The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Duplicate Content: It's Not What You Think!

If in doubt, bring in the blood sucking lawyers.

You'll always be safe that way. :rolleyes:

Thanks Jim. I just came across your post. Even though its old, but it is actual. 2 days ago one my colleges was asking about duplicate content. We do a lot of PR and article distribution ourselves, and she was wondering does it mean duplicate content. I wasn't sure, because I also didn't find problems with article syndication.

So what does it mean: SE do not like duplicate content ... ? I heard this many times.

"So what does it mean: SE do not like duplicate content ... ? I heard this many times."

Overall, it means they are acting like a parrot and have no factual basis to back it up.

You just said yourself..."I heard this many times."

When something is repeated many times over and over , it becomes a general consensus that it is indeed fact.

This is practiced daily by companies, politicians, the news media, marketers and old wives tales. It is based on social conformity. Looks like I need to write some Information on how to use this in marketing campaigns.

Thanks, jcorkern. You mean Press release and article syndication? We found it very effective when publishing interesting newsworthy information. Will look forward to your post.

as far as what i've read recently in Digital Point, Google doesn't really penalise sites that has dupe content but this sites experience failure in ranking their keywords on top

Not True

as far as what i've read recently in Digital Point, Google doesn't really penalise sites that has dupe content but this sites experience failure in ranking their keywords on top

Actually that is not true, top rankings for keywords has a lot more to do with PR, backlinks, age of domain, and these aged, high PR site can post the exact same content taken from a lower PR site and it will out rank the original lower PR content source. Their authority will allow them outrank the original source even with the dupe content.

A good example of this is high PR forums where you can post an exact copy of one of your web pages or blog posts and that forum page will outrank yours if your blog is a lower PR and a newer site.

Imagine that I write a page on auctions on my BANS site and then I add ( or eBay steals it ;)) the exact same article on Ebay, which one do you think will rank higher?

However, when it comes to building affiliate sites, like Amazon affiliate stores for example, which are basically replicas of Amazon and have no additional original content and value, these sites do not have much chance of ranking, because there is no original content that would distinguish them from Amazon and Google does not feel these sites add any value to their customer, the searcher, they are basically just a slice of the original Amazon.

Same with BANS, the key to ranking is not just to create a site with a bunch of eBay feeds, but to create a lot of original niche based content that will distinguish that BANS site from eBay itself and the other thousands of BANS sites. This is the reason why recently so many BANS sites have been getting deindexed, lack of original content.

FYI, overall, be careful of info on DP, this forum is a much more accurate and a high quality source of information :D

Thanks for the detailed tip

It was very helpful and I will be cool about my blogs from now. I have a news website which borrows news bits from major newspapers. lol

im not accounting on DP alone. some SEO forums do say this account and also Google Webmasters blog. Let's drop the subject what matters is that dupe content doesn't make a site penalized

Gotta be honest.. ive known for years dupe content is a myth.. i happily just write an article and post it to 300 article sites in under 3 mnutes and never had a problem
- dont forget they dont all get listed straight away too.. alot are held for review first. ;)

good luck

Where is the line between duplicate and not duplicate; had some experience where article + unique menu didn't do the job at all, like 80% of articles were removed;

If you could give more detail, I can probably give you an accurate answer. Was it articles you hosted on your site(s)?

I can tell you that most of the time, articles can be brought out of any trouble with just a few quality inbound links. I really doubt that duplicate content is the issue, something else is factoring in this situation.

Imagine a site with 1000 pages, in 10 categories. So each of categories had around 70-100 links on the left side. Articles were 300-600 words each.

Nearly all went supplemental at that times (feb 2006), and a bit later - got removed form index to nearly 90%.

Maybe too massive menu?

Imagine a site with 1000 pages, in 10 categories. So each of categories had around 70-100 links on the left side. Articles were 300-600 words each.

Nearly all went supplemental at that times (feb 2006), and a bit later - got removed form index to nearly 90%.

Maybe too massive menu?

That happened to a site of mine recently. The nav menu was so long it was actually the majority of content on a lot of the pages.

I reduced the nav menu, put on a sitemap and regained my rankings.

I have a friend that has a site for a major keyword that started over linking (Internal linking) and was punished. He had the same experience and dropped his links to max 50 in nav and his went back up.

duplicate content

Thank you very much for this post. There is SO much information floating around about "duplicate content" and people are afraid to even use their OWN articles on their own websites, if they've ever placed them on any article directory. That's the whole point of an article directory; for webmasters to pick articles to use on their sites.

The myth of duplicate content

I have written in my own blog before that it is a myth but not with quite so much detailed research. Thanks. A story I wrote last Sunday was submitted to around twelve article websites, with no change in the body text, heading or abstract whatsoever. I have never bought into the myth except, as Jim rightly points out, where you duplicate an entire site; I have also seen a client report a competitor to Google with a DMCA for duplicated their pages and they banned them all, but just the duplicates, not the site.

I am new to this forum and this thread has been a HUGE eye opener for me, I believed the duplicate content myth :(
I wonder how things will change now, it is very exciting actually. Thanks for this information Jim and everyone else who has contributed.

banners
Back