The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

[Case Study] How To Use Medium To Drive Traffic To Your Site

iamb

Howdy? I you have read my previous posts then you know that I am big fan of leveraging well established sites or platforms to drive traffic to my landing pages.

Regardless of the business model you use online, when it comes to traffic generation you only got 2 options: paid or free.

Even free traffic is not free! You still use your time to put up a process which may help drive traffic to your site.

In this brief case study I explain how you can use the site medium.com to drive targeted traffic to your website or landing page.

I experimented over 6-7 months and managed to have an average of 120+ (on the low end) and 600+ (on the high end) visitors per month to my content on medium.

Out of this number of visitors, I have an average of 26% (100+) who actually read the content and only roughly 2-3% make it to my landing page.

It may seem low at first but when you put things into perspective, it can be a winning combination. By the way the said traffic is increasing.

What is Medium?

Well it's a content publishing or blogging platform where an average of 170 millions users interact. The site itself gets roughly 220+ millions visitors per month.

Even if you manage to drive 0.0001% of that traffic to your site that's 22,000 visitors per month. I don't know about you but i can definitively use some of this ;)

medium-post-4.jpg

So what did I do?

Well as you have probably guessed I simply wrote a piece of content on medium and inserted a link to my landing page.

My landing page is a Quiz funnel which redirect users to an affiliate offer.

I mean after completing the Quiz, I collect email addresses then redirect to an affiliate offer.

So my funnel looks like this:

medium --> Quiz Funnel --> email capture --> affiliate offer.

Witting Content on Medium

You will need a well written, high quality content. Try providing value and cleverly direct readers to your landing page.

Contrary to common belief, you can post an affiliate link on medium provided that you disclose it.

I would recommend rather using a landing page though - which is not a blatant affiliate link! More importantly have a funnel in place (if you can).

With medium you can either write fresh content or import content from your blog or other online sources. For this later part, you have to own the content.

Don't be concerned about duplicate content in this case as medium automatically adds a canonical tag so that you don't get penalized by search engines like the big G.

I used a fresh content for my case study.

What kind of results did I get?

As pointed out above in good months I have 600+ visiting my post on medium and in slow months I get 100+ views on my post on medium.

The beauty of this method:
- I did not build any backlink to my content,
- I did not market my content at all
- all the traffic is organic, mostly from Google search and some internal from medium users.
- I have not even optimized my content yet to increate the click through rate to my Quiz Page (landing page).

Note: Not all your contents will take off but when they do, you can rest assured that the flood gate will open traffic wise :ninja:

I published my first content in August 2020. You will noticed that out of 3 articles, only one seems to get some tractions.

The below screenshot is for November-2020. I am sure you can figure out the article and reverse engineer the funnel.

It does not bother me, as I like sharing what seemingly works.
It's a test site.:)

medium-post-2.jpg

Now you have it - how do use medium to drive traffic to your website.

Go get it! ;)

Comments, questions, welcome!

Yup, this work but you have to work on Genuine Content and Must use Natural Link Insertion, if you do any Spamming todays era, you must get Banned or your account would be Suspended.

I have only read at Medium posts about computer coding, politics and health issues --but maybe that is only related to my own searches and interests?
I have ended up at Medium from social media (Twitter) mainly and from search engines --so the traffic sources are good. But network ads ->Medium->'my' website; sounds like an interesting prospecting method (possibly).

Interesting information. Thanks for sharing! Have you made any sales from the Medium traffic?

Yes i have made few sales like 2-5 sporadic here and there. Not consistent.
Although the traffic to the article is high, the CTR to my landing page is relatively low.
Again this is organic traffic so it's a slow process. For now I just let it sit without optimization to see what kind of results i can get. My second step is to optimize the link insertion to my lander.

But network ads ->Medium->'my' website; sounds like an interesting prospecting method (possibly).

Yes this could be an interesting prospecting option. What i have tried so far is Medium -> My website -> Offer.
I could probably send some paid traffic to the medium article and see but that would defy the purpose of my testing :)
I just wanted to see if Medium could send me some solid organic traffic.

Update on this method: As of 05/06/2021, I have noticed lately that Medium has started no-indexing their free members' articles. You can still use this method to drive traffic if you have a paid membership though.

In some of the vetting I've done, I've seen a lot of site owners and affiliates using Medium. It seems that they allow live links in their articles, so it stands to reason.

I've never checked their pricing, is a membership expensive?

I've never checked their pricing, is a membership expensive?
their membership pricing seem reasonable for someone who wants to use their platform long-term. When you click on "upgrade" it shows a monthly plan of $5/month and annual $50 (save $20).

This probably explains why I rarely see a link on a search engine to Medium now (for my queries anyway).
NOINDEX makes stackexchange and github look better for exposure in the coding world (apparently).

banners
Back