for research to start.

The reason I say that is a lot of programs won't approve you until you have a site and you need to do research to find a niche before you can build a site.

Hi Shoukei,

You do need a website for CJ.

I think your online download service can be a good niche. Few things you need to address:

1. How long it takes for the same person to come back and download something else? This is where your repeat sales come from.

2. How frequent the contents are updated so that there are new downloads for your visitors?

3. How much is per download and how much you earn per download?

4. Do you personally download the contents?

Hope that helps. :D

Hi Linda and mwong.

It's a pity I can't join CJ now because like mwong said, a website is required to join CJ.:( It looks like a great affiliate website. Are there any other websites that do not require a website to register? I think it is better to do marketplace research and then build a website when I've found a suitable product to promote.

Mwong, about the downloading service I'm promoting, it's actually about getting people to become a member of the downloading service. People only pay once for their membership registration and my commission will come from a percentage of the payment. There is no such thing as pay-per-download for the services I'm promoting. And I personally do not download the contents. If I were capable of affording these services, I won't be affiliate marketing. No doubt it sounds like a good niche, but I'm not sure how promote and get conversions out of it. So I'm leaving that niche aside for a new niche to start over.

Speaking of starting over with a new niche, I decided to follow my passion for a niche. I have a passion for animation, art and games. While doing research on it, I found that the keywords for this niche is either low in searches and low in competition or high in searches and high in competition. Besides, I'm still not sure if there are products or services out there related to this niche that I can promote and start a website with. Should I follow my passion or is this niche just not suitable? Comments, anyone?

~Shoukei~

Hi Shoukei,

Don't be despair. It will comes a time when you think is time to create your own website.

You can still go to Clickbank and Paydotcom to look for your product. Just that the products might be less then Clickbank. You can try another website Paydotclickbankalert.com. It is similar to Clickbank and Paydotcom. I never have the chance to try its product but you can see anything interest you. :)

There is nothing much I can tell you how to promote the download service because I don't know how it looks like. But anyway, just go back to that site later in your journey and maybe you will have some ideas to promote it.

Animation can be a good niche and you can sell poster and action figures to the same customers. Someone I graduated with made quite good money by just selling animation.

I search for animation affiliate program and found this site, you can have a look at it:

Best Anime Affiliate Programs

I am sorry that I can't comment on the affiliate programs in the site as I am having problem with my internet connection. Frustrated... :(

Anyway, you can search for "anime + affiliate" to look for affiliate programs about anime. By the way, you can use the same mehod to search for other affiliate programs of your interest. Just replace anime with the keyword of your interest.

You can also promote World of Warcraft guide or walkthrough in Clickbank since you are interested in game.

Wow, such long reply. I hope I didn't bore you.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, mwong.

I checked out the anime affiliate websites and found that the products are physical, or should I say not digital. It reminds me of another question about products. Which one sells better? Digital or non-digital products?

By the way, you said your friend sells animation. Is it like a sponsorship or something?

Try digital and physical.. whatever suits the niche.

As for getting a website up quickly, why not try a Blogger blog? :)

Blogger sound like a good idea, Longroad. By the way, if I have a blog for my website, do I need to update it often like everyday or twice a day? If yes, how can updating my blog help me with my marketing?

I agree with longroad. Physical and digital product both have their market. Some like to store anime in laptop and people like me like to have the anime in dvd.

You can be affiliate for the physical anime in the site I refered you to or you can be amazon affiliate for the unbox video download.

Like longroad said you should have fresh content for your blog because:

1. The information is not stale.

2. Your visitors will know that you are serious in that niche therefore increases your chance to get new opt-in.

3. You are making effort to establish contact with your visitors and they will know that.

4. You don't waste your visitors time.

5. Your visitors might refer friends or family to your blog and generate more traffic.

There might be more benefits of updating your blog regularly but these are all that I can think of.

By the way, let me share another of my marketing secret with you.

ALWAYS PUT YOURSELF IN OTHER SHOES.

Think about this scenario, you found a blog through search engine or article, the extract seems like what you are longing for and you think that finally your questions will be answered. But when you reach the blog, the content is actually outdated. How will you react?

Your visitors might act the same as you.

Oh, I see... I get your point, guys.

Mwong, I decided to sign up with rightstuf.com and animenation.com for their affiliate programs. And to go with that, I would set up a blog at Blogger. What should my blog be about so that the niche fits in it well and it can always be updated with new contents? And if I use a blog, is it possible to insert an autoresponder form somewhere that can be used to build an email list? Or it's not necessary for me to build an email list yet?

~ Shoukei ~

Good for you, shoukei. :)

the 1st thing you need to do is to get your blog name right. It is similar to how you should choose your domain name. It should be:

1. Short and easy to remember

2. Related to your niche

Probably you can review the anime episode, storyline, what you think should happen, screenshot of the episode, what new anime is coming up and more. You can read other anime blog for ideas. Just key "anime blog" or something like that in your search engine and you will get the blogs listed out.

If you want to have traffic to your blog, you can contact other bloggers and ask for link exchange.

Of course you can insert autoresponder form in your blogger blog. Go to add page element, select add html / java script and paste the script provided by your autoresponder service company.

Hope that helps. :D

banners
Back