Are You Susceptible To A Hack Attack?

Certified

T J Tutor

GM
Administrator
Certified Vendor
Dojo Master
AffKit
We live in a day when the most sophisticated preventions are in place with most every government, every retailer, every corporate site, and yet they get hacked. Target, Home Depot, U.S. Government. Hell, governments are hacking government, corporate sys hack one another's companies, vandals are hacking everyone they can, it never ends!

Most of us here are not in the same league as big governments and corporations, we therefore do not have the resources to protect ourselves, our sites, or our customer databases as they do.

Myself, I have all of the typical safeguards in place with my servers, but there is always more that can be done.

Scan Regularly! Daily, and make sure your systems have "live detect".

Update your defense softwares on the hour.

Read the logs of your defense products and Google them to be sure you have the best defense for their mutated versions.

With an estimated 60,000 new malwares created daily, how well defended are you?

What are your best efforts to stem your hackability?

Is no one really protecting themselves? I'm always interested in knowing new ways to protect my work and sites. Some of you must have some suggestions on newer technologies.

i use a combo of daily scans, a firewall on my site to notifyme and block any changes, as well as daily backups in case anything goes wrong i can instant restore a backup.

with wordpress, making sure auto-updates are turned on as well as regularly reviewing your plugins/themes for any possible security holes keeps it pretty secure.

also hardening wordpress codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress is a good idea if it applies to your site.

the last thing is to make sure your hosting is running latest and most secure up to date versions of PHP/server etc.

finally, your home PC or ANY PC that you use to login to email, FTP, or web hosting should be regularly scanned for viruses as that is how some people get hacked as well.

ok last thing i swear, i use a site Qualsys or Qualys scan or something to scan sites for clients and the free report is a very in depth report on vulnerabilities that exists on their site and should be fixed by a high level programmer. this both generates new leads for more work as well as nets me an easy $50-100 bucks per business who gets the scan done. an easy way to make money in about 15 minutes.

This is very similar to my methods. Hardening is definitely important. Qualsys i've never used, but I am going to give it a go today. Thanks for the tip on this. Good way to pick up a buck or two.

MI
Back