The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Blog vs. free website

Zackkoss

affiliate
So recently I received a copy of affiliate project x and I started reading it. I find it very useful. But It talks about a pre sell letter and now I know that requires a website to host it on correct. Well I was thinking should I put it on my free web site or make a sales letter put it on a blog then ping it and also put it up on adwords. Also one last thing can you put a blog up on adwords. Thank you.

HI Zackkoss,

Happy that you decided to start affiliate marketing. Since you own aff poject X, focus on the techniques from the book, and you will see results.

You can presell affiliate programs on blogs, free websites or paid websites. You can put your blog as a landing page in your adwords campaign. I've done it, and it's working very well.

Many affiliate are using their blogs as traffic generator.

If you have a freewebsite, I be sure that you get more than 99% uptime before setting up your adwords campaign.

If you want to go the free route, choose freewebs.com or blogger.com.

I would be happy if you can post your progress here, step by step so we can help you all the way.

What do you think?

Google and other search engines like blogs better than free hosting sites.
But part of the reason they like blogs is frequently updated content.
And you should only ping after you add a new post. (Just FYI)

I'm sure there is nothing in Adwords that prevents linking to a blog.
(Always double check any advice from people in forums, even me!) :p

Little succes

I have recently wrote my blog and set up a adword campaign. Friday I started my campaign and got it up and running and got about 27 clicks and then had to stop. But when I got home sunday I found that I made a 33 dollar sale. I was incredible happy. So i started my adword campaign got another 27 clicks plus actually i got 96 and i didnt get another sale since. Any Idea why.

Could be lots of things, but mainly you have not had enough clicks to get a good read. You could get 27clicks/1sale then 200clicks/1 sale, then 100/1 then 3clicks for the next sale. That would average out to 1 sale in 83 clicks which is decent. BUT if you got scared and stopped after the 199 clicks before that 2nd sale you'd lose out on any others. Its kinda like gambling.

All sales have ebb and flow they don't come in 1 out of 27 consistantly. Also there could be more competition now, another merchant could be offering lower prices so its hurting your conversion, in extreme cases the merchants tracking could be broken or the merchants site could even be down. Too many options to guess at.

Blogs v Website

Actually I would have both!

The idea of a pre sell letter is actually to have real content on your website or blog, that both attracts the search engines because you have real original content, and also interests people and gets them to click through to your affiliate website

The first thing however is that you must have some way of hiding your affiliate codes otherwise people will NOT click on your affiliate URL, and all your efforts will be totally wasted

If you decide to use a blog - which is a fair option - then to get adwords into a blog, you simply click on where it says "template" within say blogger.com, or wherever the template is for your main blog pages, and then add your google codes into the template. You could decide to save you google codes in a set of .inc pages and then use the PHP include statement to include them in your blog pages. Either way its a really easy thing to do. You can get the google codes from the members area of the Adsense program - obviously you will have to decide what size of ad block you want, and where you want it to appear on your blog or website e.g. down a column, across the top etc

However I would recommend you take this idea of pre selling a bit further
I would decide on a theme you are going to have for your website, and then get a list of all the affiliate programs that fit your theme. You could do it the other way round as well - find affiliate products that are all roughly around a theme of some kind and then use that as your website theme

Then you simply create loads of individual pages of real content you write yourself about everything imaginable to do with your niche, including pages where you write about the GENERAL THEME ONLY of the products you want to sell. You dont need to mention the products by name, you can simply write about the general theme of the products e,g, copy writing, and then have a link at the end saying "for more information click here"

I would however stress you MUST ALWAYS use an encripted affiliate URL. Dont let people see your affiliate URL, otherwise they will put their mouse over your link, right click and select - copy link - then they will paste the link into the address bar and backspace out your affiliate code. People are so afraid that you will get a commission, when they never do, they will go to any lengths to avoid your affiliate codes

To hide your affiliate codes is easy, its just a case of setting up a different page on your website, which contains the affiliate code - this way your affiliate code will not show up in the address bar, the status bar - in fact nowhere. Dont just use redirection, this is just as bad as your affiliate URL laid bare, because it shows up in the address bar once the redirection is complete.

There is stuff on my site about this, but anyone can do it. I actually use double encription, so that if people select - view source - they still cant work out what the affiliate code is!

banners
Back