The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Gold As a Newbie, What Stops You From Getting Started

For ALL of us to think about every day:

"Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy."

- Dale Carnegie: American author

I feel being a non-techie, a newbie and low on funds are what limit me at times
I did find free tech lessons on Youtube and Udemy
and when I am more of a techie,
I am interested in joining linda.com:)
and other online learning sites, As in todays times it is essential to be a techie:)

I'm also a newbie, and what I still need to learn to get started are tracking and landing page building tools. Still can't decide what features I need and which ones I don't, free or fee-based. but I'm working on it ) and on my test LPs.

I feel being a non-techie, a newbie and low on funds are what limit me at times
I did find free tech lessons on Youtube and Udemy
and when I am more of a techie,
I am interested in joining linda.com:)
and other online learning sites, As in todays times it is essential to be a techie:)

Hi Ruan, I agree that having some technical skills are a great asset when entering into this industry, but they are totally NOT necessary to become successful as a marketer. It makes it easier with some some technical skills, but believe me when I tell you that there are an abundance of great marketers out there that couldn't make a penny without the likes of outsourcing platforms like oDesk, Freelancer, Fiverr, and such. When you begin your business in marketing, you will naturally begin developing some technical skills that will grow with your business, but don't kill yourself learning technical skills thinking they are the backbone of your business in IM.

Marketers are those that can grasp the concept of things like angles, copy, funnels, etc. Finding peoples hot buttons and getting them to act on them when we initiate a call to action is the art of the marketer. Being a techie is not usually the sign of a great marketer, understanding how to get people to perform is the sign of a great marketer.

No where in any of our forums content, guides, case studies, or recommendations does the requirement of being a techie present itself to you. Learning to write copy, come up with angles, outsourcing web pages and art, becoming an expert with your tracker, planning your business out, scheduling your time, creating a budget, etc., these are the skills to focus on first.

I'm also a newbie, and what I still need to learn to get started are tracking and landing page building tools. Still can't decide what features I need and which ones I don't, free or fee-based. but I'm working on it ) and on my test LPs.

There are few free tracking options, but the trackers that stand out and give you the best features will be an investment for you (most have 1 month free trials). Our Resources area of the forum has several great trackers represented including Voluum, AdsBridge, and Thrive. You have to invest in this business. You need a VPS, paid traffic, a tracker, domains, and some things you will want to out source. You will need to invest, it is a business and the only way (in my opinion) to get successful within a few months (or less) is to invest in what will bring immediate results.

As for a landing page builder, KompoZer is a free HTML page builder. I use Artisteer and KompoZer, but there are any number of out source companies that can do some awesome pages for you reasonably priced and quickly. More and more I out source my landers. Our forum owners also have a great company called Landing page Guys that will build most any kind of lander or site for you.

What are your biggest obstacles as a Newbie?
List them here, go to the last page and add your post about this question. Take a moment and list everything you feel is holding you back from getting started or holding you back from earning some money.

I have linked my posted responses for each of your posts to the members usernames below!

Encourage other Newbies to come here and post as well.

This is all about constructive response to help you realize that most Newbies experience the same issues and hangups. Look for the common patterns in the Newbies statements and in my responses. All of us were Newbies a some point. We all go through the same stuff to get a foothold on our new careers when starting out. You are not alone, you are among marketers that have been through what you are experiencing and are here to help you get past these common hangups experiences that hold you back and to help you get on the road to your successes!

CLICK ON ANY USERNAME BELOW TO SEE ORIGINAL POST & MY RESPONSE

01. azgold - Feeling like I'm in over my head - info and technical overwhelm.

02. xyzabc - Feels a lack of information, confusion about where to start, has fear of loss, thinks the business has too much risk, doesn't like the learning curve

03. trinath ande - confusion about tracking

04. vzladxt - Lack of focus, information overload, lack of financial investment, trying to do everything instead of doing one thing at a time, feels its necessary to work too hard, feels many issues are in the way of novices.

05. mrbeginner - Shiny Object, need to learn to adjust & adapt, difficult separating good information from bad information, easily distracted, information overload, not following through, no real plan, no check lists

06. vellex - personal issues are interfering with progress, trying to make it perfect before taking action, self doubt, fear of failure

07. 500Days - slow progress, information overload, silver bullet syndrome, not taking action, lack of focus, needs a solid plan, no schedule for work

08. dddraj - information overload, downloading "magic bullets", lack of focus, trouble finding actionable information

09. generalrahman - feels lack of information, confused about where to start, fear of loss, too much risk, Doesn't like learning curve, no budget

10. xploit - No time and no money.

11. asknopt - confused, too much information, can't find answers, knows he needs a plan

12. auroretan - information overload, navagating through bad info to get to the good info, discovered the need to continue taking action, discovered the need to focus on continued education, learned the importance of building relationships in this industry, learned to love the moment and live in the moment and the money will follow! READ THIS POST!!!

13. winarrow - focus, too much to learn, not enough time to catch up, fear to ask for help, information overload, desire to succeed.

14. armour248 - lack of confidence, lack of knowledge, fear of loss, poor business posture

15. female_9999 fear of loss

16. minzet is trying to operate without a plan, hasn't determined a real starting point, is attempting to move into marketing without adequate training.

17. parikshit fear of loss, doesn't understand the need to invest in education to succeed, hasn't developed a plan to master initial skills required to earn.

18. mandyk similarities of others experiences with her own, the dilemmas of massive action, dealing with misguided actions & misinformation, fear of failure

19. ljsunshine not knowing where to begin, mountains of information to wade through, starting out with free resources, has a goal and is pushing forward

20. sanjaybanerje Needs to develop communication skills, to learn to articulate, isn't involved enough in forum threads and posts, doesn't appear to have a plan.

21. ryansterlingg ryan actually has a plan in the making, polish it up and keep going. Finish your plan and stick to it. You have an established budget, you need to select your field, your tracker, and your traffic source. Then take action, get involved with the folks in this forum in the field you chose. You'll be earning quick!

22. melisata Information overload, lack of persistence, jumping from course to course.

23. knightxking A work in progress and looking forward to updates on your progress.

24. aristotle Fear of losing money and time, shiny object syndrome, lack of focus, no follow through, easily distracted by daily onslaught of pitches from other marketers.

25. invincible Confusion about what a plan really is, needs to become more oriented with our industry, requires more commitment to resources like a VPS, doesn't have a starting point established.

26. tiego679 Taking action, but a little confused. Establishing direction.

27. michael962003 Confused, disoriented, no plan, no budget,

28. Ayman Feeling lost with no direction, knows that one can't create a plan without having to learn the basics first, feels circumstances and requirements for this business are holding him down, has perspective issues.

29. youngs18 Doesn't know where to start, feeling a bit overwhelmed.

30. yafee Has a firm understanding of the missteps and unnecessary thoughts that holds a Newbie back and is ready to push forward after having consumed this thread in its entirety. This is why we have this thread.

31. MikeT Having the same issues as most have outlined for themselves in these threads, has been stuck in purchased products with no return or formidable gain in knowledge, feels the sting when thinking of trying to compete with the big and successful marketers already on top, Thinks it takes years to earn. Has a lack of confidence, trust, and faith. Riddled with fear.

32. anupbro Has no money to begin, wants to start a business without funding it.

33. wrcato2 May be experiencing apprehensions due to having to learn new things, doesn't want to spend any money starting a new business, has a little confusion about how things work, knows he needs a plan, needs to acquire and learn the basic tools necessary, and came to the FIX to gt this all straightened out!

34. CoolSpot Information overload causing confusion, stuck on reading and not taking the first steps to get the ball rolling, needs to dive in and get a plan to execute.

35. Earl Coy (digitard93) Earl has read this entire thread and found his path. He has seen all of fears in the others post of this thread an has replaced them with confidence, a plan, and is ready to be an affiliate. Go get them Earl!

36. urbano Allowing indecision to control the moment.

37. Drakon Needs to become more familiar with using this forum, no real direction or plan.

38. Daniele Has absolutely no drive or commitment to make it happen. Claims to have no time to learn or implement. Claims information overload.

39. affiliate Looks to be lost in the land of opportunity, struggling with indecision, no there is something to all of this but isn't structuring the plan that will bring it all home. You can do this @affiliate !

40. Lindsey Hanley Isn't ready to do business IMO

41. Manhas Starting out by being negative, doesn't recognize the resources available, feels a lack of everything instead of seeing the abundance of everything, experiencing the result of negative thinking which is feeling as though things are stopping progress.

42. DeMiThA Isn't ready for prime time because DeMiThA has not researched, has not built a plan, has not designed a budget, has not read this entire thread, has not read the Wiki, etc. Is complaining about things that all of this would resolve!

Look At The Patterns Everyone! You will see that everyone has many things in common here. More on this after we get a few more members posting in here. Be sure to read all of the responses.

THIS IS IMPORTANT TO YOU!

It feels like a mystery and is impenetrable. There is so much information and much of it is wrong, because after using that info, I've made almost nothing. Now the real info. The stuff people pay thousands for I can't afford so I have to with affiliate fix help figure/ unravel the mystery to making thousands online piece by piece.

I am new here and in bing...Well what holds me back is that fear of failing.I feel like all is so complicated(i think i am just making it complicated).

I have also lack of info how to spy on bing ads. and what verticals to choose for bing. I am reading a lot and pushing through and soon i will put up my first campaign (hopefully)

It feels like a mystery and is impenetrable.

Both of these are part of your current mindset that is driving you to a particular perspective that is self defeating. You must change your perspective.

First of all, it's not at all impenetrable. Not in any way shape or form. You simply haven't had clear instructions on how to enter this business. Either that or you haven't made a proper effort. This is a business that is still in its infancy and there are new opportunities developed and presented to us each and every day. Open your mind and let the data in. With even a half assed effort one can make a decent living in this business.

As for the mysteries in this business, well you need to embrace the mysteries. Mystery is a top earner in writing and in film for a good reason, the human race loves to solve them! The advertising business is always using mysteries in angles, copy, hooks, and triggers. Change your perspective about mysteries. Embrace the fact that amongst your responsibilities with your new business are the needs to unlock mysteries and when you do they will lead to more mysteries. This is a fun aspect of our business.

There is so much information and much of it is wrong, because after using that info, I've made almost nothing.

Okay, understand this and etch it into your brain with permanency, 95% of the information everywhere is bullshit! This is true in any business on the planet. It's true in politics, businesses, faiths, relationships, wars, and in every area of life throughout the ages of all time! part of what makes us successful is learning to separate bull shit from reality.

Here, at the AffiliateFix, you have a group of well adjusted marketers at every level that will keep you get in the know with facts. I'm not saying there won't be a member that is full of crap sometimes, but, by far and large, the members here are among the most straight up enthusiasts of helping everyone around them learn the facts of this business and getting everyone on the same page with learning to earn.

What's the catch? You have to work at it, you have to make an effort every minute of every day. You have to believe you will get to your sought after results. As well, you need to report you progress, ask loads of questions, accept the set backs and little failures that comes with running a business and never complain about them. Instead, seek the help to prevent them from happening again and be committed to becoming stronger as a result of meeting them head on.

Now the real info. The stuff people pay thousands for I can't afford so I have to with affiliate fix help figure/ unravel the mystery to making thousands online piece by piece.

Join the Dojo, set up a budget for each day, each month, each quarter. Set up a schedule that includes your work time, your learning and research time. Start your business this way, be fully committed to getting it done, and this community is all you will need to set the foundation and get yourself profitable with your new business. Do this and you won't need to buy any courses.

The most sought after goal, to be independent, is a fantastic and rewarding way to live. You can do this. Keep in mind you must be dedicated to this goal with all of you heart and mind!

The following is a starting point for you that will give you a strong foundation for your new business. Follow this advice and you can get to your goals without wasting precious time and resources.

Perseverance, dedication, and taking action are the cornerstones of the success you will obtain.

As a Newbie, you need to read, study, invest, and implement.

Read
Read through the various areas of the forum to learn about the types of marketing available for your new business. Make a list of all the types of marketing and take some notes along the way. Then determine which area of marketing with which you will start your journey.

Do this to select an area of marketing to start, as well, do this to select a tracker, a traffic source, and to select a vertical.

Then read up on the affiliate networks and select two to begin with that will serve your needs and the types of offers you would like to promote. Put your application in and they will call you for an interview. Be professional and be prepared to answer some questions about how you will promote offers, do you have a website, are you a Newbie, etc. Please note, if you join the Dojo, we have a thread there that can offer assistance in getting accepted to some of the networks.

Study
Now that you have selected a basis to begin, read all of the threads in this forum that relate to your initial selections so that you have a rudimentary understanding of their features and benefits.

Invest
You will require some investment. A VPS server, domains, traffic, landing pages, etc. You will need a budget for daily, weekly, and monthly expenses. This will change over time and you will need to update it often so that you know exactly what your costs and earnings are.

Implement
This is where it all starts to earn. You must now begin to implement what you have established as your foundation for your business.

Here is some advice and guidance that will help you establish your initial goals:

Make sure you complete the following first.

Every business needs:

1. a plan
2. a schedule for research, learning, and execution
3. a budget.

Remember to read through our WIKI and get to know the basics as well as some of the buzz words in the industry.

I also recommend reading the following thread:

As a Newbie, What Stops You From Getting Started

Here is a set of immediate goals:

1. Get a VPS
2. Select a vertical
3. Select a tracker
4. Select a couple of networks and get your approval
5. Select a traffic source
6. Create a schedule for researching, learning (training), and working. This is a business, treat it as such!
7. Create a budget for every expense (daily, weekly, monthly)
8. Be very active in this forum by researching, asking questions, helping others when you are able.

As well, I highly recommend you join the DOJO as it is full of great tools and contributions for successful marketers. Click the banner below to learn more.

T J

I am new here

Welcome to the AffiliateFix @Mareslo .

Well what holds me back is that fear of failing.

This is no way to start a new business or to operate a business. It's also no way to have a successful life. Fear stops you before you get going. We all fail, every day. Learn to embrace failures, engage failures, and to learn from failures. Edison failed more than 10,000 times before getting a successful light bulb. I think you can find a new perspective that allows some failures and lets you push past them. There is no perfect anything, not any where, and with that all of what we know through all of time is that we cannot be 100% successful at anything, not ever! This means you will have failures. It's part of life. Accept that you will have failures, as well, accept the fact that you will have successes. The secret to any of this is to become successful more times than you fail.

I feel like all is so complicated(i think i am just making it complicated).

You are confusing what you are calling complicated with what is comprehensive. Something that is comprehensive can be complicated. Comprehensive simply means everything that makes a whole. Example, this forum is comprehensive. That means everything you need to establish a rockin' business is right here in it's entirety. Complicated means there are an abundance of different and similar connecting parts that make something complete. This forum has all of the data you need to make your business complete. Complaining that something is complicated, or has many connecting parts is like complaining that there are over 1200 parts that make a car whole. Get over it. Life is complicated, business is complicated. Just because your car has over 1200 parts doesn't stop you from driving it, does it?

Complaining that there is to much to learn is like telling your mother at the age of 2 that "Mommy, life looks like there is so much to learn and I don't want to do it, sniff". Stop complaining and start embracing. There isn't too much of anything in this world except lying, cheating, stealing, and killing.

If you walked into the worlds largest library and you were told that it was yours to keep and use, you would think to your self, "WOW, I can learn anything and everything". You wouldn't complain, you would simply find a place to begin.

I have also lack of info how to spy on bing ads. and what verticals to choose for bing. I am reading a lot and pushing through and soon i will put up my first campaign (hopefully)

Pick one vertical, one tracker, and one traffic source to master. It takes you a couple of months with proper effort. After that, you can starting expanding your new business into other areas.

You can do this, don't complain, instead embrace what you don't know, embrace the opportunity you have, embrace the fact you will have failures to learn from as well as successes to build upon. Do this and the future will ripen like a fine grape on the vine!

T J

Hey TJ
thanks for ur posts here, i read them and love them very much.i have sime questions on ppv, please give me some advices.

which vertical is best for ppv?
how do we spy on ppv if we have limited budget? if we dont spy, how do we start?
which kind of tools we will get from the dojo for ppv?

any other thing or skills we should prepair before sart except
vps
landing page( i dont know which kind is best)
affiliate offer
traffic source
tracker

i am studying on ppv now, hope i can master all the skills needed by your help..

any suggestions ?

thanks very much
Dylan

Last edited:
Hey TJ
thanks for ur posts here, i read them and love them very much.

You're welcome @dylan09 , I hope you can learn from all of the posts in this thread.

i have sime questions on ppv, please give me some advices.
which vertical is best for ppv?
how do we spy on ppv if we have limited budget? if we dont spy, how do we start?
which kind of tools we will get from the dojo? any other thing we should

You need to stay on topic when in a forum thread. This thread is all about what stops a Newbie from getting started.

What I recommend is that you start a new thread, or maybe more than one, with the questions you have posted here. You can start your threads in the Pay Per View or in the General Affiliate Marketing Forum forum.

Good Luck!

T J

You're welcome @dylan09 , I hope you can learn from all of the posts in this thread.

You need to stay on topic when in a forum thread. This thread is all about what stops a Newbie from getting started.

What I recommend is that you start a new thread, or maybe more than one, with the questions you have posted here. You can start your threads in the Pay Per View or in the General Affiliate Marketing Forum forum.

Good Luck!

T J
thanks
i will leran from there later.
the one stops me is dont know how to spy whith a limited budget for ppv.

So, feeling overwhelmed, information overload, lack of knowledge to implement, shiny object syndrome, lack of follow through while trying to multi-task.

Everything a brand new marketer goes through. All of us have been there, and all of us sometimes find ourselves there at every level.

All of these are easily controlled with one very important add-on to your business. In fact, you will eliminate most of this by implementing a very simple but powerful and important step. You MUST have a plan with checklists. No way around this. If you do not do this azgold, then you will not ever totally escape these issues.

There have been a number of recent threads about how to manage accounts, how to manage routines, etc. You will find that everyone succeeding in this business is not only highly organized but is efficiently implementing step by step check lists for all their respective tasks.

At first implementation you will find yourself adjusting your plans and check lists. this is a necessary step. You must go through the process of developing your plans and check lists until they function as you wish.

With a plan and a check list for each and every project, you will get everything done in a timely manner.

Here's what happens after a few times through this process. you develop what is known as Procedural Memory. It happens to all of us in all aspects of our lives. When you are driving you don't need to look for or think of when and how to use your directional signal because it has been imbedded as a procedural memory. This will happen with most everything on your check lists and in your plans because you have done them over and over. In the Book of Five Rings by Myomato Musashi, this is referred to as "Ten Thousand Cuts". In the sports world it is often referred to as the theory for repetitive process or repetitive learning. it goes by any number of names. in the end, you do it often enough it becomes second nature. When this happens, on average, the efficiency and speed at which you do it becomes greater than 100 times quicker.

Make a Plan example:
Promote XYZ Dating Offer
Research Demographics
Spy On Competitors
Build 5 Landing Pages
Build 5 Banners
Build 5 Contextual Ads
Deposit Funds for Traffic
Set up Tracking

Now, make a check list for each of these tasks. As a beginner, only tackle one at a time and in order. Remember, you are training yourself through Repetitive Learning. You are training your subconscious to take over these tasks so they are second nature.

I promise you azgold, you do this, and in just a couple of months (or less), you will be fast, proficient, and knowledgeable at each and every step.

As for the Shiny Object thing. It will stop with you are taking charge and committing yourself to doing only what is in your plan and on your check lists. You'll see the new object and say "that is bright and shiny", then you'll tell yourself, "like every other business in a box out there!" They are crap!
Basic, Simple Advice and I have most of it, ready to go...EXCEPT Building Landing Pages, Banners and Ads. This is where I am getting frustrated over. I have specific ideas of what I want to do, but blow me down if I know what they are called (technically). I want to post a job on Upwork or Elance but don't know A. what to ask, B. what expertise to ask for...so frustrating. I know there are alot of sites that advertise their banner creation biz, but I can't explain what I want. Another thing is, once you have your banners etc all set up. How do you upload to your traffic source...A. What to upload, B. If they need an url, which most ask for..How do I do that...I am sorry if I sound so newbieish but really??? Hope you can help.

Basic, Simple Advice and I have most of it, ready to go...EXCEPT Building Landing Pages, Banners and Ads. This is where I am getting frustrated over.

First of all, never let frustration be part of the equation. You will encounter new things everyday that require you to take some time and learn. No matter how long you are in this business. In fact, it will relieve some of the pressure you feel from frustration if you simply plan on having these encounters. You will become a "solver". This industry is all about solving things.

I have specific ideas of what I want to do, but blow me down if I know what they are called (technically). I want to post a job on Upwork or Elance but don't know A. what to ask, B. what expertise to ask for...so frustrating. I know there are alot of sites that advertise their banner creation biz, but I can't explain what I want. Another thing is, once you have your banners etc all set up. How do you upload to your traffic source...A. What to upload, B. If they need an url, which most ask for..How do I do that...I am sorry if I sound so newbieish but really??? Hope you can help.

You are taking action and this will always present new challenges. Challenges are part of building any business. They aren't bad, they are good. Every challenge presents you an opportunity to grow and move your business forward. This is a common threshold for new business people in any field. It's all about perspective. You must adopt the perspective that you have a lot to learn, that you are committed to progress and the effort it requires, as well as learning new skills.

1. If you have ideas for your creatives, spell them out in a thread like our Design and Creatives forum to get help from the members.

2. If you need help with how to use specific traffic sources and how to use their interfaces, then start a thread in the Traffic Sources and Platforms forum.

Do you see the pattern here. The AffiliateFix is segmented into an abundance of sub-forums that are specific to your interests and you must become active with your questions and progress in the sub-forums that cater to the specific needs you have.

As well, I recommend you get a follow along started here, Follow Alongs and Online Journeys. This is a very active sub-forum where members love to contribute to the progress of fellow members.

I hope this gives you some direction. Using the various sub-forums is a practice you must observe to maximize responses and guidance from other members. That's what this community is all about.

Good Luck, T J

First of all, never let frustration be part of the equation. You will encounter new things everyday that require you to take some time and learn. No matter how long you are in this business. In fact, it will relieve some of the pressure you feel from frustration if you simply plan on having these encounters. You will become a "solver". This industry is all about solving things.

You are taking action and this will always present new challenges. Challenges are part of building any business. They aren't bad, they are good. Every challenge presents you an opportunity to grow and move your business forward. This is a common threshold for new business people in any field. It's all about perspective. You must adopt the perspective that you have a lot to learn, that you are committed to progress and the effort it requires, as well as learning new skills.

1. If you have ideas for your creatives, spell them out in a thread like our Design and Creatives forum to get help from the members.

2. If you need help with how to use specific traffic sources and how to use their interfaces, then start a thread in the Traffic Sources and Platforms forum.

Do you see the pattern here. The AffiliateFix is segmented into an abundance of sub-forums that are specific to your interests and you must become active with your questions and progress in the sub-forums that cater to the specific needs you have.

As well, I recommend you get a follow along started here, Follow Alongs and Online Journeys. This is a very active sub-forum where members love to contribute to the progress of fellow members.

I hope this gives you some direction. Using the various sub-forums is a practice you must observe to maximize responses and guidance from other members. That's what this community is all about.

Good Luck, T J
Thank you so much for your reply....I have finally started my follow along and created a clear pathway.

MI
Back