The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Ebook downloading

JBEnterprises

I'm new to affiliate marketing and need some help. I'm currently writing an ebook and when I'm finished I would like to offer it on my affiliate web site. I would like to make it downloadable to the buyer. I have been told I need to upload it to my server and give a url to the buyer. Do I need a certain software program to be able to upload the file to my server ? If so any suggestions ?

Sorry, I have never set up an ebook program.
I've only set up retail-type product affiliate programs
on the larger networks like CJ.

Are you giving it away or selling it? If you are selling it, seems like most people
go through Clickbank or Paydotcom. Maybe they have instructions for how to set it up on your site?
Not sure...

Anyone here ever done this or know what it takes?

Hi,
I have written a number of ebooks and produce digital products.

You can use a FTP program (there's a ton of free ones out there) and upload it to your server.

What's the purpose of the ebook?
To recruit affiliates?
Generate leads?

I'd put an opt-in page and collect leads and set the 'thank you' page to the download page.

PM me or post in this thread if you have more questions.

Like Linda said, Clickbank and paydotcom are digital product marketplaces where you can sell your ebook.

You can also sell it on eBay and on Amazon through their advantage program.

I'm new to affiliate marketing and need some help. I'm currently writing an ebook and when I'm finished I would like to offer it on my affiliate web site. I would like to make it downloadable to the buyer. I have been told I need to upload it to my server and give a url to the buyer. Do I need a certain software program to be able to upload the file to my server ? If so any suggestions ?

Hello JBEnt,
Welcome to the 5 Star forums; I hope you enjoy your stay here. :)

For my answer, I'm going to assume that your mention of "downloadable to the buyer" means you plan to sell your ebook.

Linda's right that a lot of people go through ClickBank, PayDotCom, e-Junkie, or even PayLoadz when it comes to selling their digital products. It's actually one of the easiest ways to do it. These companies simply take a small transaction fee for each sale (and some also require an initial set up fee, but nothing exuberant), which helps them with their overhead costs -- some will even host the files for you (e-junkie and PayLoadz, if I'm not mistaken).

If you plan to go it alone, then you'll need to make sure you have some way to protect your product from unauthorized downloads -- one great way is with some type of IPN verification software and download protector. One that receives a number of recommendations is DLGuard. Though it's not free, it offers some great features, including download link expiration and top-notch support. (Nope, not affiliated with them in any way.)

To upload the files to your server, while you may not need special software if your host provides a control panel (i.e. cPanel), it would come in handy. The one you choose would depend on your operating system, however, I personally use and have no problems recommending FileZilla -- a free and open source FTP program.

Personally, I use my own home-grown script to manage my ebook sales mainly because I needed a solution that integrated with my WP set up and already had a system in place that worked for me. That may be an option for you if you're into programming and can whip something up for yourself. Lemme know if you'd like more info on that and I'd be happy to point you in the direction of a few good APIs.

Finally, if you're offering up the download for people who subscribe to your list, I don't suggest you place the link on your actual redirected thank you page, but on your confirmation thank you page. Yep, there's a difference.

I'll share a secret with you -- I generally don't sign up for those e-mail squeeze pages. Instead, I just snag the thank you page from the source code (not too difficult if you're using Firefox) and download the file. Now, I'm not the only one who does this. What you can do is make it more difficult by requiring the reader to confirm their e-mail address in order to get the download link.

If I had my way, of course, there'd be no need for a squeeze page. Instead, provide great content in the ebook and ask the reader to sign up to your e-mail list. Chances are, if you provide some good content and a promise of receiving more, most people will do it.

I truly hope this helps out. :D

~ Teli

>Personally, I use my own home-grown script to manage my ebook sales mainly because I needed a solution that integrated with my WP set up and already had a system in place that worked for me. That may be an option for you if you're into programming and can whip something up for yourself. Lemme know if you'd like more info on that and I'd be happy to point you in the direction of a few good APIs.

Hi Teli, I'd be keen to check out the APIs.
Tks!

Hi,
I have written a number of ebooks and produce digital products.

You can use a FTP program (there's a ton of free ones out there) and upload it to your server.

What's the purpose of the ebook?
To recruit affiliates?
Generate leads?

I'd put an opt-in page and collect leads and set the 'thank you' page to the download page.

PM me or post in this thread if you have more questions.

Like Linda said, Clickbank and paydotcom are digital product marketplaces where you can sell your ebook.

You can also sell it on eBay and on Amazon through their advantage program.

That's really solid advice Andrew!!!
And so simple to do!

Hi Bobbie,
Thanks for your kind words.

Underlying these simple steps are issues like:
1) What's a burning issue that your intended audience is focused on?
2) Are they willing to pay for it?
3) How much are they willing to pay?
4) What sets you apart from your competition?

Going a step further, are they willing to pay for it on a continuity (recurring/membership) basis?

Writing the book is probably the easiest part, it's the backend planning/strategy which'll have the biggest effect in determining your success or failure.

That's really solid advice Andrew!!!
And so simple to do!

I think it's Brad Fallon that owns Free IQ.

SIDE NOTE: Just now when I looked to see who's online
you - "Oregon Coast Guy" are online right next to "oregongal".
You should hook up! :p I mean for networking, you are probably both married. ;)

Links to APIs and Script References

> Lemme know if you'd like more info on that and I'd be happy to point you in the direction of a few good APIs.

Hi Teli, I'd be keen to check out the APIs.
Tks!

Hey Andrew,
Hopefully these resources will prove useful for you:
WordPress Plugin Hooks
PayPal Integration Center
PayPal Instant Payment Notification (There's a link to the PDF at the bottom. It seems convoluted at first, but it's a handy reference.)
Testing PayPal IPN

And of course, the wonderful official PHP documentation. :D

Hope that helps out and if there's something specific that you were looking for, ask and I'll see what I have in the tool chest.

~ Teli

Hello JBEnt,
Welcome to the 5 Star forums; I hope you enjoy your stay here. :)

Finally, if you're offering up the download for people who subscribe to your list, I don't suggest you place the link on your actual redirected thank you page, but on your confirmation thank you page. Yep, there's a difference.

What's the difference between the two :confused:

What's the difference between the two :confused:

Hi Clara,
When someone signs up to the newsletter, they're immediately redirected to a thank you page -- that's what I meant by the redirected thank you page.

When that someone confirms their e-mail address and subscription, they can be taken to another thank you page -- that's what I meant by the confirmation thank you page.

If you put the download link on the redirected thank you page instead of the confirmation thank you page, someone could just check the source code for the redirect link and not actually sign up to the mailing list.

~ Teli

banners
Back