The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Google Places name displayed incorrectly...

StackCash

affiliate
So, Google Places is displaying the wrong name for my company. It's showing the old name of our business before we re-incorporated under a different title. The settings page has all the correct info, including the correct name to be displayed. However, the actually search results and place page is still showing the old business name. Anyone know how I can correct this or who I can contact?

Hi StackCash,

I do Google Places for a living so can probably help. Some questions 1st.

1) When did you change the name? It it an official DBA?

2) Are there keywords or city in the new name?

3) Did you do citations with the new name before changing it?

4) Do you have any citations with the new name?
Do a Google search (including quotes and + your phone in the indicated format) for:
"your business name" + (555) 444-3333

Let me know how many you find.

This sort of happened to me. I was editing a client's places info and accidentally put my work number in the wrong spot. Lo and behold when the listing was updated, my number was there. Awful! So I went back in under my verified google account for that business/client and changed it. Took several days but all was well. :)

Might take a few days is my suggestion.

Thanks Janelle. I waited a week to see if it would resolve itself, but no change yet.

@Linda - Do you have any suggestions? I could PM you the places page if you don't mind taking a look.

Yes PM the Place page but I also need answers to the Qs I asked in order to help you. Please answer the Qs publicly so our convo maybe can help others. But if you'd prefer to keep the Place private you can PM me and I'll take a look.

Sorry, I had written out a reply and deleted it, apparently. Here is the info you were looking for:

1) When did you change the name? It it an official DBA?

The business changed names about 1 year ago. It is an official name change that is trademarked.

2) Are there keywords or city in the new name?

The business name includes a very broad keyword. Unfortunately, I wasn't as up on my SEO when we were coming up with a new name.

3) Did you do citations with the new name before changing it?

We didn't create any citations manually for the old name. We started creating citations on sites like yelp and superpages recently for the new business name.

4) Do you have any citations with the new name?
Do a Google search (including quotes and + your phone in the indicated format) for:
"your business name" + (555) 444-3333

"business name + phone" yielded about 400 results. We are in the financial industry, and it appears that several sites that compile information on financial companies have us listed in their databases.

For anyone interested...

The problem was that my old company name had more citations than my new company name, so Google (and it's all powerful wisdom) decided my old business name is more relevant for my Place page than my new one.

The solution?

Prominently display my contact info on my new website with the new business name. Claim as many citations under the new business name as possible to increase relevance.

banners
Back