The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Hello from NY

Muubie

affiliate
Hi all,

My name is Mike and I'm a total newbie who is hoping to break into this tough business. I look forward to learning as much as I can. Thanks for this great forum!!

Hi Muubie,

This is a great platform for young affiliate marketers such as yourself!

If you need anything don't hesitate. Everyone here is quite friendly so you won't have any trouble searching for info and actually getting what you want!

Play wisely, study hard and earn that cash!

Hi @Muubie,
hope you'll soon be not a newbie (haha).

Hope this place will become your AM home, where you're always welcome.
We are here to help you increase your knowledge and wisdom.

Tell us bit more about you, your experience etc
Please feel free to ask any question.

And if you're searching for trustful CPI network, just ping me!
P.S. we have launched PINs as well. Join our at your journey!

Hello @Muubie , welcome to AffiliateFix and the Dojo! Thanks for joining us.

My name is Mike and I'm a total newbie who is hoping to break into this tough business. I look forward to learning as much as I can. Thanks for this great forum!!

My first recommendation is to stop thinking of this as a tough business. It is not, not in any way. This business can be challenging, but most any business is challenging. Like anything else, when you take the time to get an understanding of the industry and select an entry point, and find the right people to help you get your footing and support you, your personal growth will have begun and your confidence will not waiver.

Use this forum as a mentor. It's full of members at every level of experience which makes for many balanced perspectives for a Newbie to learn from. Take the time to read through the forums here and see for yourself that the Newbies achieving success have actually dedicated themselves to success in this industry and reaping the rewards by following the advice of fellow AffiliateFix members, being dedicated to success, putting the time in, and making the necessary investments. You cannot shortcut the learning curve. It goes slower for some and it goes faster for others. Everyone has their own intellectual absorption rates, skill development pace, commitment level, and budgets.

You are a FIX'er now and that means you have the world at your feet with IM. Here are a few suggestions:

Read and learn through extensive reading in this community. Select one vertical. one tracker, and one traffic source. Learn from your fellow members here to master each one of them (a couple of months). Then you can expand and replicate your successes.

As a Newbie, you need to read, study, invest, and implement. Perseverance, dedication, and taking action are the cornerstones of the success you will obtain.

Read
Read through the various areas of the forum to learn about the types of marketing available for your new business. Make a list of all the types of marketing and take some notes along the way. Then determine which area of marketing with which you will start your journey.

Do this to select an area of marketing to start, as well, do this to select a tracker, a traffic source, and to select a vertical.

Then read up on the affiliate networks and select two to begin with that will serve your needs and the types of offers you would like to promote. Put your application in and they will call you for an interview. Be professional and be prepared to answer some questions about how you will promote offers, do you have a website, are you a Newbie, etc. Please note, if you join the Dojo, we have a thread there that can offer assistance in getting accepted to some of the networks.

Study
Now that you have selected a basis to begin, read all of the threads in this forum that relate to your initial selections so that you have a rudimentary understanding of their features and benefits.

Invest
You will require some investment. A VPS server, domains, traffic, landing pages, etc. You will need a budget for daily, weekly, and monthly expenses. This will change over time and you will need to update it often so that you know exactly what your costs and earnings are.

Implement
This is where it all starts to earn. You must now begin to implement what you have established as your foundation for your business.

Here is some advice and guidance that will help you establish your initial goals:

Make sure you complete the following first.

Every business needs:

1. a plan
2. a schedule for research, learning, and execution
3. a budget.

Remember to read through our WIKI and get to know the basics as well as some of the buzz words in the industry.

I also recommend reading the following thread:

As a Newbie, What Stops You From Getting Started

Here is a set of immediate goals:

1. Get a VPS
2. Select a vertical
3. Select a tracker
4. Select a couple of networks and get your approval
5. Select a traffic source
6. Create a schedule for researching, learning (training), and working. This is a business, treat it as such!
7. Create a budget for every expense (daily, weekly, monthly)
8. Be very active in this forum by researching, asking questions, helping others when you are able.

Remember This! : Nothing has to be perfect before you start. Read & study, but invest and implement at the same time. You cannot learn all of it from reading and studying. A great deal of your learning comes from implementing!

Good Luck!

T J

Last edited:
Hello @Muubie , welcome to AffiliateFix and the Dojo! Thanks for joining us.

My first recommendation is to stop thinking of this as a tough business. It is not, not in any way. This business can be challenging, but most any business is challenging. Like anything else, when you take the time to get an understanding of the industry and select an entry point, and find the right people to help you get your footing and support you, your personal growth will have begun and your confidence will not waiver.

Use this forum as a mentor. It's full of members at every level of experience which makes for many balanced perspectives for a Newbie to learn from. Take the time to read through the forums here and see for yourself that the Newbies achieving success have actually dedicated themselves to success in this industry and reaping the rewards by following the advice of fellow AffiliateFix members, being dedicated to success, putting the time in, and making the necessary investments. You cannot shortcut the learning curve. It goes slower for some and it goes faster for others. Everyone has their own intellectual absorption rates, skill development pace, commitment level, and budgets.

You are a FIX'er now and that means you have the world at your feet with IM. Here are a few suggestions:

Read and learn through extensive reading in this community. Select one vertical. one tracker, and one traffic source. Learn from your fellow members here to master each one of them (a couple of months). Then you can expand and replicate your successes.

As a Newbie, you need to read, study, invest, and implement. Perseverance, dedication, and taking action are the cornerstones of the success you will obtain.

Read
Read through the various areas of the forum to learn about the types of marketing available for your new business. Make a list of all the types of marketing and take some notes along the way. Then determine which area of marketing with which you will start your journey.

Do this to select an area of marketing to start, as well, do this to select a tracker, a traffic source, and to select a vertical.

Then read up on the affiliate networks and select two to begin with that will serve your needs and the types of offers you would like to promote. Put your application in and they will call you for an interview. Be professional and be prepared to answer some questions about how you will promote offers, do you have a website, are you a Newbie, etc. Please note, if you join the Dojo, we have a thread there that can offer assistance in getting accepted to some of the networks.

Study
Now that you have selected a basis to begin, read all of the threads in this forum that relate to your initial selections so that you have a rudimentary understanding of their features and benefits.

Invest
You will require some investment. A VPS server, domains, traffic, landing pages, etc. You will need a budget for daily, weekly, and monthly expenses. This will change over time and you will need to update it often so that you know exactly what your costs and earnings are.

Implement
This is where it all starts to earn. You must now begin to implement what you have established as your foundation for your business.

Here is some advice and guidance that will help you establish your initial goals:

Make sure you complete the following first.

Every business needs:

1. a plan
2. a schedule for research, learning, and execution
3. a budget.

Remember to read through our WIKI and get to know the basics as well as some of the buzz words in the industry.

I also recommend reading the following thread:

As a Newbie, What Stops You From Getting Started

Here is a set of immediate goals:

1. Get a VPS
2. Select a vertical
3. Select a tracker
4. Select a couple of networks and get your approval
5. Select a traffic source
6. Create a schedule for researching, learning (training), and working. This is a business, treat it as such!
7. Create a budget for every expense (daily, weekly, monthly)
8. Be very active in this forum by researching, asking questions, helping others when you are able.

Remember This! : Nothing has to be perfect before you start. Read & study, but invest and implement at the same time. You cannot learn all of it from reading and studying. A great deal of your learning comes from implementing!

Good Luck!

T J

Thanks so much for this TJ. I'm actually going to be using your post as my personal guide. The funny thing is I'm trying not to overthink it but I find myself doing exactly that. I think personality wise this is one of the many things I need to work on. I'd like your opinion on some of the goals you set for me. I apologize in advance for the log post.

You mentioned I need a VPS. Is this used for lead pages only or do I also put my tracker on this? I was considering Liquid Web, InMotion Hosting, Beyond Hosting. Is there any host you think would be more suitable for a beginner in terms of ease of use or cost? I read that instead of a VPS you can use a CDN. Is a CDN a type of VPS setup that spreads the load to different VPS'?

As for vertical, I'm still exploring. I'd consider anything but would prefer no adult.

I'm trying to decide between 3 different trackers, Voluum, Thrive and Funnel Flux. I think I very generally understand what trackers do any why they are important but when I try and dig a little deeper to understand the process I'm getting lost. I tried to follow servandosilva's guide here: http://www.affiliatefix.com/threads/voluum-the-ultimate-guide.9411/ and it got to be a bit overwhelming ie CNAME, Double Meta refresh redirects, Cloaking. Don't laugh, but the more I looked into each term the more I ended up drifting further away from what I was originally looking up. Is the tracking industry so competitive that they are all pretty much the same? Can I choose self hosted and put it on the VPS/CDN? I don't feel I know enough about tracking to compare their differences in features/benefits and make a wise decision.

I am looking at several networks to sign up with. The first is A4D. I chose this one more for it's reputation and the reputation of it's founder, Jason Akatiff (smaxor). I also liked his game that teaches affiliate marketing to newbies (playstartupalley.com). The game is still being developed but I finished up to their highest level so far. The second network I'm looking into Peerfly. I chose this one from what I read on the forums and also I liked LukePeerfly's blog. Are these two recommended for newbies? Do they even accept complete newbies? Should I choose more than two networks to start with?

As a source I was leaning towards mobile since it's supposed to be hot now. Are there certain verticals that are more newbie friendly? Maybe a vertical that will allow a newbie to get familiar with the "fundamentals" first? I'm assuming that some verticals by nature might be more complex and are better left to those that have some experience. I also was thinking of Facebook (a more complex vertical) but from the little I've read it sounds easy to get banned and there are many restrictions. Come to think of it, that could also be a big plus if I'm able to deal with the obstacles, what do you think?

I haven't really created a schedule yet, since right now it's all just researching and training. But I will....promise!

As for budgeting I don't know where to start yet but from what I read you need at least $500 and up to $2000 a month to start. I guess I'll have a better idea of the budgeting once I can get a more solid understanding of the other requirements.

I guess my goal now should be to get up and running so I can start testing, is that right?

Once again thanks TJ for your help....or anyone that wants to add in their 2 cents.

Thanks so much for this TJ. I'm actually going to be using your post as my personal guide.

That guide has led many to a fruitful career. Happy to hear you will use it as well.

The funny thing is I'm trying not to overthink it but I find myself doing exactly that. I think personality wise this is one of the many things I need to work on. I'd like your opinion on some of the goals you set for me. I apologize in advance for the log post.

Over thinking is the result of not having answers and not researching as well as not following the recommendations of those that are successful. When you don't know the answer to something, your incredible mind gets to work and begins to over analyze and when you try to analyze something without the benefit of having the knowledge in front of you it simply causes your mind to start extrapolating and suggesting possibilities. This is why the old adages like "keep it simple" and "don't over think it" came to be. The only true way to analyze anything is known facts. Analyzing with known facts will result in a limited number of possibilities. This makes analyzing a very simple and easy process. Stick to the facts, always. When you don't know the facts, never guess, never trust the unknown, always seek out the truth of something. That's the only way to conduct business!

You mentioned I need a VPS. Is this used for lead pages only or do I also put my tracker on this? I was considering Liquid Web, InMotion Hosting, Beyond Hosting. Is there any host you think would be more suitable for a beginner in terms of ease of use or cost? I read that instead of a VPS you can use a CDN. Is a CDN a type of VPS setup that spreads the load to different VPS'?

A VPS is a Virtual Private Server and is assigned it's own IP Address. They are scalable, meaning you can pay a little more for additional CPU's and RAM when necessary. It will not be subject to CPU throttling as would a shared server (unless you are doing the throttling yourself). In the end, for a Newbie, I believe that a VPS is the correct choice. You need to learn to manage your own server. I highly recommend a VPS with CPanel which gives you a simple graphical interface to manage your addon domains, your email accounts, and a bunch of other conveniences and tools. It is easy to learn and easy to expand.

A CDN is a Content Delivery Network, also sometimes called a Content Distribution Network. It very similar to cloud hosting in some ways. It relies on groups of proxy servers around the world to determine the best server for the location the content is being delivered to. They are fast, and when you get your volume in traffic to an extremely high level it will definitely serve you well.

You will find that this is a subject that can give way to many intense discussions. However, I still recommend a beginners VPS for a Newbie. I don't use a CDN and I have some great traffic on some of my content sites with great response times and content delivery times.

I've heard great things about Beyond Hosting, but I have never used them. I always recommend BlueHost as their VPS's start at $29.99 a month and are scalable. Many will say that they've had long wait times, but that's generally from people using shared servers and shared servers are simply not good for the kind of work we do. As a VPS client of BlueHost, I have always had great and fast service for myself and my clients. That said, I also recommend checking out Beyond hosting and compare what you get from them to what you get from BlueHost. You may also want to look through our
Domains and Hosting forum to read more about what your fellow members are recommending.

As for vertical, I'm still exploring. I'd consider anything but would prefer no adult.

Take you time selecting a vertical. Remember that in selecting a vertical as a beginner, you want to drill down in the vertical and find matching offers. For example, if you select the Relationship Vertical, there are numerous sub niches within that vertical. For examples, gay dating, big breasted women dating, jewish dating, etc. There even niches within those niches. Focusing on a sub niche makes much easier to target your traffic at the right visitors to your offer.

I'm trying to decide between 3 different trackers, Voluum, Thrive and Funnel Flux. I think I very generally understand what trackers do any why they are important but when I try and dig a little deeper to understand the process I'm getting lost. I tried to follow servandosilva's guide here: http://www.affiliatefix.com/threads/voluum-the-ultimate-guide.9411/ and it got to be a bit overwhelming ie CNAME, Double Meta refresh redirects, Cloaking. Don't laugh, but the more I looked into each term the more I ended up drifting further away from what I was originally looking up. Is the tracking industry so competitive that they are all pretty much the same? Can I choose self hosted and put it on the VPS/CDN? I don't feel I know enough about tracking to compare their differences in features/benefits and make a wise decision.

All three of those are good. Voluum probably has the most popularity here on the community. But, all three have representatives here in our resources area.

A trackers is the most important tool you will have. you cannot be successful without it. Half of your learning curve will be dedicated to becoming an expert with your tracker. This is a data driven business and the information from your tracker is going to give you the intelligent data that leads you to where the money is. Be a loyal and dedicated student of your tracker!

I am looking at several networks to sign up with. The first is A4D. I chose this one more for it's reputation and the reputation of it's founder, Jason Akatiff (smaxor). I also liked his game that teaches affiliate marketing to newbies (playstartupalley.com). The game is still being developed but I finished up to their highest level so far. The second network I'm looking into Peerfly. I chose this one from what I read on the forums and also I liked LukePeerfly's blog. Are these two recommended for newbies? Do they even accept complete newbies? Should I choose more than two networks to start with?

A4D and Jason are great! I love those guys. They will be very helpful to you with your campaigns. Peerfly is also a great network, but sometimes they shy away from Newbies. Don't be disappointed in any network that has reservations about working with Newbies. You will get into them sooner than you think once you have got some successful campaigns running.

As a source I was leaning towards mobile since it's supposed to be hot now. Are there certain verticals that are more newbie friendly? Maybe a vertical that will allow a newbie to get familiar with the "fundamentals" first? I'm assuming that some verticals by nature might be more complex and are better left to those that have some experience. I also was thinking of Facebook (a more complex vertical) but from the little I've read it sounds easy to get banned and there are many restrictions. Come to think of it, that could also be a big plus if I'm able to deal with the obstacles, what do you think?

Okay, first of all, Facebook is not a vertical, it is a traffic source. Mobile is not a vertical, it is a device to deliver traffic to.

Both mobile and Facebook are a good combination. But there are many variations for mobile and Facebook. I recommend reading through our Mobile Marketing forum and our Newbie Helpdesk forum. Then create a new thread in each asking the membership to give you some recommendations and guidance. Get accustomed to researching. Researching anything and everything. Research is half of our business. This industry is in a constant state of change due to rapid growth and continued increased maturity.

I haven't really created a schedule yet, since right now it's all just researching and training. But I will....promise!

As for budgeting I don't know where to start yet but from what I read you need at least $500 and up to $2000 a month to start. I guess I'll have a better idea of the budgeting once I can get a more solid understanding of the other requirements.

Schedules and Investment are part of every business. This IS a business and you need to treat it as such from the beginning. If you can establish a $2000 budget, you should find it suitable for your budget. You shouldn't need to add $2k a month to your budget. The time to add more money to your budget is once you learn to generate a positive ROI (return on investment).

I guess my goal now should be to get up and running so I can start testing, is that right?

Your goal now is to establish your schedule, your budget, get your VPS, choose your vertical sub-niche, get your tracker, and get insights and recommendations from your fellow members. Then you're ready to get a follow along going in the Follow Alongs and Online Journeys forum. This will draw the attention of the members and will get you guidance and assistance to reach your goals.

Once again thanks TJ for your help....or anyone that wants to add in their 2 cents.

You are welcome, but let's get you going on the above and start posting in the the sub-forums that cater to your needs. You will get responses from many members and that way you get to consider the recommendations of the many and not just the one.

I'll see your threads and posts, and when I do I'll be sure to add my two cents whenever I am able.

Good start, stick with the plan and you will do well!

banners
Back