The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Duplicate Content: It's Not What You Think!

How often should one write new content? Does this influence rankings. In other words, if you write an article a day as appose to 2 a week.

Also, how many words is enough for and article to get ranked. Is 400-600 words enough?

How often should one write new content?

As often as you have something to say. There is no magic number.

Does this influence rankings. In other words, if you write an article a day as appose to 2 a week.

Not directly, no. It primarily influences how frequently search engine spiders return to crawl your site. However, adding new content does create new opportunities for "keywords", perhaps especially long tail search terms.

Also, how many words is enough for and article to get ranked. Is 400-600 words enough?

Again, no magic number. If you can say what you want to say in 400-600 words, that should be good.

Thank you very much for all the replies.

About keyword density and spreading throughout the article.

I have read that some people say too much keywords (keyword stuffing) can get you penalized by crawlers. How do you decide how many keywords to use in the article.

Is the title of the article also important and must it contain a keyword or two about the article.

Try to write the content for your readers, not for search engine spiders. Certainly, you want to make sure that your primary search terms appear in the page title tag and one or two times on the page itself but don't go nuts with it. Use variations and synonyms to hook into the so-called "long tail search terms" and make sure it is readable for humans. If you do that, you'll be fine with search engines.

I am very confuse at this topic not until I finished reading the conversation. It will help me a lot.
Thanks for sharing :)

Thank you very much for all the replies.

About keyword density and spreading throughout the article.

I have read that some people say too much keywords (keyword stuffing) can get you penalized by crawlers. How do you decide how many keywords to use in the article.

Is the title of the article also important and must it contain a keyword or two about the article.

I read somewhere that the beginning (first sentence or paragraph) and the end are the most important, have you got any thoughts about that?

I have been thinking the same from couple of time but i don't think it matters at all. But what if some once content is copy righted and it is copied by someone for pasting on their site?

That's a different issue.

If someone has scraped your content illegally, follow these steps in order:
  1. email them and asked to have it removed
  2. if there is no satisfactory response, give them a deadline to comply and let them know that failure to comply will be followed by legal action
  3. if that doesn't work, initiate legal action, starting with a lawyer's letter
If the scraped content is indexed in Google:
  1. follow the instructions at Digital Millennium Copyright Act

I've had really good luck by tracking down their host. Then I send a letter to them and CC their host, giving them a deadline and telling them if they don't comply I will get their host to take their site down.

I have always used my keywords in the title, intro paragraph and let the rest of the content flow with maybe a few more keywords.

Is the stealing of ones content pretty normal? If so, is there an easier way to check to see if someone has stolen your work? I hope I am making sense in my wording ;)

I have been seeing in a lot of threads the misunderstanding of duplicate content. I am writing this to eliminate the misunderstanding so that fear of something does not effect your online marketing.

Thanks, I was wondering about that kind of stuff. You affirmed my assumtion. It's only common sense. The article directories are, of course publishing duplicates of stuff and don't get penalized. I guess it's important that "written by the author" stays intact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent post jcorkern.
Just to supplement that everything that you wrote the above still applies to "duplicate contet". Of course it is best to have a unique content on your website and thus be more interesting to your target audience, right?

I think the misundestanding of "Duplicate Content" doesn't come form the fear of having an exact copy of a website but more in relation to the exact same article. I load my sites up with PLR articles that haven't been changed and the page /post whatever gets indexed everytime.

The problem with so called duplicate content is when you want to rank higher in the search engines with it. There's no point taking a PLR article and trying to get a google top spot with it because it won't work.

Google will take ALL duplicate content and give the MOST relevant site/page the higher search position. It's that simple.

Google will take ALL duplicate content and give the MOST relevant site/page the higher search position. It's that simple.

What most are forgetting is what Google defines as "most relevant". So how would Google decide which site and/or page is the best one or most relevant? Google has what is called supplemental results, and it will show a couple occurrences at most after it filters all of them in the natural results unless you use quotes in the search. So how can you republish an article and get the top spot for it?

There is one way for sure, and the second way can be attained also if your site is a true authority site. The first is the most high quality links pointing to that page that has the duplicate content.

You can take an article from ezine articles and put it on a site/blog, get some high quality links to that page/post and it will be the top position in search, even after ezine articles had it in natural results for 2 years.

You have to remember that inbound links is the main relevance factor that Google looks for.

Matt has stated several times that the best way to get out of supplemental results is to get some good inbound links to that content page/post.

To win using duplicate content and SEO in general, you can not focus on one point or aspect, but the total program as a whole.

The problem with so called duplicate content is when you want to rank higher in the search engines with it. There's no point taking a PLR article and trying to get a google top spot with it because it won't work.

So, considering what I just posted, that last quote is not true, if you post a PLR article to a page or post and build more high quality links to it than the one or no 1 that is currently in google, you will get the top spot, so it can and does work if you understand how google ranks them.

jcorkern said:
So, considering what I just posted, that last quote is not true, if you post a PLR article to a page or post and build more high quality links to it than the one or no 1 that is currently in google, you will get the top spot, so it can and does work if you understand how google ranks them.

All things being equal, that will probably work, but it is going to be a lot more difficult to get a previously published article to rank well than an original article. Among other factors, age of the article is also considered.

I agree that it would not be easy. I was trying to show how google works more than stating to target these for rankings and traffic. Just trying to show the principal. Guess I should have been a little more detailed.

Duplicate content is no longer quality content, and without quality content you can't have good ranking. ;)

That is true. I try to publish the original content on my blog first all the time, and get great comments bookmarks and pingbacks daily. But if I just picked an old article I already published a year ago I would not be no 1 amongst the 900.000 sites competing. Try to give out an information other people do not share. That is my secret and it works.

banners
Back