The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Gold As a Newbie, What Stops You From Getting Started

I appreciate the situation, but I don't have freebie advice for you for the following reason. I have never known anyone in this industry that truly made it by only using free resources. I have read the stories, seen the videos, but in the end, none of them really made it to the top with free resources. At the top of the list is free traffic. It is by far the worst traffic on the planet. Free websites are full of other companies advertising, logos, pop ups and unders, etc. The list goes on.

You are starting an online business that requires a VPS, domains, paid traffic, etc. You can get very cheap versions of these to start, but I don't know anyone that can drive the quality traffic they require for conversions with completely free traffic. Nor can a free web site with free hosting accommodate the volume of traffic one requires to get traction in this business. ( I can hear the YouTubers out there screaming at me right this second).

Every business on the planet requires an investment of some sort. I recommend you get a few hundred bucks together to start your business. You can make it work with that if you work smart. I have found that a couple thousand will put you on the map quickly if you follow the rules of the road.

There are a number of folks here in the forum that talk about making money without a web site, I have done it myself. I even posted a formula here on the forum some time back that I know works, but I still had to pay for the traffic to get the conversions.

I wish I had a money machine to help newbies, but even then I think I would have to buy myself an island before I started giving it away.

Even though you don't have money at the moment, the one thing you can do is learn. You can learn an abundance without a penny right here in this forum while saving your money to get your new business up and running.

I wish you great success Anup, as do I for all the newbies here on the FIX!

T J

Thanks TJ, I am thankful that i found this forum.

New to this... My hangups are not wanting to spend money on traffic. Rather spend my time in order to get traffic. Need more information on how people get to my site. I already know from experience to build a list and find offers to send to my audience. CPA marketing is a little different than I am use to, so I need to create a plan to reach, share and repeat.
That's why I am here.

New to this...

As are we all everyday with new challenges! It's a good thing, adopt new challenges everyday and you will find a path to your continued success.

My hangups are not wanting to spend money on traffic. Rather spend my time in order to get traffic.

Well, while there are many that espouse free traffic sources are the "cat's meow", I haven't had that experience. There are several top notch marketers in this forum that have great insights into free traffic and I highly recommend you place your attention on their teachings if that's the only direction you are able to go at this time. Just keep in mind, free traffic is not nearly as effective as paid traffic.

Need more information on how people get to my site. I already know from experience to build a list and find offers to send to my audience.

Since you say you need more information about how to get people to your site, I feel the need to identify the differences between site, direct links, and landing pages.

So it sounds to me that you are crossing two marketing models, sending traffic to your site(s) and CPA Marketing. That's okay if you are, but keep in mind that the bulk of CPA Marketing uses a combination of direct linking and the use of landing pages to presell a CPA Offer.

For CPA Offers, I primarily use landing pages, but I always A/B Test direct linking and landing pages to see where the best performance is. I use direct linking on 15% to 18% of the CPA offers I promote.

For a site example, I am preparing to launch several continuity sites with well placed affiliate offer links and banners. These particular offers are not through CPA networks, I have my own direct affiliate contracts with the companies I promote on my sites.

CPA marketing is a little different than I am use to, so I need to create a plan to reach, share and repeat.
That's why I am here.

Okay @wrcato2 , the most important statement you have made here, IMO, is that you need a plan. EXCELLENT!

First of all, get a copy of our Wiki and satisfy that thirst for knowledge. Get a VPS, identify a marketing model, select a traffic source, select a tracking solution, join a network or two, and select a vertical to begin with. Once you have these in order, select the offer(s) you want to start promoting. Make sure to research properly in order to select a good offer. Offervault has a new feature (WRW Engine) that gives you great insights into what offers are hot and what the successful affiliates are doing to make them profitable.

Once this is all put together, you have the makings for a good plan to begin with. make sure you have a business checking account setup, a DBA or corporation is also a good idea, and it's very important to set your daily, weekly, and monthly budget.

One more quick note, and this is very important. Master these initial selections before trying out the alternatives available. In other words, master the traffic source, the tracker, and your vertical before trying their alternatives.

You will learn to pull this all together very nicely by opening conversations in this forum and contributing and asking questions in other members conversations.

Get busy, you are on your way @wrcato2 !

Last edited:
The thing that always held me back from getting going was the amount of information around everything. I would start reading about how a method worked but never actually got past the reading part, I didn't feel I had a good enough understanding of how things worked.

And now...

Now... I still feel like I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but you cant learn to swim without diving in.

The thing that always held me back from getting going was the amount of information around everything.

Okay, this is something everyone seems to encounter early on in many businesses. Unfortunately, many get stuck in that thought forever sometimes. It's probably the most common brain freeze in this, and other industries, which "Noob's" encounter as an obstacle. Here is the simple and factual means by which to eliminate this forever from our mindset. First, understand that it is all about your personal thoughts and that this obstacle is your mind playing tricks on you. It is the result of an individual meeting uncertainty.

Now, that said, this is like quitting smoking. JUST STOP! You cannot allow your mind to be controlled by uncertainty or what many call information overload, not ever. It is the number one obstacle that strips you of the excitement the rest of us get when we encounter uncertainty and an abundance of information. PERIOD!

Listen up, when you walk into a massive library for the first time, generally one feels like they are in an undiscovered land of opportunity. This is the exact feeling and thought pattern you must adopt with the abundance of information one encounters when coming into this business. You must see the abundance of information as a land of great opportunity. All you have to do is study something like our own Wiki to get the basic "set of brains" one needs to begin selecting the initial entry point to begin your career with online marketing.

I would start reading about how a method worked but never actually got past the reading part, I didn't feel I had a good enough understanding of how things worked.

So, did you take swimming lessons before you ever went in the water? Did you take bicycle lessons before ever riding a bike, or walking lessons before you ever walked? Of course not. You got on the bike and taught yourself how to balance and it came quickly and by the end of the day you were cycling down the block. Maybe a bit awkwardly, but you immediately knew that you were going to master it with practice. That is exactly what you must do here, NOW!

You will never understand how to find your balance in this industry, or any other, without getting involved and finding your balance. In order to learn tracking, one must start using a tracker. To learn about a VPS, one must get and start using a VPS, in order to successfully promote an offer, one must start promoting an offer, and so on, and so on, and so on! You cannot learn how to do it without starting to do it.

Now... I still feel like I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but you cant learn to swim without diving in.

Listen up, I am currently building out three new continuity products in niches I had no previous experience. I researched them, got a set of brains on how others promote them, what the people in the niche require, and built an authority site around each of them. Anyone can do this. Give people what they want, and they will gladly give you what you want.

Start learning by doing.

Get a VPS, you can get one for as low as $29 a month from BlueHost.
Join Some Networks, you can get help with your network applications in this thread.
Select a tracking solution.
Select a traffic source.
Select a vertical.
Select a couple of offers.

Master these initial selections before moving onto, or adding, alternative selections. This is very important!

Get busy in the forum asking questions and contributing to other conversations. Get involved in the community. You follow these simple steps and you will find your success.

T J

I don't have anything new to add, because I've seen all of my fears mirrored in other people's posts.

However...
This website and thread has probably been the best thing I've come across, including crap I've purchased. There is a wealth of knowledge in this thread alone.

I have read all the way through this thread over a period of a week or so, and it has brought many things into focus. In fact, I feel I am more focused than I have been in many moons.

Reading through this entire thread has:
1. Helped me focus on my plan (now I have one) and budget and helped me get P202 set up and ready. Hell, I didn't even know what a P202 was until I found this forum, now it's set up and ready.

2. I know I'm doing CPA with seven search (1 method, 1 traffic source), period. I will try other paid traffic later after I become a freaking seven search ninja! :ninja:

3. Coming to the realization of 1 and 2, has effectively killed shiny object syndrome for me. I just delete that crap now without looking at it.

4. I feel more confident about this than I ever have. Confident, not delusional. I know that I don't know everything but I know enough to take action and manage my risk.

Thank you other forum members for asking great questions long before I came along to illicit TJ's excellent advice.

TJ I don't know you, but thank you.

I don't have anything new to add, because I've seen all of my fears mirrored in other people's posts.

However...
This website and thread has probably been the best thing I've come across, including crap I've purchased. There is a wealth of knowledge in this thread alone.

I have read all the way through this thread over a period of a week or so, and it has brought many things into focus. In fact, I feel I am more focused than I have been in many moons.

Reading through this entire thread has:
1. Helped me focus on my plan (now I have one) and budget and helped me get P202 set up and ready. Hell, I didn't even know what a P202 was until I found this forum, now it's set up and ready.

2. I know I'm doing CPA with seven search (1 method, 1 traffic source), period. I will try other paid traffic later after I become a freaking seven search ninja! :ninja:

3. Coming to the realization of 1 and 2, has effectively killed shiny object syndrome for me. I just delete that crap now without looking at it.

4. I feel more confident about this than I ever have. Confident, not delusional. I know that I don't know everything but I know enough to take action and manage my risk.

Thank you other forum members for asking great questions long before I came along to illicit TJ's excellent advice.

TJ I don't know you, but thank you.

You're welcome @Earl Coy :ninja:!!! This is why we have this thread. It is been a launching pad for many that have preceded you in this thread and with your great post here, I am certain you have helped pave the way for others to embrace their future as well. The posts in this thread will certainly demonstrate how everyone is in the same boat, how all of us must overcome the same obstacles whether they are real or just perceived. I am ecstatic to see you, and others before you, have understood and put into practice the proper foundation for your individual successes. Everything you need is right here in this forum to establish your new career as an online entrepreneur.

You have a plan, a budget, the necessary tools, and confidence. You know not to allow distractions, or be sucked in by the hype of others. Equally important, you have all of us in this forum to lend a hand anytime you need it. Just remember that part of the life blood of an online marketer is research. So, always search for the answers you need before asking for the answers. When you do find answers, write about them here in the forum. Developing your research skills will provide you insights for each and every campaign and campaign tool in your future.

We are all looking forward to your posts and threads through your evolving new career.

T J

Confussion stops me...

I have dug around and in my view have uncovered 3 basic models I could pursue
  1. Create a blog for a niche and deliver quality content (more of a organi traffic driven site) As time goes by and the audience builds ultimately I could create a product, sell advertising etc...but the goal in this situation is to create a brand and become a respected resource in a specifc area
  2. Create a site/blog that links to affiliate products of some description (e.g to Amazon)
  3. Start paying for paid traffic and create landing pages , join affiliate newtworks etc, choose a vertical . eg choose dating on PoF and go for it
My initial goal was to go for #3, but I realised I'd need to be in aposition to loose $1000 + as part of the learning experience. I am fine with this and realize in the long run it is a cheap education.

In saying that I have debt to deal with and people relying on my income so I am not in the position to loose $1000+ into it at this stage.

Option 1 is good and would be a long term model. I envisage it may take 2-3 yrs to really get up and running as an authorative goi to resource in a specific niche (while maintaining quality content)

Option 2 is good as well and off the top of my head Screw95 comes to mind as this style . It may loose me money, it may make money , but is realistic in my current bidget and again proves an education.

So choosing a path at his point become my obstacle to gettingstrated.

Ultimate goal is model 3

Hello, I am brand new to this and just started researching about Affiliate marketing but i am a little confused if i need to create a main website first because wile i was trying to make my account on amazon for Affiliate marketing it asked me for me website so do i need to make a main website and if i do what do i need in it will it be like how i wont to try and promote products or what I am just not sure.

If this is a stupid question I am sorry but any help will be highly appreciated - Thank you

There is too much information out there...that is what mainly stop and confuse me...I don't have the time to read it all and it´s often hard to find enough time to put in practice what you have read/learn

Confussion stops me...

Okay @urbano , you've got a simple syndrome. The "It stops me" syndrome. That's okay, we've all had this dreaded problem. Fortunately there is a cure. You see, when something stops you, it's just natures way of telling you, "it's time for a learning moment". You see, you are not being stopped permanently, you are being stopped temporarily. This is simply a sign that you need more information about whatever you are doing in order to move to the next step. One thing that will help you immensely is to have a written plan and schedule.

I have dug around and in my view have uncovered 3 basic models I could pursue

Okay, then all you need to do is choose the one you can do now. Stop toying with this. If you can't do one then do the other.

So choosing a path at his point become my obstacle to gettingstrated.

It is not an obstacle, it's a deciding moment. You must learn to make decisions and then make plans to back them up.

Hello, I am brand new to this and just started researching about Affiliate marketing but i am a little confused if i need to create a main website first because wile i was trying to make my account on amazon for Affiliate marketing it asked me for me website so do i need to make a main website and if i do what do i need in it will it be like how i wont to try and promote products or what I am just not sure.

If this is a stupid question I am sorry but any help will be highly appreciated - Thank you

So, there are no stupid questions. However, these are questions you should be asking by starting a new thread in the Newbie Help Desk forum. I think you need to get a little more oriented with things as I am not certain you understand how to use this forum. This thread that you are in here is about "As A newbie What Stops You From Getting Started".

From what I can ascertain from your post, you feel you are ready to start marketing, yet your questions demonstrate you don't have a handle on things well enough to attempt building anything at this point. It appears to me that you need to read through our Wiki and get a handle on the various areas of our industry as well as the buzz words. Then start researching the details about what area you would like to start with. In fact, after you read our Wiki, I suggest you actually read this entire thread from the beginning. There is a wealth of information in this thread that may help you begin with better direction and purpose.

T J

There is too much information out there...that is what mainly stop and confuse me...I don't have the time to read it all and it´s often hard to find enough time to put in practice what you have read/learn

Alright @Daniele ,

This is crazy. Simply CRAZY! If you don't have time to learn, and you don't have time to implement, what the hell are you doing here. It sounds to me as though you are not committed to starting a business. Honestly, telling us that you don't have time to learn means that you are not serious about getting busy building a business in this, or any other, industry.

I suggest you reexamine why you are here. There isn't anyone that can give you time. You have to first decide you want to be in this industry, then you must build a schedule by which you have dedicated time in that schedule to learn the business and implement your new skills. If you have no way to do this, I suggest that you don't have the desire to get it done. There are people in this forum holding down several jobs and still make the time to push forward with their individual learning needs as well as their budgets, implementations, and contributions to this forum.

If you want it to happen, then you will find a path that provides success. Your desire is where it will begin. At this moment, you don't have that desire.

T J

Nearly a year now since you started your 'whats holding you back thread' TJ awesome stuff :)

In regards too whats holding me back i wish i knew the answer. It depends really, ive been in the industry 15 years+ now and only 'actually made a living wage between 2006-2009' everything from web design, web dev, seo, social, cpa, affiliate marketing, domain name buying/selling, selling ads on sites, ppd etc.. Many things, ive been involved in a lot more also and now recently I took around 8 months out now at-least im really taking a huge step back from being online.

I have been interested in starting too get back into CPA, PPD type stuff but I can never decide on a niche, what network etc... Also yes there is a lack of actual facts and methods too use for free, if you pay for stuff you get it, thats how its pretty much always worked, but then again there is a lot of wrong info out there written by people who just want too make money and will tell you exactly what you want too hear.

Huge lack of ambition, easily distracted and lack of patience :(

Nearly a year now since you started your 'whats holding you back thread' TJ awesome stuff :)

Yeah, maybe have an anniversary party! You're right, this thread is full of golden nuggets and that is the intention of the thread.

In regards too whats holding me back i wish i knew the answer.

I have to say that I am one hundred percent positive you do know the answer to this.

ive been in the industry 15 years+ now and only 'actually made a living wage between 2006-2009' everything from web design, web dev, seo, social, cpa, affiliate marketing, domain name buying/selling, selling ads on sites, ppd etc.. Many things, ive been involved in a lot more also and now recently I took around 8 months out now at-least im really taking a huge step back from being online.

You see, it's obvious to me that you have been scouring the online advertising and IT business world looking for something to sink your teeth into, but you haven't because of one thing. In the back of your head you were attracted to all of these various areas of business because you had information from 3rd parties telling you they were goldmines. But in the end, you discovered they all required a great deal of work and substantial investment. This caused a diminishing interest in each of them at some point and when that happens one typically quits and moves on to something new. This is what stopped you from pursuing any one of them with vigor derived from commitment and a long term plan. You are likely an emotional person, as am I. We have a tendency to put our faith into something too early. By that I mean we tend to put the cart before the horse. With me, I am high logic also. So over the years I have developed that side of me to be stronger and more efficient as it is more practical and lends to success. Being emotional in business is a ringing of a death knell. Business is cold, calculating, relentless, and requires emotions to be set aside. It takes practice. When you learn to make decisions based entirely on logical data, you start making decisions quickly and without apprehension.

I can feeeeel your pain! I've been there. It is actually a form of "bright and shiny object syndrome". People that are caught up in quick fix marketing products that promise great success become susceptible to thinking there are actually immediate money with no work opportunities out there. They don't exist. All of us, and I mean everyone earning a living in this (or any) business, have put a lot of time and money into our businesses with long hours and plenty of failures along the way. You can't avoid it! It's part of "learning to earn".

All of your experience can be put into motion, but you have to stop the ADD transformations that are emotionally driving you when it comes to business. Pick a field of marketing, create a budget, a schedule, a plan, and stick to them until you master one vertical, one tracker, and one traffic source. You need to put emotions away, be fully committed to getting it done, and when you do this you will master this initial entry into the marketing world.

If you had mastered a vertical, a tracker, and a traffic source with any of your previous endeavors, we wouldn't be having this conversation because you would be too busy making money and living life to its fullest.

I have been interested in starting too get back into CPA, PPD type stuff but I can never decide on a niche, what network etc.

Indecision is the result of lack of knowledge. Always! Research is really what marketers do most of the time. We are constantly studying new stuff that we seek out and then find ways to implement what we believe will produce. We study data all day to find out what works and what does not. This is what we do. You need to research more, take notes, compare, with everything. Don't get stuck just researching, remember to implement. When you commit to being a full time student of these marketing arts, then you will have opened the doors to your successes, and they will come! I promise.

Also yes there is a lack of actual facts and methods too use for free, if you pay for stuff you get it, thats how its pretty much always worked,

WRONG!!! While there is an abundance of junk information out there, there is no lack of good free information. Really, do you think that we, who are earning, developed our successes in the midst of an information drought? NOT! Do you think that we always pay for information? NOT! We develop relationships in forums, we network, we experiment, we develop, we research, we share, and we learn to identify and eliminate the bullshit.

but then again there is a lot of wrong info out there written by people who just want too make money and will tell you exactly what you want too hear.

In every business, in politics, in preaching, in teaching, there is bad info and these people. Learn to rely on the good people right here in this forum to get started and you will learn to earn very quickly.

Huge lack of ambition, easily distracted and lack of patience :(

I'm guessing this is the result of jumping from one thing to the next for so log that you have lost confidence. This would happen to any of us if we were chasing business for so long. Stop chasing your business and create it.

Do it my way, as indicated above, and don't quit. Don't give up when you have a failure. Don't quit because you get frustrated.

Learn to fail as often as possible, failures are just a result of building skills. They don't diminish you, they strengthen you.

T J

Fear of Losing !

Really, just one thing holding you back as a Newbie? I think not.

No one, not anyone, can successfully traverse the business world by starting a business from the position of fear. You likely don't have any true ambition or dedicated interest in this business. Anyone that comes to a thread like this and has read the thread completely (I'm not convinced you read it completely) isn't going to post a three word response. Your post is completely void of any substance.

I don't want to come off as rude or disinterested. I'm neither, but honestly, I do feel that your desire isn't at a peak for this business. Desire rules the game, desire at its peak is unstoppable and stirs the inner self to perpetuate and create. You didn't create much of a post.

T J

MI
Back