The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Anyone Using Ruby on Rails?

tommymaczoidberg

affiliate
About two years ago, people were touting Ruby on Rails as the next Java. It was going to revolutionize the web. Now....I hear nearly nothing about it. Is anyone here using it? Is anyone here even aware of it?

It's still a really good application but it's just not mainstream enough to be needed on most websites. It's a dev tool and many still swear by it. It's just not useful for the average webmaster which is why you don't hear about it.

It's still a really good application but it's just not mainstream enough to be needed on most websites. It's a dev tool and many still swear by it. It's just not useful for the average webmaster which is why you don't hear about it.

I like how the emphasis with Ruby seems to be to keep folks from constantly re-inventing the wheel. Less code, less competition, and extensive usage of classes. It just remains to be seen how well it scales.

I tried using it once, but personally I could never get my head around it. No matter how many guides and tutorials I downloaded and read, none could teach me even the basics of it.
I don't see it anywhere on most sites anyway these days.

I've been debating about learning Ruby to code my poker application that I want to work on both mac and windows(cross-platform). I'm either going to learn Ruby or Java. It seems that Ruby would be easier to learn, and faster to code my project, but I just I want to make sure it's the right choice.

I've been debating about learning Ruby to code my poker application that I want to work on both mac and windows(cross-platform). I'm either going to learn Ruby or Java. It seems that Ruby would be easier to learn, and faster to code my project, but I just I want to make sure it's the right choice.
Java seems like the most supported and easiest type of code to use these days from what I've seen.

I've heard the hype about ROR as well, and while it can be useful if you want efficiency, there are far more resources on Java, PHP, etc. that actually make them the easier and more flexible choice when it comes to web development and applications. To each his own, though, some start out learning ROR and stick with it from there.

It really is pretty easy to learn, but I think this still depends and varies from person to person. Also as you might know most programmers will always say their language is the best/ easiest, even if they have not really given any chance to other languages. I began coding in PHP and enjoyed it, then I went on to learn another language, checking out which of them suits me best and after a efw weeks of trying JAVA, Python and Ruby, I have to say that Ruby seemed to be the easiest for me to get into. Many people might say Python is easier or JAVA is faster/more versatile, but in the end the most notable difference is how well you, the coder, can handle the language. Facebook began with PHP, Google with Python and Twitter with Ruby, so you see, there really is no solution for all, just decide what suits you best.

One of the common comparisons I've heard between Ruby and Java is that with Ruby you will complete the project one week faster, but after one week you won't be able to read the code you wrote. But to be fair, comparing Ruby and Java is quite silly. Ruby is a "web application framework (according to wikipedia)", whereas Java is a "general purpose, object oriented programing language".

One of the common comparisons I've heard between Ruby and Java is that with Ruby you will complete the project one week faster, but after one week you won't be able to read the code you wrote. But to be fair, comparing Ruby and Java is quite silly. Ruby is a "web application framework (according to wikipedia)", whereas Java is a "general purpose, object oriented programing language".
Thats not quite right, you probably confused Ruby with Ruby on Rails, Ruby is just the language, whereas Ruby on Rails is a "web application framework". You can compare it to Python and Django or PHP and Laravel/Codeigniter.

banners
Back