10 Things Google Wished You Knew

D

djbaxter

10 Things Google Wished You Knew
Search Engine People
Augst 23, 2011

1. There is no duplicate content penalty
2. We see your NOSCRIPT & raise you a "yeah, right"
3. We don't do meta keywords5. There is no supplemental index (anymore)
6. We care about valid HTML ?NOT!
7. We adhere to the robots protocol ? except crawl delay
8. The cached version of your page doesn't correspond to our last crawl
9. TLD trumps hosting location for geo-targeting
10. Pages blocked in robots.txt can still get PR

Read more...

That was really helpful post. Some time people can go on and on believing the unbelieving and going the wrong way of things.

More grease to your elbow.

So that means you can build website with c/p information from other good websites?
Doesnt make any seense, even i am idiot for using copyscape then...

That's not duplicate content. That's webpage scraping. Totally different.

With duplicate content, search engine algorithms try to index the original and filter out the copies (not with 100% success yet) but the duplicates are not penalized - just ignored.

If there's no duplicate content penalty then how come when I wrote an article, spun it thousands of times and submitted it automatically to thousands of article submission sites using the Article Marketing Robot, google never counted one of my links and my page rank remains at 0, despite there being many high page rank links?

If there's no duplicate content penalty then how come when I wrote an article, spun it thousands of times and submitted it automatically to thousands of article submission sites using the Article Marketing Robot, google never counted one of my links and my page rank remains at 0, despite there being many high page rank links?

Because both Google and Bing are trying to index QUALITY ORIGINAL CONTENT rather than every piece of dross posted on the net. I would guess that the original article was in itself not very original (not high quality) and those thousands opf spun versions are exactly the sort of duplicated dross search engines are not interested in indexing.

Do a search for Panda update for more information.

I wish that is right, But, How can I be sure of that? I don't want to be punished by Google to know if that's right or wrong.

Because several different Google employess have verified it over the years and have explained in detail how they handle duplicate content. There is NO penalty. Period.

I certainly can't verify that there's NO duplicate content penalty, but there's absolutely no question that you can rank in Google with more than one blog that has duplicate articles.

Because both Google and Bing are trying to index QUALITY ORIGINAL CONTENT rather than every piece of dross posted on the net. I would guess that the original article was in itself not very original (not high quality) and those thousands opf spun versions are exactly the sort of duplicated dross search engines are not interested in indexing.

Do a search for Panda update for more information.

The article I wrote was 100% original and some of the articles were appearing on the first page of google. I don't think it not being quality is a problem. It's probably because it took me only 2 minutes to submit thousands of copies that only varied by spinning, and the domain name was brand new. Could the quality of the site I was linking to affect whether the links appear or not? It was an affiliate site that was automatically created for me, so it had very little if any unique content.

What I've not done is got rid of the low quality affiliate site and setup a 301 redirect to my main site. Do you think in time some of the links will show to my main site? My main site has hundreds of pages, lots of unique content and I am working very hard on it, but I have hardly any links to it and I am struggling to get relevant backlinks because competitors simply do not want to link with sites that are competing with them.

Dan277,

There are lots of ways to get quality links. Submitting a press release and linking to a relevant page to your site, but the PR links are not what you are after. You are after the links that the readers of the press release blog about, so that means you need an interesting and professional PR, and you need a professional and informative post that it is linking to for "More" information.

In other words, you need high quality content, and then, in this purpose you give some away by doing the press releases. This brings visitors that, if you have done your job on the post, will blog about.

Another is to email select blogs that are related to you but maybe not specifically in your niche and request being a guest blogger. Again you are providing quality content on your site and providing quality content for them.

You do not need links from the top sites in your niche to get high quality links from "related" sites. Want an example?

Let's say you have a site about goldfish and raising them, so, do not try to get links from other goldfish sites, but may from an authority site or blog about another breed of small and fresh water fish. Maybe a new line of filters are good for these breeds, or a certain food is something that is good for both. These would be related, and these links/content may get other bloggers and sites talking about your post and site.

You can build mass low quality links and take a chance on manual reviews by Google or you can use a little imagination and dominate with a lot less top quality links by using the high quality links to create a "buzz" online to get more quality and natural links from people writing about your post or site.

There is also bookmarking, posting on your facebook page, twitter and hundreds of other ways to promote your site and pages.

You can get related high quality links, so take some time setting up right.

As it happens someone from Twitter linked to my site from a press release post. It did not have page rank and the link did not get detected and I don't even know if it's still there or not. Also, google analytics showed showed a few people being referred via email. I have not emailed anyone about my site, so I think you're right jcorkern. The problem is it will take a long time to build a decent page rank without an aggressive backlink building strategy. I think for now I will just focus on the content of my website, then when its 100% complete I'll write some articles to promote and press releases like you suggested.

MI
Back