The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Hello! New to marketing here

Delyte

affiliate
Hello everyone! Glad to be here, I'm very interested in learning to make some money through my own means.

Recently I finished my computer science education (USC) and I am fortunate enough to have some time where I can live off of my parents so that I have a chance to explore what I'm interested in. I'm really interested in non-traditional employment, where I can make my own money, work when I want to, do what interests me, and ultimately not be stuck at a certain salary that can only be increased by playing politics over the course of years. I like the idea of being able to use creativity and ingenuity to increase my earnings, as my talent wouldn't serve me well when I get paid the same regardless of my performance, assuming I'm performing well. Maybe that sounds a little arrogant, but this is a major construct of what has made traditional employment so unattractive to me, and I feel like internet marketing is a good fit for that, and is also a place where I can make good use of my technical background and abilities.

I actually wasn't sure what I wanted to do until very recently. I always knew earning money on the internet was possible, but it seemed like it was a lot of work for little returns, and I just had no idea of where to start. Every potential opportunity sounds like such a waste of time, never amounting to a real income. I was actually looking into what was possible to make with hacking, but was still a little uneasy about the idea. Eventually I happened upon a huge cache of guides that a friend shared with me recently. It was maybe a couple hundred PDFs of money making guides that have been sold on the internet over the years as "Learn to get rick quick for just $29.99!!!" types of adverts. Well people have amassed a collection, and I got ahold of it, and read a fair bit of them. After sorting the good from the bad, I realized that CPA type offers were far and away the most effective ways of making money. I saw a lot of what were labeled "Black Hat" CPA techniques as well, and I think there was some value in learning what was out there, but ultimately, the more research I did, the more legitimate marketing seemed like the best path, especially if I'm looking to make a sustainable living off of this.

The benefit to this PDF library was that I got a lot of methods delivered to me in a mostly succinct format, and explored the various complexities of various methods. The downsides are that many of the guides are from the mid to early 2000s and are outdated, and also a lot of them are unethical or unscalable, but nonetheless, the learning experience was interesting. So what I'm trying to do now is imbed myself into the internet marketing communities, meet some people, especially those willing to mentor me and answer my questions, and learn what methods are doable and what methods are outdated, and how best to develop my skills, where to start, etc.

I posted a thread with a couple specific questions in the newbie section, and also one thread in the programming section, but here I'm just giving an introduction, albeit a long one (which tends to be my style), so if anyone wants to give me any advice or recommendations, I'm very open to it. I'd especially love to meet those making an income with marketing who are willing to mentor me, and maybe my technical background could ultimately lead to some mutually beneficial arrangement.

Thanks and happy to be here

Hey @Delyte, great that you found AffiliateFix :affiliatefix: and yeah, it was a delight ;) reading your intro.

The VIPs (very important posts) first:
Here you will get an overview about the 101s of Affiliate- and CPA MArketing:
What is Affiliate Marketing? (START HERE) | Affiliate Marketing Forum | AffiliateFix.
Please read them all, it will provide you with the basics you always need.

Then take a look at our real time examples and case studies:
Follow Alongs and Online Journeys | Affiliate Marketing Forum | AffiliateFix
+ Guides, Case Studies and Tutorials | Affiliate Marketing Forum | AffiliateFix.
They will enhance your ideas and concepts.

A few notes to things mentioned in your intro:
  • Forget all these 'Quick rich schemes'. They are mostly scam, and rich over night you can become by playing the lotteries, but not by work ;)
  • Stay away from every kind of Black Hat. You will only lose in the long haul. Always stay White Hat. That pays off.
  • I also would advise you to stay away from hacking, although I personally don't have the skills for it.
  • Currently Mobile- and Social Media ads seem to be the best options to earn relatively quick, but you'll need a budget for them since they are paid traffic systems.
  • @Mentor: regard AffiliateFix as your personal Mentor. You can find best information here, but you also can ask your questions any time in the relevant forums!

Best regards! I'm sure you can achieve your goals with your knowledge in computer sciences and your personal motivation. All the best ;)

Last edited:
@Delyte - hello and welcome!

That's quite an introduction! You have certainly done your research, a.k.a. due diligence and you're right about focusing on creating something sustainable vs quick and dirty, IMO.

@Marc has pretty much said everything I was going to, so I won't repeat.

Have you decided where you want to start?

Hello everyone! Glad to be here

Hi @Delyte , welcome to AffiliateFix! Thanks for joining us.

if anyone wants to give me any advice or recommendations, I'm very open to it. I'd especially love to meet those making an income with marketing who are willing to mentor me, and maybe my technical background could ultimately lead to some mutually beneficial arrangement.

You are on the right track. Building a business in this industry can lead you to unlimited rewards when you follow a path of integrity and honesty. The lines for an honest business are not as blurred as they once were in online marketing.

I expect you will find the mechanics of this business to be very straight forward and easy to engage. Take it by the numbers and get your feet wet with the basics. This will give you the sure footing you need to progress to more advanced levels with out stumbling at every turn. You may already know much of the following recommendations, hopefully you'll find some guidance in it.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Be active, ask loads of questions, take action, and be committed. That's how it gets done!

Use this forum as a mentor. It's full of members at every level of experience which makes for many balanced perspectives for a Newbie to learn from. Take the time to read through the forums here and see for yourself that the Newbies achieving success have actually dedicated themselves to success in this industry and reaping the rewards by following the advice of fellow AffiliateFix members, being dedicated to success, putting the time in, and making the necessary investments. You cannot shortcut the learning curve. It goes slower for some and it goes faster for others. Everyone has their own intellectual absorption rates, skill development pace, commitment level, and budgets.

You are a FIX'er now and that means you have the world at your feet with IM. Here are a few suggestions:

Read and learn through extensive reading in this community. Select one vertical. one tracker, and one traffic source. Learn from your fellow members here to master each one of them (a couple of months). Then you can expand and replicate your successes.

As a Newbie, you need to read, study, invest, and implement. Perseverance, dedication, and taking action are the cornerstones of the success you will obtain.

Read
Read through the various areas of the forum to learn about the types of marketing available for your new business. Make a list of all the types of marketing and take some notes along the way. Then determine which area of marketing with which you will start your journey.

Do this to select an area of marketing to start, as well, do this to select a tracker, a traffic source, and to select a vertical.

Then read up on the affiliate networks and select two to begin with that will serve your needs and the types of offers you would like to promote. Put your application in and they will call you for an interview. Be professional and be prepared to answer some questions about how you will promote offers, do you have a website, are you a Newbie, etc. Please note, if you join the Dojo, we have a thread there that can offer assistance in getting accepted to some of the networks.

Study
Now that you have selected a basis to begin, read all of the threads in this forum that relate to your initial selections so that you have a rudimentary understanding of their features and benefits.

Invest
You will require some investment. A VPS server, domains, traffic, landing pages, etc. You will need a budget for daily, weekly, and monthly expenses. This will change over time and you will need to update it often so that you know exactly what your costs and earnings are.

Implement
This is where it all starts to earn. You must now begin to implement what you have established as your foundation for your business.

Here is some advice and guidance that will help you establish your initial goals:

Make sure you complete the following first.

Every business needs:

1. a plan
2. a schedule for research, learning, and execution
3. a budget.

Remember to read through our WIKI and get to know the basics as well as some of the buzz words in the industry.

I also recommend reading the following thread:

As a Newbie, What Stops You From Getting Started

Here is a set of immediate goals:

1. Get a VPS
2. Select a vertical
3. Select a tracker
4. Select a couple of networks and get your approval
5. Select a traffic source
6. Create a schedule for researching, learning (training), and working. This is a business, treat it as such!
7. Create a budget for every expense (daily, weekly, monthly)
8. Be very active in this forum by researching, asking questions, helping others when you are able.

As well, I highly recommend you join the DOJO as it is full of great tools and contributions for successful marketers. Click the banner below to learn more.

Remember This! : Nothing has to be perfect before you start. Read & study, but invest and implement at the same time. You cannot learn all of it from reading and studying. A great deal of your learning comes from implementing!

Good Luck!

T J

Thanks everyone for your replies.

As for getting started, I'm still deciding on that. My budget is definitely more limited, so I'm starting to lean towards creating maybe 1 or 2 niche sites that I'm actually interested in that I build up with time and effort more than money, so that they can eventually build a steady income that I can experiment with, but ultimately it seems that paid traffic seems to be the way to go in the long term. I've read a few case studies here and there, but I'm still learning of course.

I do have a few questions about terminology, what exactly is a VPS, a Vertical (an offer to promote?), and a Tracker (CPA offer tracker?)

Thanks for the words of encouragement

waw ur story is long as ur plan as well
but nice plan to strat from cpc to cpa
Cool great mindset

Hii @Delyte to aff world. me too a newbie as you and the first thing i'm doing is concentrating in build my targeted email list. %y Question for Profess. is that a good things to start with it in this domain or not ??

Thanks @Ibrahime AMEUR, building an email list probably isn't a bad place to start, I know email marketing can be profitable, but for email marketing you also should look into how you're going to send that many emails. There are a few free platforms that allow you to have 2000 subscribers and 12000 emails per month, but that's the limit before you have to start investing in your emails, not to mention the cost of actually building the list. But how you build the list is probably the important place to start if you want to start with email marketing. Do you plan on doing it through a website people subscribe to? An ad asking for emails?

I had another question for those a bit more experienced. Does anyone have experience with old fashioned mail marketing? Such as postcard marketing? I have one direct mail idea that I plan on trying, just curious if others have tried direct mail before.

@Delyte thanks for respond
as a platform i'm using getresponse platform i can pay the monthly fee its not a big problem for me and source of traffic to get lead i work with soloads can help build mail list quickly

banners
Back