The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Anyone know where this pic was taken?

gedtee

affiliate
This picture is taken from an old glass negative I have. The ship is named the Devonia, so I assume it is in Devon somewhere.
I have had the negatives for about 30 years now, but only recently bought a scanner which is capable of scanning them.
The negative is 6cm by 9cm, so I was able to read the ship's name by scanning it at 4,200 dpi.
I think the negatives date from the 1920's or 30's.
Anyone know where it is?
PS The image below is at a resolution of 200 dpi.

pic.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to be an anorak now :D

I believe it to be ilfracombe which is in fact in Devon. I have travelled there from Swansea (6 miles away from me) on days out on the paddle steamers Balmoral & Waverley, we landed at ilfracombe, and that looks identical to the harbour there.

Thanks OWG, I've been to Devon a few times, but not to Ilfracombe, next time I'm down there I'll pay a visit.

OWG.
Done a bit of research on the Devonia, here is what I found on the web
"Launched on 22nd March 1905 by John Brown at Clydebank
Engines : Compound diagonal 34.5 and 71 in x 60 in
Dimensions : 245 ft x 29 ft
641 Gross Registered Tonnes
Barry Railway Company vessel that came to P and A Campbell by way of Bristol Channel Boats in 1911
Served on the east coast during World War I as a minesweeper
Was assigned to the South Coast when Campbells returned to that station in 1923, remaining until 1932
Served on the Bristol Channel until being laid up in 1939
Reconditioned for use as a minesweeper and sent to eastern Scotland
Attended the Dunkirk evacuation, but was abandoned on the French coast on May 31st 1940 under heavy fire from enemy aircraft."

MI
Back